No announcement yet.

dji ronin s Focus Motor vs nucleus-n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use it in daylight. The screen is the same screen that's used on the Ursa 4.6K and the 5" Video Assist.

It's not ideal, but I use it, I operate and pick focus with it.
    Are you saying you can see it in direct sunlight? I'm not trying to be picky, or exaggerate, but I literally cannot. If I duck into some shade, it's kinda/sorta usable at 100% brightness, but not at all in direct sunlight. Scores of other people have said the same, so I don't think it's my camera or my eyes. Care to share some tips?
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Comment

Focus Motor is nice and works well! Not having it be detachble is a big issue.

My Nucleus N should be shipping this week! I'll update with some impressions
      www.lightformfilm.com
      https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Originally posted by joe12south View Post
        Are you saying you can see it in direct sunlight? I'm not trying to be picky, or exaggerate, but I literally cannot. If I duck into some shade, it's kinda/sorta usable at 100% brightness, but not at all in direct sunlight. Scores of other people have said the same, so I don't think it's my camera or my eyes. Care to share some tips?

I had no problem to use my original BMCCs, or my original Pocket (and that was not a stellar screen) outdoors ether, even with sunlight.
        Also my TV-Logic monitor isn't brighter, and I use it for years now without problems.
        The P4K has the best screen of all BM cameras, it's a huge step up - works like a charm for me.

And yes, direct sunlight hitting ANY screen can be a bit difficult, but I seldom shoot anything with the sun in my back - and even if I have to, it's easy to cover it with my body.

If you are in a situation where you actually can't see shit for some reason, use a hood, cloth, tape some cardbord over it, have someone holding a flag, or use a EVF if you have to - the usual stuff folks do since donkey's years at a set.

What's your brightness setting?
        Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 12-19-2018, 12:09 AM.
        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

What's your brightness setting?
          It's usually at 50% indoors and 100% outdoors.

Parsing your response, we likely have the same experience. The screen performs as expected, similar to any other "normal" (sub 1,000 nits) brightness screen. Steps must be taken to stop direct sunlight from washing out the screen. (I just wanted to make sure people weren't experiencing significantly different performance than I am.)
          Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
          Pocketluts Store

Comment

Seems i found a perfect micro USB power plug for nucleus-n motor. It can be easy soldered to any DC cable. Can be flipped any direction, i guess. Designed to transfer USB power only, so probably may have thicker connection pins for higher wattage. USB male Plug Solder type Tail Charging plug 90 Degree :

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...71941054.html?

Another option is simple DC Power To Micro USB adapter

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

I've had my nucleus N for a few days now. My improvised solution was to use a small phone charging battery taped to the camera. So far it's worked remarkably well.

But it is not elegant....

JB

Comment

I'm kinda in love with the Nucleus N. I can't imagine ever willingly going back to a pure-mechanical follow focus. The ability to move the wheel around on my rig or completely off of it for the occasions I am lucky enough to have a focus puller is just so nice. I haven't had it long enough to comment on durability, but otherwise highly recommended.
                Pocketluts Store

Comment

i just got mine yesterday and it came with this funny magnetic battery li-ion battery adapter that I assume you put onto a 18650 battery and plug that into the nano. Has anyone tried this yet? Might be possible to build a battery housing out of a 19mm tube section to mount and use with it.

What are peoples thoughts on the possibilities of making the rec button work with the pocket?

Comment

Are you talk about this fancy thing? It's a USB battery charger. It will not work at opposite way.

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

is anyone else finding the li-on batteries don't hold a charge. I swear I get about 10min or so with the follow focus then it won't connect.

Comment

Originally posted by shijan View Post
                        Are you talk about this fancy thing? It's a USB battery charger. It will not work at opposite way.
                        Ah it all makes sense now. Im an idiot haha

Originally posted by tmronin View Post
                        is anyone else finding the li-on batteries don't hold a charge. I swear I get about 10min or so with the follow focus then it won't connect.
                        Still waiting on the original batteries to be delivered. I ended up getting one from Jaycar. I'll let you know how long that lasts
                        Last edited by iammuc; 01-26-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Jaycar 600MAH battery lasted approx 3 hrs before powering out and disconnecting. 30mins in had a motor protection error on the nano motor which was pretty random.

Comment

Probably battery may be not fully charged because not enough USB power. Or just the poor quality battery cell under that NICJOY branded cover. Who knows what they put inside, it is like battery bundled with BM cameras - it works, but one moment later it don't works You can try to unwrap cover and and see what is the actual cell used inside. I can only recommend to use highest possible capacity quality branded batteries. Something from this list, but in 14500 form factor http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post249345

BTW here is the test of those nicjoy 14500 850mAh (Green-brown) batteries https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteri...own)%20UK.html
                            "This is a fairly cheap 14500 LiIon cell." "These batteries looks good at lower current, i.e. 2A and below, but they are not for high current."

Comment

Originally posted by shijan View Post
                              Yea, i talk about focus wheel plate. To mount it to the rod you need rod to Arri rosette adapter + Tilta QR clamp. Kind of dumb and heavy dual adapter mess. Or you can get Rod to Tilta QR clamp adapter shown in Tilta promos. But i am almost sure they will not sell it for cheap. If they add simple thread hole to the focus wheel it could be easily mounted directly to any simple rod block.

Another reason they do it in this way probably because they want to protect electronic connection pins. They also could just use more common Nato clamp for this instead of create another new proprietary clamp mount.

UPD. Seems Adorama release price for Run/Stop LANC cables $29 https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=nucleus-nano Just for reference 1pc Right Angle 30cm 2.5mm Stere Male To 2.5mm Male Aux Audio Adapter Cable costs $1.39 on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Right-A.../323433661804?

It s insane how many difference connections and variations of the same LANC interface we have now:

Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for RED DSMC2 Camera
                              Tilta Run/Stop Cable for Sony FS5/FS7, Blackmagic URSA, Panasonic EVA1 Camera
                              Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for Sony A6, A7, A9 Series Cameras
                              Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for Panasonic GH4, GH5, GH5s Series Cameras
                              Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for Sony F5 & F55 Series Cameras
                              Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for 3-Pin Fischer Connector
                              Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for RED DSMC1 Camera
                              Tilta Nucleus-Nano Run/Stop Cable for Arri EXT Port
                              The Run/stop cable did not work on my ursa mini pro G1

Comment

Pretty sure I heard that Tilta will be making a cable to power the motor via the usb-c port with a splitter for the SSD.
                                Very good to know!

Is there a torque setting on the Nano? There doesn’t seem to be as I see no mention of it anywhere.
                                Last edited by Asyndeton; 12-16-2019, 03:59 PM.
                                Darren Hartman
                                Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

Comment

Working...
                                X