Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Recommended CFAST Cards, SD Cards and USB-C Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Recommended CFAST Cards, SD Cards and USB-C Drives

Heads up...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

Originally posted by tclark513 View Post
    Interesting how some size cards and drives are not recommended for certain codecs and fps. like the samsung t5 500gb isn't recommended for 3.1 60fps but the 1tb version is. I wonder why. same with the cfast cards. komputerbay 256 isn't rec'd for 60fps 3.1 but the 128gb version is.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven6d View Post
      Interesting how some size cards and drives are not recommended for certain codecs and fps. like the samsung t5 500gb isn't recommended for 3.1 60fps but the 1tb version is. I wonder why. same with the cfast cards. komputerbay 256 isn't rec'd for 60fps 3.1 but the 128gb version is.
      Unfortunately, I would take that list with a grain of salt. I've got 2 500GB Samsungs T5's and they both record 60P 3:1 just fine.
      Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
      Pocketluts Store

Comment

Originally posted by joe12south View Post
        Unfortunately, I would take that list with a grain of salt. I've got 2 500GB Samsungs T5's and they both record 60P 3:1 just fine.
        this seems to be a total crap shoot. there's a lot of different reports saying this works or doesn't work. I'm guessing at these speeds if anything goes awry you will drop frames.

Comment

Different capacities of storage, be it SSDs, USB drives, or SD cards, OFTEN have different speeds.
          Last edited by tyger11; 10-16-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

These are what they would've tested without flaw so far, I've seen a few reports on issues with the t5 500g so maybe there is a firmware update coming to fix a few things then it'll be on the list.

Comment

Very surprised the SanDisk SD cards aren’t approved for even HD. That seriously sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Chiasson View Post
                Very surprised the SanDisk SD cards aren’t approved for even HD. That seriously sucks.
                If they had a category for 3:1 or 4:1 at 60fps or even lossless at 30 then they'd be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Chiasson View Post
                  We're working through the cards and start off with the higher bandwidth requirements. Definitely will look into 1080HD modes next.

Comment

That has been the standard for years with flash based media - mostly bigger versions had also faster speeds.
                    For example with 2MB sequential speeds the 2TB Samsung T5 measured 426.62MB/s read and 406.39MB/s write, though the T5’s 500GB model had a slight increase in reads with 427.97MB/s, it took a dip in write performance (241.76MB/s).

Moving on to 2MB random performance, the 2TB Samsung T5 hit 404.32MB/s read and 400.26MB/s write, while the T5 500GB model again posted a dip in writes with 103.79MB/s; however, it had slightly better reads at 418.46MB/s.

https://www.storagereview.com/samsun..._ssd_t5_review

Comment

Surprised the Lexar 3500 CFast cards aren’t on there. I’ve been shooting 4K60 (albeit ProRes 422) and 4K raw 4:1 with no issues.

Also have had no problems shooting 120p and HD non windowed with SD extreme pro 95mb/s cards no problem. Still need to test longer record times though.

Comment

BM doc says : the following usb-c drives are recommended for 4K dci 3:1 raw up to 60fps : Samsung portable ssd t5 500gb

Comment

Originally posted by ty_lowcountry View Post
                          Surprised the Lexar 3500 CFast cards aren’t on there. I’ve been shooting 4K60 (albeit ProRes 422) and 4K raw 4:1 with no issues.
                          That is no surprise because Lexar stepped out of flash based media business last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Niessner View Post
                            That is no surprise because Lexar stepped out of flash based media business last year.
                            Didn't I hear that they were stepping back in?

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
                              Didn't I hear that they were stepping back in?
                              You are right:
                              https://petapixel.com/2018/08/17/lex...from-the-dead/

But it ain't the original brand, it got bought by a Chinese company. So probably not flash cells from Micron but some other manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X