Installing Rawlite OLPF will void warranty for UM 4.6k/Pro cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Rawlite OLPF will void warranty for UM 4.6k/Pro cameras

I recently sent in a camera for sensor calibration (had terrible cross pattern noise) and it could not be serviced because of the Rawlite OLPF. I love this OLPF, it works great, but unfortunately it will void your warranty.

that sucks to hear. would the mosaic engineering OLPF have been of benefit in this occasion?

Comment

We'll that's pretty shitty of them.

Comment

That sucks, was about to buy one. But can't you just remove it, and install the original one again?

Comment

I did try to reinstall the stock filter before sending it in, but the rubber gasket that holds the filter is very difficult to get back in and the screw-in flocking doesn't do a good job of holding the filter tight. My explanation from BM was the "presence of a third party filter" made it unserviceable, so I'd assume they won't service cameras with mosaic engineering filters either (or any other OLPFs).

Comment

Thanks for letting us know, this really sucks though!

Comment

Yeah, it's not the response I expected. I would like to invest in the G2 camera this year and install the Rawlite filter on that model too, but if that voids the warranty then I'll have to look elsewhere or figure out a way to get that original filter back into the camera without BMD noticing, lol.

Comment

Just heard back from BMD and they confirmed again. They will not service the camera. Install the 3rd party OLPFs at your own risk

Comment

That’s a dealbreaker for me, and probably many others. To hell with ir filters in front of the lens. I’d rather choose a different system entirely.

Comment

It’s simple to simply put your original cover glass back in.

Perhaps if you’d put it back in and then sent the camera in you would have better luck.

The OLPF does affect the sensors response so I can understand that they don’t want to calibrate it with a foreign body in the optical path that changes the calibration steps they take.

JB

Comment

JB,
                      BMD's message to me also contained a bit about 'debris' in the sensor chamber. I'm 99% sure that the chamber was very clean, so I'm wondering if the 'debris' is just another way to say "you broke the seal around the original filter." I'm trying to get some information now

Comment

If thats the case maybe you can ask them to reinstall a BMD filter and calibrate it at a cost to you since they don want to do it with a 3rd party filter since as John says it changes the optical path ect. What you do after that....well...that's on you
                        Darren Scott
                        Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Surely this is a given, adapting any piece of equipment voids most warranties?
                          Blackmagic Design User Group UK

Comment

Not Red cameras. Kippertie - yay m***** f***** !
                            Discouraging us from fixing the only real flaw in their cameras when Red does not even have that flaw (Redís OLPF is quite aggressive) is a very odd policy. Kippertie offers a variety of looks with a series of interchangeable OLPFs. Why not the UMP G2?

Comment

with moire this camera is basically unusable in any professional manner, especially if you do campaigns/commercials. not only does BM not provide their own OLPF, but installing a solution voids the warranty? so basically what BM is saying, is that this is a hobbyist's camera and nothing more. lol. expensive hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X