No announcement yet.

2019 predictions for BMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are many options that would work far better, compared to LP-E6N. Of course camera like this would be far more power hungry, if you compare it to something like Canon XC-10, which uses the same battery. I own XC10, and battery life is my biggest gripe, other wise it's a great little camera for a lot of reasons. I am also not a big fan of DSLR style body for film/video. But yeah, BM missed the whole battery/power issue on P4K again.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post

They shipped the P4K when they said they would. Some have had some bad battery doors ? What else is there that I've missed ?

JB
      Mine fried on the first shoot I took it on 3 days after I took shipment of the camera. BMD sent me a new one and made it right. There have been other reports of QC issues out there like mine or fried hdmi ports. Battery door isnít a huge issue, but a bricked camera on a paid gig is. Glad I had my Canons there. BMD cameras are no strangers to QC issues and bugs. Itís a shame the P4K is no different because it really is an amazing camera.

Comment

Originally posted by ty_lowcountry View Post
        Mine fried on the first shoot I took it on 3 days after I took shipment of the camera. BMD sent me a new one and made it right. There have been other reports of QC issues out there like mine or fried hdmi ports. Battery door isn’t a huge issue, but a bricked camera on a paid gig is. Glad I had my Canons there. BMD cameras are no strangers to QC issues and bugs. It’s a shame the P4K is no different because it really is an amazing camera.
        What's wrong with you?
        Everybody knows it was just the battery door!!
        Now you've missed nothing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ty_lowcountry View Post
          Mine fried on the first shoot I took it on 3 days after I took shipment of the camera. BMD sent me a new one and made it right. There have been other reports of QC issues out there like mine or fried hdmi ports. Battery door isn’t a huge issue, but a bricked camera on a paid gig is. Glad I had my Canons there. BMD cameras are no strangers to QC issues and bugs. It’s a shame the P4K is no different because it really is an amazing camera.
          One of mine fried as well. BM was great about it. Not a replacement, they just swapped out the board. The whole thing took a week with shipping. Did I say they were great!

Comment

I would think that BM needs to put P4K's in people's hands by April. Going into NAB having not fully delivered on a camera you announced at the previous show probably wouldn't look too good...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
              I would think that BM needs to put P4K's in people's hands by April. Going into NAB having not fully delivered on a camera you announced at the previous show probably wouldn't look too good...
              It wouldn't be the first time, lol.

Plus, tons of people already have it. They did pretty good with this one, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                It wouldn't be the first time, lol.

Plus, tons of people already have it. They did pretty good with this one, IMO.
                That says more about how they botched previous launches than how they succeeded with this one. ;-)
                Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
                Pocketluts Store

Comment

It's true...I think if one's been around long enough they're just happy to see something shipping.

If anyone remembers that epic 4.6K UM thread with like 300 pages...people were absolutely losing it.

Comment

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?15...URSA-Mini-4-6K

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                      they're just happy to see something shipping.
                      Happy. I find this sentiment odd.

I am Norbro, and I think customers waiting almost a year, with money being held, with no idea when the camera is coming, with no straight answers from BM, getting an equal measure of frustration from the seller...I think these customers are "happy".

Apologies Norbro, I just had to put myself in your shoes for a moment to see if I could make any sense of it. I understand John Brawley adopting an apologist's stance - he's got good friends working for and running the company...seems to me he's emotionally invested in them doing well. For everyone else, maybe BM is their "team"? You seem to have sketched out your own area though...it's a special kind of odd.
                      http://vimeo.com/user4142226

Comment

Originally posted by joe12south View Post
                        That says more about how they botched previous launches than how they succeeded with this one. ;-)
                        Succeeded?
                        I think you're a flat earth kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Madsen View Post

I am Norbro, and I think customers waiting almost a year, with money being held, with no idea when the camera is coming, with no straight answers from BM, getting an equal measure of frustration from the seller...I think these customers are "happy".

Apologies Norbro, I just had to put myself in your shoes for a moment to see if I could make any sense of it. I understand John Brawley adopting an apologist's stance - he's got good friends working for and running the company...seems to me he's emotionally invested in them doing well. For everyone else, maybe BM is their "team"? You seem to have sketched out your own area though...it's a special kind of odd.
                          I don't know what you're saying, man...but it seems you're upset you don't have your camera yet. I hope you get it soon.

