Thoughts on PL mount adaptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on PL mount adaptation

Can someone please explain why a PL mount adapter on a MFT BMCC is necessarily better than a PL adapter on an EF BMCC?

PL flange depth (distance from rear element to imaging medium) is 52mm. EF flange depth is 44mm (http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2...s-it-possible/).

As I understand it, the only reason why so many PL lenses wouldn't work with say, a 7D with a PL adapter, is because of the 7D's reflex mirror box assembly. The back of many PL lenses would smash into it.

The BMCC doesn't seem to have any obstruction from lens mount to sensor, so granted that you're using a properly made PL adapter that maintains the 8mm clearance, shouldn't you be able to use all PL lenses?

**This isn't a debate on which camera model is necessarily better in any other regard!

Makes sense!
    director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

The rear element might be too wide to actually fit into the EF mount. The rear element of say S4s or Master Primes are designed to just about fill the porthole of a PL Mount. There's no way that they would fit into the existing EF mount. As well, the existing EF mount is very well designed, featuring grooves and a finish to, what I gather, reduce flares etc. It's not just a gaping hole. Rather than have an either or scenario, it's better to know that they all will work.

Thus, MFT and Hot Rod Cameras.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
      Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Uh oh...
        director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

I think the MFT mount is the superior mount hands down. It's adaptable to Canon if you want, and you can use the SLR Magic Hyperprimes and other similar lenses.

Comment

You have an internal ridge on any EF mount that physically supports the electrical contacts that allow cameras to communicate with EF lenses. This physical ridge restricts the depth that any PL mount lens can protrude into the EF camera mount.

If it weren't for that ridge, then you'd quite easily be able to remove the EF mount itself, replace it will a PL mount and use any lenses you want. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that - there are still plenty of lenses that will fit, but it's a case-by-case basis.

Comment

Working...
            X