Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wolfcrow BMPCC4K uglies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wolfcrow BMPCC4K uglies

    He's not exactly my favorite YouTuber

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDbH924eNU&t=1295s

    but starting at about 19:06 he does the uglies.

    Camera freezing
    Squeal
    Missing clips
    Optimum iso disparity

    I haven't seen anyone else bring up these points.

    Did he get a lemon?

    A camera that was too early in the production cycle?

  • #2
    They got pre-production demo units essentially, don't know if the version he had even had the carbon fiber body either? Things to look out for now that it's released though.
    Darren Hartman
    Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

    Comment


    • #3
      Well he mentioned it was heavier than a DSLR so I'd guess it wasn't a production model. GH5s = approx 600g, P4K approx 700g so not very far off a normal DSLR weight.

      Freezing is concerning and so is the noise, let's hope their not anything that makes it into production models.

      Missing Clips was that he didn't know that you can only view clips recorded in the same format/fps

      ISO disparity is partially from how the camera shifts it's middle grey making a dark scene like a candle test look "better" because at the lower iso of 1250 you have more dynamic range in the shadows. But I'm not entirely sure if the pocket 4k works a little differently.

      I expected the sony sensor to be pretty darn good on quality control for things like colour shifts, FPN etc and it seems to be which is great! But more people getting their cameras will build a better picture.

      He does however do a very fair review on it and I think the rest of his points are all very valid. I'd be hesitant to use it as a wedding camera, not so much anything else though.

      I wish it had better battery, a flippy screen and dual recording. I'd be more than willing to have paid more for it.

      Comment


      • #4
        He got a boxed production unit sent direct from BMD. When I saw his unboxing video and he claims he can record RAW at 60fps on his SD card and did not understand why the exclamation mark is flashing I just shook my head. Why is BMD sending out its cameras to people that don't know how to use their cameras? Things got even worse when he compared Rec 709 LUTs between P4K, Arri and GH5 claiming to have discovered the different between a camera costing several tens of thousands and one costing just over a thousand.
        It does seems that BMD has been sending out cameras to people who wasn't that interested in it and not to those who understood it and pre-ordered it.
        Last edited by Taikonaut; 10-03-2018, 09:59 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
          He got a boxed production unit sent direct from BMD. When I saw his unboxing video and he claims he can record RAW at 60fps on his SD card and did not understand why the exclamation mark is flashing I just shook my head. Why is BMD sending out its cameras to people that don't know how to use their cameras? Things got even worse when he compared Rec 709 LUTs between P4K, Arri and GH5 claiming to have discovered the different between a camera costing several tens of thousands and one costing just over a thousand.
          It does seems that BMD has been sending out cameras to people who wasn't that interested in it and not to those who understood it and pre-ordered it.
          Well.... I got nuthin' to add to that.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

          Comment


          • #6
            I can answer some of the points raised.

            Camera freezing
            Squeal
            He's got a pre-production unit running pre-produciton firmware which he is aware of. All pre-produciton units were sent in their retail boxes.

            It's unfortunate he decided not to report any issues to us. Good thing we have other testers

            Missing clips
            Optimum iso disparity
            Like what Ryanite has mentioned in his post.

            Comment


            • #7
              And he seems stubborn as hell, if you read his answers on the BMD forum to people criticizing his Alexa vs PCC4k test.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                He's not exactly my favorite YouTuber

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDbH924eNU&t=1295s

                but starting at about 19:06 he does the uglies.

                Camera freezing
                Squeal
                Missing clips
                Optimum iso disparity

                I haven't seen anyone else bring up these points.

                Did he get a lemon?

                A camera that was too early in the production cycle?

                By any chance was he using a Viltrox Ef M2 speedbooster?
                I'm reading reports that it causes a lot of different cameras to freeze.
                The amazon reviews are very mixed with operation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  "Another problem with ProRes is that it's not as seamless on PC as on Mac. It stutters, freezes and has slower render times."
                  - Who is this guy and why on earth did BMD send him a pre-prod camera? And he says that Resolve 15 lags? Like mate, if your PC can't handle ProRes or Resolve, get a better PC.
                  He also states very confidently that Blackmagic prefers people use Mac with Resolve? (???)

                  I'm just going to stop watching now. This is getting me too worked up.

                  Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I saw a link to a Youtube video testing low light on a GH5 and P4K.

                    When I saw it’s wolfcrow, I frowned and didn’t even hit play.

                    I don’t know of another reviewer out there who so confidently spreads bad information.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      While he does often misunderstand and spread misinformation, let's be honest: in terms of responsive GUI's, the order is:
                      - FCPX
                      - Premiere
                      - Resolve
                      (Haven't used Avid in about 15 years)

                      Resolve gets better and better each version, but it is still not quite there. I chose to switch to it for its feature set, knowing I'd have to sacrifice some performance.
                      Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
                      Pocketluts Store

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by joe12south View Post
                        While he does often misunderstand and spread misinformation, let's be honest: in terms of responsive GUI's, the order is:
                        - FCPX
                        - Premiere
                        - Resolve
                        (Haven't used Avid in about 15 years)

                        Resolve gets better and better each version, but it is still not quite there. I chose to switch to it for its feature set, knowing I'd have to sacrifice some performance.
                        This is just one person evaluation of what appears to be a pre-production model. I have no doubt that Wolfcrow is very knowledgeable and works hard in evaluating various equipment. If you are concerned with the issues in his presentation just wait until the final version gets into the hands of real world users and see what they have to say. BMD is responsive to issues that come up with their cameras.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by joe12south View Post
                          While he does often misunderstand and spread misinformation, let's be honest: in terms of responsive GUI's, the order is:
                          - FCPX
                          - Premiere
                          - Resolve
                          (Haven't used Avid in about 15 years)

                          Resolve gets better and better each version, but it is still not quite there. I chose to switch to it for its feature set, knowing I'd have to sacrifice some performance.
                          It depends on the system. I have a shitty processor but good GPU, and Resolve is gpu based, and premiere is processor oriented. So Resolve is much faster then Premiere for me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Robert Niessner View Post
                            And he seems stubborn as hell, if you read his answers on the BMD forum to people criticizing his Alexa vs PCC4k test.
                            Ignore his stuff. He is known to post misinformation.

                            People need to stop posting this guy's stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                              He's not exactly my favorite YouTuber

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDbH924eNU&t=1295s

                              but starting at about 19:06 he does the uglies.

                              Camera freezing
                              Squeal
                              Missing clips
                              Optimum iso disparity

                              I haven't seen anyone else bring up these points.

                              Did he get a lemon?

                              A camera that was too early in the production cycle?
                              WTF, I've got more subs than this guy, how do I get sent a camera?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X