(Naturally you seem to be misunderstanding the context of what was said. I was referring to people who have been through this before with BM have seen worse. Like some cameras didn't ship for 10-16 months (BMPC, UM4.6K), so those people may just be happy to "see something shipping" rather than nothing at all.)

Is this your first BM camera? You've been around since 2012 and never went through this before? At the end of the day, it's your hard-earned money and I think everyone can understand and have empathy, but please keep in mind people have dropped 10x more on cameras and waited for them for a very long time too.

And a company does not need to provide their customers any information on how they are operating their business.

Comment

I am Norbro, and I think customers waiting almost a year
                            Absolutely no one has waited almost a year. The camera was announced in April 2018 to be shipped in (at the earliest) September 2018. In reality they have started to ship at the very end of September 2018 and first customers have received their camera in early October 2018.
                            So anyone knew when it will start shipping and anyone who thought that every pre-order out there in the world will get fulfilled immediately after release must be a bit of an unrealistic fool.
                            So if we are counting from October onwards - then in reality people have been waiting now for 4.5 months. Do I understand the anger? Yes, of course.

with money being held,
                            Blackmagic did not take the money - it's that some resellers are taking the money. I've placed my pre-order by a trusted dealer who does not take my money just for a pre-order. I paid after I got my stuff.

with no idea when the camera is coming, with no straight answers from BM
                            That is the biggest problem BM is facing in their customer relationship. Because the way they designed how their products get ordered and delivered, makes it totally impossible for them to tell anyone when the orders will get fulfilled. This is frustrating for the customers and the dealers.
                            I think even a video statement from the BM CEO where he says something like "we have been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of pre-orders, but we are producing like crazy to ship all ordered cameras asap, please be patient it just takes time. And we had a production halt at the end of the year because of this or that problem emerged - but now we got everything back on track" would be well received and helpful.

Comment

I had similar experiences with RED couple years ago. Except that RED cameras were, and still are, 10x more expensive than the cameras BMD builds for us.

People get greedy very fast.
                              BMD are giving each and every one of you the best grading software ever - rapidly morphing into one of the best full production suites - for freaking free. Nada.
                              They build cameras that produce images like cameras 10x more expensive.
                              And although paying a fraction of what it would be without that company, people aren't willing to give BMD any margin of errors, or time to learn and adapt, to tackle this democratization of cinema cameras.

Go and look somewhere else if this process doesn't suite your demands. But good luck finding any other company offering what they do for even closely the price they ask. Which in the case of Davinci is zero. Show some fooking appreciation and don't take this democratization for granted.
                              IMO absolutely noone is entitled to give BMD any shit, period. You all happily update Resolve for free frequently. You all happily take part if it's crazy cheap or even free. You all volunteered. Rant over, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by stip View Post
                                I had similar experiences with RED couple years ago. Except that RED cameras were, and still are, 10x more expensive than the cameras BMD builds for us.

People get greedy very fast.
                                BMD are giving each and every one of you the best grading software ever - rapidly morphing into one of the best full production suites - for freaking free. Nada.
                                They build cameras that produce images like cameras 10x more expensive.
                                And although paying a fraction of what it would be without that company, people aren't willing to give BMD any margin of errors, or time to learn and adapt, to tackle this democratization of cinema cameras.

Go and look somewhere else if this process doesn't suite your demands. But good luck finding any other company offering what they do for even closely the price they ask. Which in the case of Davinci is zero. Show some fooking appreciation and don't take this democratization for granted.
                                IMO absolutely noone is entitled to give BMD any shit, period. You all happily update Resolve for free frequently. You all happily take part if it's crazy cheap or even free. You all volunteered. Rant over, sorry.
                                Perfect. The thing is they won't look anywhere else for exactly the reasons you mentioned. So all they have at the moment is to whine.

And really, I've read a bunch of posts where someone who didn't preorder and came into knowledge of the camera late just goes to work, makes some calls to small dealers and they get a camera a couple of days later.
                                Last edited by mico; 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X