BMPCC4K - San Disk Extreme Pro 95mb/s cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMPCC4K - San Disk Extreme Pro 95mb/s cards

I researched this a little - theoretically ProRes 422 would allow the old cards in 4K - amiright?

Any test you guys made with the BMPCC4K? Getting one to test without media next week.

Thanks
    Tim
    www.instagram.com/vautksch

Prores white paper rates 145mb/s for 24fps prores proxy at 3840x2160.

Comment

At 23.976, the older Extreme Pro 64gb cards will record 4K Prores HQ, UHD Prores HQ, and UHD raw 4:1, for varying amounts of time until dropping frames. For the less demanding formats, it can go over 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
        Prores white paper rates 145mb/s for 24fps prores proxy at 3840x2160.
        The way you write 145mb/s and the OP says 95mb/s is bound to cause confusion.

There is MB and Mb. And I'm really not nitpicking here.

For memory cards, we're talking about MB (MegaByte) per second and for data rates it's Mb (MegaBit) per second. There are 8 Bits in a Byte.

So, your number for 145 Mbps for ProRes Proxy translates to 18.25 MB/s.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreeOnline View Post
          The way you write 145mb/s and the OP says 95mb/s is bound to cause confusion.

There is MB and Mb. And I'm really not nitpicking here.

For memory cards, we're talking about MB (MegaByte) per second and for data rates it's Mb (MegaBit) per second. There are 8 Bits in a Byte.

So, your number for 145 Mbps for ProRes Proxy translates to 18.25 MB/s.
          Yep. And to avoid further confusion it’s best to use Mbps for ‘megabits per second’, and MB/s for ‘megabytes per second’.

Comment

Good point, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

On this does anyone have any footage or can tell me how decent the 1080p full sensor prores is? I want to upgrade to the P4K but 4k is too heavy until BRAW comes around. The 4k just has so many conveniences that I don't have yet on my micro & smallhd dp4 setup that I could either put money into getting things like a new monitor or just up and get a P4K which has the benefits built in!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanite View Post
                I want to upgrade to the P4K but 4k is too heavy until BRAW comes around.
                Couldn't you handle ProRes LT? It runs at about 350 Mbps for 4K.

Apple doesn't recommend it for multi generation workflows, but as a carry over until Braw is here—I think it's quite OK to become familiar with the camera.

Yes, there are much more powerful option available, but it isn't unusable.

Comment

Where I live we generally tend to write mb (minuscule) for megabit and MB for Megabyte to avoid confusion.

Comment

Couldn't you handle ProRes LT? It runs at about 350 Mbps for 4K.

Apple doesn't recommend it for multi generation workflows, but as a carry over until Braw is here—I think it's quite OK to become familiar with the camera.

Yes, there are much more powerful option available, but it isn't unusable.
                    Could do, it's less of a capacity issue and more of a processing power issue but I could run proxy 720p workflow for now. Really do like the idea that 4k can really future proof any content.

Comment

Done a few tests yasterday:

UHD & DCI4K Prorez LT 50p - happily filled an old Sandisk Extreme Pro 128Gb card with about 47 & 46 minutes worth of footage respectively. 60p is too much for the old cards though- records for about a minute and a half only before dropping frames.
                      UHD & DCI4K Prorez 422 30p - same as above, filled the card up, no dropped frames.

Both static wide shots of Blackwattle Bay in Sydney from my balcony (not whip panning for 47 minutes!), so not massive amounts of motion, but water surface ripples about 40-50% of the frame & trees blowing in the wind type stuff.

I'm waiting for delivery of a Sandisk 95MB/s 256Gb card on the strength of the above, will post if it behaves differently, only ball-ache is transferring the footage from the cards at 95Mb/s after shooting it!
                      As I said in another post- if I'm shooting a project for YouTube / web delivery, I shall probably go with 50p LT and 25p 422 onto SD cards as the footage should be quite adequate quality wise for anything that'll subsequently be compressed to death anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                        Where I live we generally tend to write mb (minuscule) for megabit and MB for Megabyte to avoid confusion.
                        It isn't so much a stylistic decision, but it has to do with the Metric system and how you actually are supposed to write these prefixes.

Everything less than zero like 0.1, 0.01, 0.001 and so on have small prefixes: d (deci), c (centi), m (milli)....

And then you have small prefixes for h (hecto = 10) and k (kilo = 1000) as well. But after than it's all big: M (mega), G (giga), T (tera) and so on....

So, Mega Byte and Mega Bit both end up with a large M, since they are both 1 000 000 of something—just different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanite View Post
                          Could do, it's less of a capacity issue and more of a processing power issue but I could run proxy 720p workflow for now. Really do like the idea that 4k can really future proof any content.
                          Are you working off of extremely limited hardware? Otherwise, one of the explicit benefits of a format like ProRes is that it is optimised to be downscaled on-the-fly—like having a 4K ProRes, but you set your timeline resolution, or playback resolution to maybe 1024x540.

Have you already tried this? If interested I could arrange a 4K ProRes LT file that you can download and test.

Comment

Are you working off of extremely limited hardware? Otherwise, one of the explicit benefits of a format like ProRes is that it is optimised to be downscaled on-the-fly—like having a 4K ProRes, but you set your timeline resolution, or playback resolution to maybe 1024x540.

Have you already tried this? If interested I could arrange a 4K ProRes LT file that you can download and test.
                            That'd be amazing! I've tested some of the sample footage and it's not doing too well for playback once a few nodes are in there.

I revisited the sample footage balloons, in a uhd timeline it gives me a bit of trouble with gpu full errors, but 4k in a 1080p timeline is pretty good, a few stutters but not terrible. I'm not sure how well it'd export at 4k but 1080p seems to be good for now until I can get a better gpu i guess.
                            Last edited by Ryanite; 12-17-2018, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Just tried another test: same old Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 128Gig UHS-I sd card-
                              UHD ProrezHQ 25p - recorded 19:48 of footage before dropping a frame, stopped whilst I was mucking about with the iris via a Metabones Ultra, so tried again in case it was my using the ASIC/CPU whilst recording that caused the drop.
                              Without me fiddling with the camera while recording it filled the card with 22:52 of footage.

So UHD 25p ProrezHQ is doable, so a goal for parts of the world that know football is not called soccer.
                              Fair enough the above is obviously close to the edge for the old UHS-I cards, but I'm guessing that it probably means the cheaper UHS-II V60 cards will do quite a lot of bit-rates before they fall over.

Comment

Working...
                              X