Active mft mount requested during delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active mft mount requested during delay

On 12/14/12 Grant stated good news that production of ef mount cameras will increase. The mft mount will be delayed however. If they can make the mft mount active during this delay it will many of us very happy. The active mft mount should not be harder to implement than the ef mount. It would allow us to use many great panasonic and olympus lens. The active mft mount now makes more sense than doing it later so they don't have to change the production line. This is a humble request from one who waited so patiently. Anyone else interested in active mft mount if there no additional delay?

Originally posted by rizibo View Post
    On 12/14/12 Grant stated good news that production of ef mount cameras will increase. The mft mount will be delayed however. If they can make the mft mount active during this delay it will many of us very happy. The active mft mount should not be harder to implement than the ef mount. It would allow us to use many great panasonic and olympus lens. The active mft mount now makes more sense than doing it later so they don't have to change the production line. This is a humble request from one who waited so patiently. Anyone else interested in active mft mount if there no additional delay?
    This has already been talked about extensively. They are barely able to get the EF mounts out the door fast enough to clear up the backlog, let alone get distracted. I was about to say more, but it's already been talked about.
    Last edited by adam777; 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

The delay is new and the active mft mount in the context of this delay has not been discussed. I am asking for the ability of controlling iris and focus only especially with my Leica panasonic 25mm 1.4 lens which I think will make some of the best images with the bmcc. The active mft mount with just iris and focus controll only would not be too difficult. They can delay stabilization control if they think it is too hard to do quickly. The active mft Leica lens are so good and it would be a shame if they can't be used.

Comment

I believe they already have quite a lot of passive mft mount version cameras prebuild just waiting for a sensor.
        -John Bauer-

Comment

It's actually quite a lot of work to do an active m4/3 mount. It's not only the electronic things, but believe it or not, the mechanical as well. It actually took months to get the EF going and even then, there's still shortcomings where it's not compatible with every posisble lens.

They are not a huge team so they are prioritising other things. I'm sure it will happen at some point though.

jb

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
            It's actually quite a lot of work to do an active m4/3 mount. It's not only the electronic things, but believe it or not, the mechanical as well. It actually took months to get the EF going and even then, there's still shortcomings where it's not compatible with every posisble lens.

They are not a huge team so they are prioritising other things. I'm sure it will happen at some point though.

jb
            John is it fair to assume that you can't talk about EF lens support that may be coming because of your NDA? There really are some extremely popular lenses that are currently unsupported.

Comment

Oh, Me! I want an active MFT mount.
              Saying that the request will distract the BM team is a bit dumb. If they are reading some random forum on the net, Id say they are already distracted

Any way here's hoping for an active MFT mount in the near future.
              Producer-Director at Jackson Speed PTY LTD. Media Production in Sydney
              Also, freelance DOP.

Web Site: www.jacksonspeed.com
              Show Reel:vimeo
              FaceBook: Jackson Speed
              Blog: AnyCameraWillDo.com
              FaceBook::
              AnyCameraWillDo

Comment

Originally posted by rizibo View Post
                The delay is new and the active mft mount in the context of this delay has not been discussed. I am asking for the ability of controlling iris and focus only especially with my Leica panasonic 25mm 1.4 lens which I think will make some of the best images with the bmcc. The active mft mount with just iris and focus controll only would not be too difficult. They can delay stabilization control if they think it is too hard to do quickly. The active mft Leica lens are so good and it would be a shame if they can't be used.
                i feel you about not being able to use certain lenses , but the all idea of Mft was to enable as much different lenses and mounts as possible within certain boundaries which most of them including pl cinema lenses are manual , it would be better to custom mod this lenses to have an aperture ring than to ask bmd something which is difficult as john said , and potentially could set us back waiting for the Mft version even further ( there are allot of lenses out there for m4/3 which are fully manual for now )

