Pocket 4k Power Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket 4k Power Solutions

What are all y'all using to power your new Pocket 4k cams?

Are v locks the only viable solution? Even though they're big, heavy and expensive.

I had been using Sony NPF batteries with my OG pocket but they wouldn't even fire up the 4k as I think the output is too low.

Would love to hear your solutions.

For now, lots of LP-E6s or AC. May move to V-LOCK, may try Tilta's handgrip. Also considering gimbals that can power it.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Comment

a bunch of LP-E6's and some 12v powerbanks for backup emergency should I run out of batteries on shoot. I shoot gimbal and hand held not sticks.

Comment

lots of LP-E6's on my Ronin-S, Sony NP's when handheld.

Comment

Originally posted by Amoore View Post
          I had been using Sony NPF batteries with my OG pocket but they wouldn't even fire up the 4k as I think the output is too low.
          What NPF batteries and battery plate are you using? I've been using the SmallRig battery plate from the OG pocket days and it works fine with the Pocket 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by kin869 View Post
            What NPF batteries and battery plate are you using? I've been using the SmallRig battery plate from the OG pocket days and it works fine with the Pocket 4K.
            Same batteries I had been using with the OG pocket and my plate looks just like the SmallRig one. Managed to get one to power the 4k through a dummy battery but it lasted about 20 minutes and the voltage dropped to about 6.3v.

Comment

Same batteries I had been using with the OG pocket and my plate looks just like the SmallRig one. Managed to get one to power the 4k through a dummy battery but it lasted about 20 minutes and the voltage dropped to about 6.3v.
              does it up the battery voltage to 12v or just uses the np-f 7.4v?

Comment

The smaller NPF-550 lasts about 20 minutes for me too, but I was able to get over 90 minutes of continuous recording time with the NPF-970s.

Originally posted by Ryanite View Post
                It still displays at ~7.4v under the battery meter. I usually swap the battery once it drops below 7v.

Comment

I don't have camera yet for testing, but I would assume the best solution for using npf-970 would be with the plates that output 12v and the right cable for the dc in, keeping an e6 in the camera. There are plates that look the same that don't change the voltage, which you would use with a dummy battery. I'm guessing you are not getting the run time that you should be getting from the big batteries because they are dropping below the usable voltage of the camera too quickly. A lot of cheap Npf are only 7.2v to start rather than 7.4v. I believe I remember people stating that the output from the small HD focus would power the original pocket but not charge the battery, so the plate that didn't up the voltage would have still worked on that camera I guess, just speculation at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanite View Post
                    It must just use the NP-F's 7.4 volts.

Comment

has anyone cut a slit on their battery door for the dummy battery? what are yall doing for now?

Comment

you can take the battery door off

Comment

Hey guys,
                          my pocket arrived and I am slowly starting building a rig. Power solutions is top priority ).

New hawkwoods mini v-locks looks pretty good. Is there anyone who uses v-locks with pocket? How much run time do you get with lets say 100W v-lock?

Comment

Some alternate compact size V-mount options:

Hawk-Woods Mini V-Lok 50Wh = $258
                            Hawk-Woods Mini V-Lok 98Wh = $356
                            Bebob Factory GmbH V45MICRO 43Wh = $245
                            Bebob Factory GmbH V98MICRO 98Wh = $345
                            RED DIGITAL CINEMA REDVOLT-V 43Wh = $250
                            KineBAT Super Compact V-mount Battery 120Wh = $399
                            Core SWX HyperCore 9 Mini V-mount 98Wh = $375
                            Indipro Micro-Series V-mount 98Wh = $239

+ you need V-Lock plate and probably additional DC socket splitter
                            I am personally fan of Bebob Factory functionality. If you have tech skills they also can be disassembled and repaired if needed.

You can also check my delayed 18650 14.8V Battery Module project http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?21...l=1#post250503 but it is not finished yet.

User selectable 4x quality branded 18650 batteries = 14.8V x 3.4A = 50Wh (watt-hour) $20-25 total cost
                            CNC body + passive LP-E6 plate + 4pcs cables kit (weight with batteries 370g) Targeted price $125
                            Dimensions: 84x82x62mm

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

I use a v-mount adapter with Sony batteries. This connects via dtap to my pocket 4k. Works fine as far as I can tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X