Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants to see the Pocket 4K in a different form factor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to see the Pocket 4K in a different form factor?

I like what BMD did with the Pocket 4K except that DSLR look and feel. I am hoping that they will come up with their next Pocket 4K II in a housing that is more like a small URSA Mini or something boxy, even with the existing guts, possibly replacing the HDMI with an SDI but I'm so content with what it has, just need a new housing. It will probably have a bit more space to house 2 Sony NP-FW50 or Canon LP batteries that last hours. Same configuration, probably with flip out screen instead, 1 mini XLR, the same MFT mount and sensor will be just all fine.

If you agree, maybe we should sound off and let the BMD designers know. Oh, and they should drop the "Pocket" and just call it a 4K cinema camera.

EDIT: Oh, keep the price the same.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-17-2019, 10:36 PM.

Originally posted by EYu View Post
    Oh, and they should drop the "Pocket" and just call it a 4K cinema camera.
    You are basically talking about a small Ursa version, the affordable 'Pocket' line is fine in a DSLR like shape imo.

Comment

I think the Pocket is just way too wide. It's really akward on the shoulder, being wider then even most big cinema cameras and doesn't fit easily on most gimbals that are not open on one side.
      I'd LOVE to see a version without screen thats longer than wide.

Comment

That's what I'm waiting for, may eventually bite for the current one, once readily available, I would go for the no screen box if cheaper, but I think there is room at the $3k price point, replace the old mini 4k with something smaller. Maybe 2 versions, one for a Fairchild sensor that is a closer match to the G2 as well as the dual ISO current one for those that need it.

Comment

If they made it in a different form factor I imagine it would be a Micro 2.0, probably a little bigger. I adore the BMMCC. It's amazing what they fit into that little box.

Comment

That would be great, and as much as I love the new pocket, I wish it had a more of a camcorder shape, not a DSLR shaped body. Modular, with different I/O options, smart detachable and repositionable side handle....kinda like the Kinifinity bodies but smaller. That would be so so great.

Comment

P4K for me is the best cam I have ever used IQ wise (and the cheapest one also). But form factor is pain in the a$$. I would pay twice for better shape, second mini XLR and better battery solution. Hope that grip will solve this, will see. The rest can be the same. Oh, internal NDs would be awesome but since I have solution for it, it is not priority.

So ir you listen BM, Ursa micro would me cool.

Comment

I completely agree with the general sentiment here. The P4k is an excellent camera, but I'm bummed by the DSLR form factor... a magnesium body would have been welcome as well. Here's hoping for an Ursa Micro that looks more like a Kinefinity Mavo than a GH5. :-)

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by stip View Post
                  You are basically talking about a small Ursa version, the affordable 'Pocket' line is fine in a DSLR like shape imo.
                  It doesn't matter whether they make it a small URSA version or keep it as an affordable cinema line. The DSLR form factor does not fit right for videography/cinematography especially if you start looking at rigging (which most people do) to be more for cinema-like cameras. I still want BMD to have the affordable 4K like they are doing with the pocket, just more of a cinema/movie/cam whatever camera form factor. They can keep everything that they do have on the Pocket 4K to keep it affordable including a display, maybe add variable ND and larger battery compartment, keep it at the $1300-$1500 price level and that will do it. I'm even good with an MFT mount if that calls to keep cost down.

Some form factors of other cameras as ideas for BMD that I think will be suitable for the V-next pocket 4K...

cc-ff.jpg

BMD, if you're reading, I'm waiting for it.
                  Last edited by EYu; 04-18-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I personally like the form factor. Since it looks more like a still camera it becomes more "stealthy" and easy to shoot broll without a sideways glance. I wouldn't mind a more camcorder styling but that would fall into a different shooting style. That being said, I don't rig up the pocket either and keep it stripped down and simple. For larger more complex shoots I have the UMP.

Comment

I advocated camcorder style body after the release on Pocket V1. This design creates a lot of issues, like battery/power. Locking a battery in the compartment is an issue on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
                        I personally like the form factor. Since it looks more like a still camera it becomes more "stealthy" and easy to shoot broll without a sideways glance.
                        I agree. DSLR form factor is much more stealthy. You can also take the camera into places that don't allow video recording.

The form factor also has mass market appeal. No one buys camcorders. I haven't seen one of those in the wild in almost a decade. You would get clowned if you pulled out a camcorder.

I am not against Blackmagic making other alternative form factors if they are profitable but the current form factor looks great to me.

Comment

Definitely think we need one with a flip screen, and a Sony L battery.

Comment

I would pay 2x the price for it to be shaped like a super 8 camera with a pistol grip, Sdi port and 360 degree flippable monitor (same monitor it has now) toss in a 1080p oled evf at the top/back for bonus cool points
                            Dan Kanes
                            www.dankanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by VidShooter View Post
                              I agree. DSLR form factor is much more stealthy. You can also take the camera into places that don't allow video recording.

The form factor also has mass market appeal. No one buys camcorders. I haven't seen one of those in the wild in almost a decade. You would get clowned if you pulled out a camcorder.

I am not against Blackmagic making other alternative form factors if they are profitable but the current form factor looks great to me.
                              Then get a DSLR. I'm paying for a cinema camera and expect it to look like one. It's so annoying when you go on a set with a pocket or a DSLR and no one takes it seriously because it does not look like a pro cine cam. You end up getting cheap b/c-rolls. Yes, you can have a UMP to be that A-Cam but no everyone has a UMP. Then if you do, why bother with a pocket and rigging it up. I understand some wants to have a stealthy camera but that you're the exception than the rule. I don't want the look of a camcorder too. Just something more like a small URSA, Alexa, RED, or Kinefinity with the guts of the pocket 4K to keep down the price point. IMO, these cameras are called cinema camera and are for a specific purpose. They're not for prosumer or consumers who want to do video. I don't want consumers using pocket 4K cams because they won't use it right and they will just give it a bad review. There are a lot more less expensive options for them to choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X