Comment

It would be nice if they added the contacts to the mount, even if they still advertise it as passive. It would be nice to feel like someday maybe it would be firmware upgradeable, if the team ever found the time. Not that its a dealbreaker for me. I'm just a fan of having features I know I will never use (years of being a sony operator got me used to that scenario) So long as they aren't easy to accidentally activate without knowing it--like it is on almost every sony.
                  Michael Collier, II
                  Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
                  IMDB

Comment

A buddy of mine just received his gh3 with the Lumix 12-35mm F2.8, Lumix 35-100mm F2.8, and the Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 and I was shocked at how sharp these lenses where on the gh3. He dialed the sharpness all the way down in camera and it was pretty stunning. I'm not sure these lenses are necessarily ones I would pick to tell a story with but if you are looking for clean results, those Lumix lenses are no joke. I've pretty much used every single Zeiss ZE and Canon EF mount lens under 300mm and these Lumix lenses are impressive. I think the limitation is clearly the gh3s 8 biit compressed codec and not the glass. If these lenses where somehow able to work on a future Active MFT mount BMCC, that would be an awesome thing for those who are looking for pristine images more so than lenses that impart their own "look" or "character". I can't really comment on CA, since their wasn't any noticeable on the shots he took but imagine under the right conditions it would be there, and the light fall of at the corners was still there but better than most lenses I've seen including many primes. Barrel/Pincusion was very well controlled throughout the entire zoom range. Obviously no lens is perfect but these 2 zooms and 1 prime are very, very good and would love to have these available as an option, specially for shooting a lot of the medical, pharmaceutical, educational, corporate type of stuff I do. For the creative stuff I would look elsewhere but for clean images I can not comment enough on how much I would love to use these on a BMCC that was doing the electronic voodoo that's going on between the gh3 and the lumix lenses. The communication between camera and lens is ridiculously good. He put the gh3 with the 35-100mm on a dolly track. Using the touch screen focus he tapped on the person's face and then started his move in. Camera did an amazing job of keeping his face in focus the whole way. Also did a 2 person set up racking back and forth between the 2 using the touch screen and bam! No hunting for focus just a clean transition. For many simple moves I don't think a follow focus will be needed. Obvioulsy if you want to control the speed of the rack focus or if you have something more complicated you will still want a follow focus along with an AC or Focus Puller who knows what they are doing but it's these kind of features that I would love to see implemented in a future BMCC. I wsh I could combine some of the BMCC's and GH3's features together.

Comment

It's really and truly is not as simple as "adding some pins" so they can be done later.

jb

Comment

Originally posted by t.p. View Post
                        i feel you about not being able to use certain lenses , but the all idea of Mft was to enable as much different lenses and mounts as possible within certain boundaries which most of them including pl cinema lenses are manual , it would be better to custom mod this lenses to have an aperture ring than to ask bmd something which is difficult as john said , and potentially could set us back waiting for the Mft version even further ( there are allot of lenses out there for m4/3 which are fully manual for now )

I don't think you can cine mod the panasonic leica 25mm 1.4 because it doesn't have a aperture ring and focus is also by wire.

Comment

[QUOTE=David;40787]A buddy of mine just received his gh3 with the Lumix 12-35mm F2.8, Lumix 35-100mm F2.8, and the Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 and I was shocked at how sharp these lenses where on the gh3.

I also love the color rendition of the leica with colors so magical especially the skin tones. The bokeh is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                            It's really and truly is not as simple as "adding some pins" so they can be done later.

jb

I would be nice if panasonic or olympus could work with black magic to expedite making an active mft mount. Active mount on the bmcc could be beneficial to panasonic and olympus because more people would buy the lumix and olympus mft lens. It would be a win/win situation for all.

Comment

I'm not certain of where this post is heading ... But.
                              My take on a practical all enveloping x3 magnifying hood for BMCC. My cost $4!!!! Key ingredient, empty food container. View this if interested. Cheers.

https://vimeo.com/71568083

Comment

Working...
                              X