No announcement yet.

Pocket 4k open gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is this a 4/3rds sensor? As you can see it is 10mm from top to bottom, this is a 17:9 aspect ratio, not 4:3. Yes it is set in a 4:3rds area black frame, but thst is not the sensor active area.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 10-07-2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
      How is this a 4/3rds sensor?
      Squish it.
      Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
      Pocketluts Store

Comment

How is this a 4/3rds sensor? As you can see it is 10mm from top to bottom, this is a 17:9 aspect ratio, not 4:3. Yes it is set in a 4:3rds area black frame, but thst is not the sensor active area.
        If you actually measure the sensor of the image, you'll find that the proportion is much more similar to 4/3 than to 19/10.
        Here: Screenshot_2018-10-08-16-51-15-1.jpg

It's like 1,4:1. The numbers of the measurements are off, purposedly so, I guess.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Fauxto; 10-08-2018, 09:12 AM.
        Álex Montoya on IMDB
        https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

OK I went to bhpohoto and copied the biggest front picture of the p4k I could get (this pic), pasted that on paint and measured the sensor: it's 82x59 pixels on that image, which is 1.39x, so, yeah, the silicon is four thirds.

But the "it's not the same part number as the sensor in the GH5s" quote can mean that part of that silicon is not lit: there are photosites there, but maybe there are no ADC units that can take that info anywhere, or maybe there are ADC units but they're not connected to LVDS ports. Or maybe BlackMagic is evil and doesn't want to give you the features you want, but given what they do bring out, I find that very hard to believe.
          My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
            OK I went to bhpohoto and copied the biggest front picture of the p4k I could get (this pic), pasted that on paint and measured the sensor: it's 82x59 pixels on that image, which is 1.39x, so, yeah, the silicon is four thirds.

But the "it's not the same part number as the sensor in the GH5s" quote can mean that part of that silicon is not lit: there are photosites there, but maybe there are no ADC units that can take that info anywhere, or maybe there are ADC units but they're not connected to LVDS ports. Or maybe BlackMagic is evil and doesn't want to give you the features you want, but given what they do bring out, I find that very hard to believe.
            Yeah, absolutely, I'm not complaining one bit. I'd prefer a 4/3s option, but the camera is amazing just as it is. I just find it funny that they did that strange thing with the measurements in the pic of the sensor.
            Álex Montoya on IMDB

Comment

These are not actual photos but rather artist renderings at any rate, and not that accurate to be taking measurements from. Yes, my example included. Regardless of rhe actual overall sensor measurement, only 18.96 (full width) by 10mm is being used, or is the active available area. So you are not going to get any more height from this sensor, and a 4:3 is going to be a crop from the 18:96x10mm (17:9) area.

If,you compare the front view of the B&H photo/rendering posted above with a GH5/S phot below, you will see the differences, even if they appear similar, the Pocket 4K sensor area is not as tall.

Cheers
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Denny Smith; 10-08-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

These are not actual photos but rather artist renderings at any rate, and not that accurate to be taking measurements from. Yes, my example included. Regardless of rhe actual overall sensor measurement, only 18.96 (full width) by 10mm is being used, or is the active available area. So you are not going to get any more height from this sensor, and a 4:3 is going to be a crop from the 18:96x10mm (17:9) area.
                Cheers
                The sensor is squarish, as is the GH5s', but not all of it is active.
                Álex Montoya on IMDB

Comment

Working...
                X