No announcement yet.

BM firmware 6.1 The Good and The Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just posted this to another thread, but I think I just discovered another 6.1 bug. Basically, there is a massive difference in contrast and dynamic range between the same shot in Raw vs. Prores. I downgraded to 5.2 and lo and behold, the issue is gone! It made shooting prores so bad looking, it was like an ordinary DSLR. I had to compensate by 2+ stops for the massive jump in gamma between the two in FW 6.1, and when I downgraded back to 5.2, changing between Raw and ProRes had ZERO effect on the dynamic range and it showed in the histogram as well as the image. Can others please confirm this so I'm not crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Allen csc View Post
      Just posted this to another thread, but I think I just discovered another 6.1 bug. Basically, there is a massive difference in contrast and dynamic range between the same shot in Raw vs. Prores. I downgraded to 5.2 and lo and behold, the issue is gone! It made shooting prores so bad looking, it was like an ordinary DSLR. I had to compensate by 2+ stops for the massive jump in gamma between the two in FW 6.1, and when I downgraded back to 5.2, changing between Raw and ProRes had ZERO effect on the dynamic range and it showed in the histogram as well as the image. Can others please confirm this so I'm not crazy?
      Not crazy, but maybe subject to operator error? And you're not specifying how you're judging DR. After normalization? Grading? Are you transforming one image but not another?

Anyway, I don't see any sign of what you're describing, other than expected differences, based on the characteristics of ISO settings when shooting Prores.

Comment

Yeah I think you're right - I just re upgraded to 6.1 and I think the Film setting wasn't checked off - thanks.

Comment

Are we even to the beta version of the firmware yet?

Comment

Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
            The firmware is awesome - rock solid.
            That's a FUD comment.

There are a lot of user errors after updates - like this one above.
            The upgrade process resets user settings and people don't know that and think that there are bugs.

No bugs.
            Great 2nd gen firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
              That only installs with users who don't have a battery door.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by jimagine View Post
                The firmware is awesome - rock solid.
                That's a FUD comment.

There are a lot of user errors after updates - like this one above.
                The upgrade process resets user settings and people don't know that and think that there are bugs.

No bugs.
                Great 2nd gen firmware.
                Perfect. People have to stop their eager need to post unless they go through the work of checking their sh-t. Every day there’s some wrong info being spouted as a new bug. I've read that mistaken bug problem post in three different places and on two different websites. Come on.
                Last edited by mico; 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I got today the Viltrox EF-M1 plain adapter and I doesn't work with the 6.1.
                  I read some users of the speed booster version (EF-M2) had success by downgrading to 2.3 version of the firmware.
                  But it doesn't work for the M1 adapter... at least on mine.

Does anybody have the same problem or any suggestion?

EDIT: Actually it doesn't work with the 5.2 on the pocket eather...
                  Last edited by Feon; 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM.
                  Aleksandar Bogdanov

Comment

Someone's going to hate me for this, haha...but who's going to get the one lonely used Pocket at B&H after checkout reopens on Saturday?

Pocket 4K.jpg

Comment

The most annoying thing of fw6.1 is the strange behavior of the focus assist, when you hit the record button it jumps to max sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Minoia View Post
                        The most annoying thing of fw6.1 is the strange behavior of the focus assist, when you hit the record button it jumps to max sensitivity.
                        I've done a job with the PCC4K on fw6.1 a few days ago and I don't remember that behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Niessner View Post
                          I've done a job with the PCC4K on fw6.1 a few days ago and I don't remember that behavior.
                          I also did not notice that behavior. What I did notice that it reset it upon install to mid. I had to go into menu to set it to max which is my own preference at that time when I was testing a fast lens.
                          Ted Ramasola

www.ramasolaproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by ted ramasola View Post
                            I also did not notice that behavior. What I did notice that it reset it upon install to mid. I had to go into menu to set it to max which is my own preference at that time when I was testing a fast lens.
                            That the camera is factory reset after a firmware update is normal behavior.
                            Before doing an update I'd recommend to creating a preset and exporting that plus custom LUTs to a SD card/CFast2.0 card/SSD. After the update is done you can re-import your LUTs and the preset. Activate the preset and all your settings are back.

Comment

Exactly right Robert - good advice.
                              A lot/most/all of the criticisms of the update are from people not understanding that it reset their camera settings.

I haven't seen a single issue with the update - except the good issues.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                                Someone's going to hate me for this, haha...but who's going to get the one lonely used Pocket at B&H after checkout reopens on Saturday?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27582[/ATTACH]
                                LOL what a joke. I tried to purchase the second it turned 645 and dissapeared from my cart. Probably an employee grabbed it.. My patience is wearing thin with this stuff...

Comment

Working...
                                X