Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P4K Observations thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • P4K Observations thread

    Figured I'd start a thread for people to post up things they have noticed when using their P4K.

    So far I've noticed when hitting HFR in 4k 25p 3:1 Raw the screen dims and histogram drops. Anyone else notice this?

    Has anyone tested to see if the Sandisk or Sony U3 300MB/s cards work with 4k Raw 3:1 yet?

  • #2
    Originally posted by iammuc View Post
    Figured I'd start a thread for people to post up things they have noticed when using their P4K.

    So far I've noticed when hitting HFR in 4k 25p 3:1 Raw the screen dims and histogram drops. Anyone else notice this?

    Has anyone tested to see if the Sandisk or Sony U3 300MB/s cards work with 4k Raw 3:1 yet?

    The higher the frame rate, the less light you are getting so the exposure drops.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by iammuc View Post
      Figured I'd start a thread for people to post up things they have noticed when using their P4K.

      So far I've noticed when hitting HFR in 4k 25p 3:1 Raw the screen dims and histogram drops. Anyone else notice this?

      Has anyone tested to see if the Sandisk or Sony U3 300MB/s cards work with 4k Raw 3:1 yet?
      Unless your shutter speed is equal to your frame rate - in both standard and over-cranked frame rate - you'll see a change in exposure when you switch to HFR.

      For example:
      standard speed = 25fps at 1/50 second shutter speed
      high frame rate = 60 fps at 1/60 second shutter speed

      In that scenario you'll have a different of 1/10 sec shutter speed when switching to HFR.

      If you are keeping to the 180 degree shutter angle setting, then your shutter speed is always half your frame rate. IE. 25fps = 1/50 sec shutter speed. So that means if you go from 25fps to 50fps, your shutter speed will go from 1/50 sec to 1/100 sec. Effective one stop different in exposure. So yes, you'll see the screen dim and the histogram will accurate display that difference.

      Comment


      • #4
        While recording in DCI 4:1 60fps onto an Angelbird CFast 2 Card I noticed that my BMPCC4K is possessed by the demon Pazuzu. I called Blackmagic and they said that an upcoming firmware should fix the issue. Until then I guess I’ll just have a priest bless the camera before each shoot. Annoying for sure, but not a dealbreaker.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks guys, learnt something new today. Something I'll take into consideration when wanting to switch quickly between the two.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Muc! How are you?
            (Remember me? Venice, Bulgari)
            I imagined you were getting one. Sorry going shortly OT. Did you happen to try and shoot on the X-T3?
            Thinking about a B cam for quick stabilizer filming, X-T3 apparently has decent dr plus good autofocus. Then I'm sure P4K image will not scream dslr/mirrorless.
            Beside eventually commenting on X-T3, I'm happy I can read your valuable opinions on P4K
            Ciao!
            Alvise
            alvise-tedesco.format.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alvise Tedesco View Post
              Hi Muc! How are you?
              (Remember me? Venice, Bulgari)
              I imagined you were getting one. Sorry going shortly OT. Did you happen to try and shoot on the X-T3?
              Thinking about a B cam for quick stabilizer filming, X-T3 apparently has decent dr plus good autofocus. Then I'm sure P4K image will not scream dslr/mirrorless.
              Beside eventually commenting on X-T3, I'm happy I can read your valuable opinions on P4K
              Ciao!
              Alvise
              Hey!, will PM you.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've been able to film stable UHD 23.976 ProRes HQ footage to a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card. No dropped frames in the clips I shot. I only went up to around 30 seconds, though. More testing coming tomorrow.

                Comment


                • #9
                  -It's much lighter than I expected.

                  -The screen is really good! It's the standout physical feature of this camera and makes it worth having the wider body.

                  -It's not perfect, but it is currently my favorite Blackmagic camera of all time. I've used/use the original, pocket, 4K production, Ursa Mini 4.6k, and Ursa Mini Pro.

                  -The screen is nice and bright at 100% and extremely dark at 0%. I'm thinking it would nice to use a function button to toggle between 0 and 100 brightness for battery preservation while shooting long form content. Fairly niche idea, but I'm sure it would be useful to some.

                  -I really like the on/off switch.

                  -My final observation for now is one that I'm guessing most people won't care about, but is very exciting to me. The slowest possible shutter speed of the P4K is 1/5th of a second. That's the slowest shutter speed of any Blackmagic camera that I'm aware of. The best the UMP can do is 1/12th of a second so the P4K can expose with more than a full stop brighter shutter. Obviously this is meaningless if you only ever plan to film real-time or slow-motion content, but if you also want to create timelapses with your P4K then this is a great feature to have! I think it makes sense to timelapse with a motion picture camera rather than a stills camera for many scenes and this probably won't be the last time you hear me talk about this in relation the the P4K.
                  www.motionplaces.com
                  andrewjulian

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by iammuc View Post
                    Has anyone tested to see if the Sandisk or Sony U3 300MB/s cards work with 4k Raw 3:1 yet?
                    Now, that I can open the memory door (thank you!) and have a Sony U3 300MB card I can try it. I'll take it out from the Sony A7III where it was very happy so far.
                    "We all have wings, but some of us don't know why" INXS

                    http://athanor.com.au/campan/biov.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Valeriu Campan View Post
                      Now, that I can open the memory door (thank you!) and have a Sony U3 300MB card I can try it. I'll take it out from the Sony A7III where it was very happy so far.
                      I ended up getting some. I let the camera record uncompressed RAW for the full 7min capacity of the card. No dropped frames so should easily be fine for the rest. Old Sandisk 95MB/s didnt cut it with RAW 3:1 or 4:1

                      Anyone know how to change the battery icon from bar to percentage instead of voltage? There was a youtube video showing percentage, possibly on old firmware perhaps.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                        -

                        -My final observation for now is one that I'm guessing most people won't care about, but is very exciting to me. The slowest possible shutter speed of the P4K is 1/5th of a second. That's the slowest shutter speed of any Blackmagic camera that I'm aware of. The best the UMP can do is 1/12th of a second so the P4K can expose with more than a full stop brighter shutter. Obviously this is meaningless if you only ever plan to film real-time or slow-motion content, but if you also want to create timelapses with your P4K then this is a great feature to have! I think it makes sense to timelapse with a motion picture camera rather than a stills camera for many scenes and this probably won't be the last time you hear me talk about this in relation the the P4K.
                        Iím guessing thatís bc of the photo option. Nice useful feature!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by iammuc View Post
                          Anyone know how to change the battery icon from bar to percentage instead of voltage? There was a youtube video showing percentage, possibly on old firmware perhaps.
                          Depends if your battery supports percentage display - see P.38 of the manual.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sam Scoggins View Post
                            Depends if your battery supports percentage display - see P.38 of the manual.
                            That's cheating! You're not supposed to read the manual!
                            www.motionplaces.com
                            andrewjulian

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The battery which came with the camera does not support percentage, but my genuine Canon batteries do.

                              About the 300MB/s SDXC: for the price of a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC (€ 260 incl. 19% VAT) you almost get a Transcend CFX650 CFast2.0 with 256GB (€ 295 incl. 19% VAT).
                              Does not make sense to me to go the SDXC route here. You can save with the slower 256GB SDXCs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X