Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braw pixel binning

Hello,

Is it possible for blackmagic raw to not use the window sensor but the whole sensor while shooting 1080p by using pixel binning like ML does with the 5D III?
    As this would be an amazing feature, as I honestly have no need for 4.6k resolution and 1080p is plenty for me.

Thanks,

If you want full sensor 1080 just shoot ProRes, it looks really good. I was all about I don't need more than HD until I stared playing with these files. The knowledge that you can have the full sensor resolution with about the same data use as just shooting HD is quite liberating. You can still cut on an HD timeline if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
      If you want full sensor 1080 just shoot ProRes, it looks really good. I was all about I don't need more than HD until I stared playing with these files. The knowledge that you can have the full sensor resolution with about the same data use as just shooting HD is quite liberating. You can still cut on an HD timeline if you want.
      Thats what I am doing now, but I would love the BRAW workflow, as I love those RAW sliders.

Comment

I would also like to have ~2k Braw using the full sensor. This would allow me to shoot, say, travel videos, without having to record ProRes and change my (still to be developed) Braw workflow.
        My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
          I would also like to have ~2k Braw using the full sensor. This would allow me to shoot, say, travel videos, without having to record ProRes and change my (still to be developed) Braw workflow.
          Then you're not shooting raw. Raw is the entire sensor readout - if you're not reading the entire sensor (or sensor crop pixel area, for example the crop when you shoot 4.6k vs UHD) then you're not shooting raw.

Why not just record 4k Braw, then export 1080? I do that all the time right now, and even without Braw I get fantastic images.

Comment

I would add to this that it would be interesting for 120fps slow motion, to have the full sensor size on a HD resolution data file.

Like this 120fps slow motion would suffer from the different look of the cropped windowed mode.

Anybody else would like this?

Comment

Originally posted by headache62 View Post
              Then you're not shooting raw. Raw is the entire sensor readout - if you're not reading the entire sensor (or sensor crop pixel area, for example the crop when you shoot 4.6k vs UHD) then you're not shooting raw.

Why not just record 4k Braw, then export 1080? I do that all the time right now, and even without Braw I get fantastic images.
              Magic Lantern is doing this with the 5D III, so technically it could be done with pixel binning. And the hardware from BM is prob superior then that of Canon, so I think it should technically be possible.

Comment

That's the thing: just average every four R pixels into one, and same with the other colors, then store using Braw. I know I could just shoot 4k Braw but that takes more storage. But you've got a point: if I shoot 4k then I can go with a higher compression ratio. A travel video shot over two weeks would require 2TB of data using 4k RAW 3:1, Braw 6:1 brings that down to 1TB, 1080p Braw 6:1 would be 256GB. If instead I shoot 4k Braw 12:1, it's 512GB. Not too bad, I guess...
                My YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                X