Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you trade your BM Cinema Camera 2.5 for the new BM Pocket 4K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you trade your BM Cinema Camera 2.5 for the new BM Pocket 4K?

I know alot of factors go into this - but I have the opportunity to switch my BM Cinema Camera 2.5 for the new BM Pocket 4K - my Cinema Camera is still in great shape.
    In general would you trade?
    Thanks

Originally posted by kevin baggott View Post
    I know alot of factors go into this - but I have the opportunity to switch my BM Cinema Camera 2.5 for the new BM Pocket 4K - my Cinema Camera is still in great shape.
    Thanks
    yes

Comment

I own both, and yes, no doubt.
      Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Comment

Yes. 100%

Comment

Originally posted by kevin baggott View Post
          Thanks
          What do BMCC 2.5K cameras sell for? What do BMPCC 4K cameras sell for? Do some math. There's your answer.

It is a math problem... not a cinema problem.

Comment

For sure.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

Originally posted by VidShooter View Post
              What do BMCC 2.5K cameras sell for? What do BMPCC 4K cameras sell for? Do some math. There's your answer.

It is a math problem... not a cinema problem.
              Well as i said "In general' the problem is I have 2 great new lens for the cinema camera and SSD cards, etc. I make indie narrative films and even now I'm not shooting raw2.5k but pro res HQ.
              So it's a matter of getting the new Pocket 4k ( it came in stock - I ordered a long time ago) - I do own a panny 12-35 for it. But I guess only I can answer if I will be using the 4k. Anyway - thanks for everyones replies.

Comment

Get a speedbooster for it.

Comment

No.

And by "No" I mean "Yes".

If you own a Cinema 2.5K then I wouldn't say that you "have to" upgrade. But if you have the opportunity to do a straight swap - take it.
                  Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                  Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                  Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Yes. Definitely.
                    My YouTube channel

Comment

I'll assume your cinema camera is ef mount. The new pocket 4k sensor is bigger so you don't need a speedbooster but will need an adapter of some sort. If electronic canon lenses you might as well just go for speedbooster though as the adapter cost isn't much different from one with no glass and you would have super35 equivalent camera. If you are using manual glass then $10 adapter and you are done. You can also adapt your ssd's to USB-c, but not as elegant as just grabbing Samsung t5, move old drives to edit room.

Comment

You could buy 3 used cinema camera's for one used pocket 4K. Just saying ^^, I would not hesitate.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
                          I'll assume your cinema camera is ef mount. The new pocket 4k sensor is bigger so you don't need a speedbooster but will need an adapter of some sort. If electronic canon lenses you might as well just go for speedbooster though as the adapter cost isn't much different from one with no glass and you would have super35 equivalent camera. If you are using manual glass then $10 adapter and you are done. You can also adapt your ssd's to USB-c, but not as elegant as just grabbing Samsung t5, move old drives to edit room.

Thanks dop 16. That info is very helpful. I'm a writer/director/actor not a DP - but I sometimes have to shoot my own stuff due to budget restrictions. Yes my cinema camera is an EF mount. And I have the Sigma (EF) 17-50 and the Tokina (EF) 11-16 and also the panny 12-35 for my pocket 2.5k. I will have to research what I might need in regards to adapters. I have 2 sandisk 240gb SSD - that would be great if I could adapt to USB C - but the T5 is just a hundred bucks. I guess my original post was misleading by saying "TRADE" Like there was a guy on the corner in front of a bodega holding a cup of coffee wanting to trade cameras I meant since I was only shooting pro res HQ on my cinema camera - was it worth moving up to the pocket 4k and shooting Pro res HQ on there and getting 60fps - not that i use that stuff much. Anyway - I appreciate everyones comments. Picking up the camera today

Comment

The other thing too is that not only is the sensor slightly bigger on the pocket 4k but since it is a mft mount you can use speed boosters and use more of the glass with your canon lenses, while increasing the effective light the sensor gets. Me personally i would keep the original cam as a backup camera/B cam as im using 2 bmpcc as backup to my bmpcc4k. But i think of the bmpcc4k more like a successor top the original cinema camera then the bmpcc. For me the extra frame rates alone made the switch worth it.

Comment

Once you get used to being able to reframe a 4K shot for 1080P, it's difficult to imagine losing that ability. For that reason alone, I would strongly consider the P4K if I were in your shoes.
                              Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
                              Pocketluts Store

Comment

Working...
                              X