Pocket 4k Power Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmfb View Post
    I know it's only nine days since you posted this but can you already share some experiences? Thank you!
    Sure. I used it for a shoot this past Sunday. It was on for 8 hours straight (recording off and on) and in that time used about half the battery. It is quite nice to not have to even think about looking at battery meters!

My rig has the battery balanced behind my shoulder. I did the entire day comfortably handheld. I'm no longer concerned about "big" batteries. This set-up was much more comfortable than smaller, lighter rigs. I think the only time my camera will leave this rig is to go on a gimbal or a jib.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store

Comment

Originally posted by joe12south View Post
      Sure. I used it for a shoot this past Sunday. It was on for 8 hours straight (recording off and on) and in that time used about half the battery. It is quite nice to not have to even think about looking at battery meters!

My rig has the battery balanced behind my shoulder. I did the entire day comfortably handheld. I'm no longer concerned about "big" batteries. This set-up was much more comfortable than smaller, lighter rigs. I think the only time my camera will leave this rig is to go on a gimbal or a jib.
      Sounds great, thanks a lot!
      Last edited by gmfb; 01-29-2019, 02:35 PM.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

I am using mini v mounts (swit 98wh). I could run all day with powering small swit monitorwith 2 batteries. All handheld, it is actually pretty stable with added weight. Good thing is that I am able to quickly remove nato handle with borh monitor and battery.
        5A0E31C5-6D69-4D6B-AA3A-CEE49855247C.jpg

Comment

Hope BM starts treating battery/camera power more seriously. It's ridiculous most (except URSA/UM/UMP) cameras have the power treated as afterthought. Shot on Canon XF, XC and C300 for years, and somehow you just buy 2 or 3 batteries and you are set for a day of shooting. I do not understand why insistence on a closed battery compartment, which limits options

Comment

Is this true?
            At 1:26 into the video he says "you can't power the camera by the usb c port when the camera is on - but when the camera is off you can charge the battery inside.
            I can't seem to get that to work.
            Curious.
            Thanks

Comment

Call BM support they will help you troubleshoot

Comment

From the manual:The USB-C port lets you record directly to an attached USB-C flash disk. When your camera is switched off, you can recharge its battery via the USB-C port from an external source such as a battery pack. To update your camera’s internal software, connect the camera to a computer via the USB-C port and run the camera update application.

What and how are you charging the battery through the USBc port.

Comment

Originally posted by mico View Post
                  From the manual:The USB-C port lets you record directly to an attached USB-C flash disk. When your camera is switched off, you can recharge its battery via the USB-C port from an external source such as a battery pack. To update your camera’s internal software, connect the camera to a computer via the USB-C port and run the camera update application.

What and how are you charging the battery through the USBc port.
                  Take a powerbank with adequate output on USB, plug it into the P4K.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

Originally posted by gmfb View Post
                    Take a powerbank with adequate output on USB, plug it into the P4K.
                    I was asking Kevin Baggot. Not you. I already know and have charged the battery with a power bank and it all works fine. I want to know how he's doing it to help him. Is he using a canon battery so he can see the percentage going up because non canon batteries don't show a percentage meter so it won't give an indication quickly that the battery is charging. Is he seeing the red light on top of the camera on when the power bank is attached and the camera is off. Is he using a crappy usb cable. What power source is he using.
                    Last edited by mico; 02-24-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I see a bunch of people are making shoulder rigs but has anyone used or considered using something like this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1291630-REG

I'd want to counter weight a bit with a v mount battery and plate on the shoulder and add a manfrotto style quick release plate. Having the camera out in front here would make it easier to operate the function buttons, when in a shoulder form the buttons are all on the far side.

I'm considering losing the hand grip all together and just holding the cameras grip.

Looks like I might even be able to reverse the silver arm for storage.

Think it would work?

Comment

Question for all of you.

12V Weipu connector or dummy battery?

I bought the NP Multifunction battery with both USB and DC barrel connections. I also got the Kondor Blue DC to Weipu cable. I could not get the pair to work. Before you say the battery doesn't do 12V, it does. It's just fidgety. I wound up using a dummy battery I had via the DC port and that worked fine because of the lower voltage required. So is a dummy battery okay? Or should I invest more $ for a 12V solution?

https://www.amazon.com/Powerextra-Mu...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Any disadvantages of going dummy battery vs. 12V connector?

Comment

Originally posted by Herb View Post
                            Any disadvantages of going dummy battery vs. 12V connector?
                            you lose redundancy power should your dummy battery decide to quit mid shoot and possibly lose the file.

On a similar note, does anyone know the polarity of the two pins on the Weipu connectors? which ones positive and negative to splice to Dtap
                            Last edited by iammuc; 03-09-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iammuc View Post
                              you lose redundancy power should your dummy battery decide to quit mid shoot and possibly lose the file.

On a similar note, does anyone know the polarity of the two pins on the Weipu connectors? which ones positive and negative to splice to Dtap
                              Though a BM rep said it's best practise to not use an internal battery if your powering from an external DC source as powering the camera and charging a battery is something like 30W of power draw. So i'd be taking any internal battery out if running from a V-mount. Plus I know the prores files close every 5 seconds and can only assume it's the same for Braw so while not great to have a camera lose power mid shot it'd only chop off potentially the last 5 seconds.

Comment

Is the core SWX, a cage and a monitor mounted to the cage the most compact and reliable way to over come the the pocket 4k's short comings? So far it's the best I've seen but sure is pricey, a 55Wh battery for 300+ AUD geeze but it does seem reliable where as I doubt some of the sony-npf plate work arounds.

Anyone else seen anything that keeps the camera fairly compact and doesn't resemble a science experiment?

Comment

Working...
                                X