Gen 4 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
    CaptainHook, if you can comment, is Extended Video going to be added to the UM and Micro cameras at some point?
    Thanks, understand if you are not allowed to comment on this just yet, but hopefully it is something we can look forward to.

Also, you can use the V4 features in Resolve 15 with the UM Raw files, is their going to be a V4 update for these cameras, or is it really needed?
    Cheers
    Extended viewing would be amazing to have on the micro, sick of viewing film log because I don't have a lut capable monitor and the video preset clips the highlights so it's impossible to expose with. +1

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
      Yes, Extended Video is designed to work with Gen 4 colour. It's our new recommended preview look/LUT that's also a great starting point for a grade.
      Is this lut that converts to extended video meant to be used as a final node, as most luts, or as a first node prior to the grade? I ask this because extended video is supposed to push the DR of the camera, so maybe it makes more sense to grade afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
        Yes, Extended Video is designed to work with Gen 4 colour. It's our new recommended preview look/LUT that's also a great starting point for a grade.
        This is going to be fun with the new P4k.

Comment

David, from what I understand, Extended Video pushes the DR of the image past what Rec709would give, Film Log and Raw would push the DR even more. Used for final delivery, Extended Video show more DR than Rec709, making use of the existing DR in the original Film Log or Raw file.
          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
            David, from what I understand, Extended Video pushes the DR of the image past what Rec709would give, Film Log and Raw would push the DR even more. Used for final delivery, Extended Video show more DR than Rec709, making use of the existing DR in the original Film Log or Raw file.
            Cheers
            Thanks Denny. Sounds great! Now, all there's left is for BM to release a fw update so we can use gen4 with prores too

Comment

Sow till this work with BMPC 4K footage or are we relegated to having to use Film V1, 2 or 3?
              Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
              http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Comment

Originally posted by daydreamersproductions View Post
                Sow till this work with BMPC 4K footage or are we relegated to having to use Film V1, 2 or 3?
                Yes, BMPCC4K will use Gen4 Color Science as well.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

Originally posted by daydreamersproductions View Post
                  Yes, no. The meat and potatos of the config is in #20 and #29 of this thread.

Comment

I've been playing with previously difficult to grade BMPCC footage because of bad lighting with Gen 4 and Extended Video and they are now completely useable. Is Gen 4 only going to be available for Ursa Minis or are they comming to older cameras too?

Comment

• I took my UMP to Cinegear to record some footage with Nisi's F3 full frame lenses and Atlas Orion's anamorphic lenses. Just took some of the footage into Resolve, used color science 4 and the Extended Video LUT, no other corrections. In love with the new color science - great skin tones and an amazing amount of dynamic range retained with the LUT.

NISI F3 with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.13.2.jpg

NISI F3 with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.4.2.jpg

NISI F3 with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.4.3.jpg

Atlas Orion with UPM Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.5.1.jpg

Atlas Orion with UPM Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.15.1.jpg

Atlas Orion with UPM Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.6.1.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam E View Post
                        used color science 4 and the Extended Video LUT, no other corrections. In love with the new color science - great skin tones and an amazing amount of dynamic range retained with the LUT.
                        Nice to see, thank you for sharing!
                        Blackmagic Design
                        My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam E View Post
                          I took my UMP to Cinegear to record some footage with Nisi's F3 full frame lenses and Atlas Orion's anamorphic lenses. Just took some of the footage into Resolve, used color science 4 and the Extended Video LUT, no other corrections. In love with the new color science - great skin tones and an amazing amount of dynamic range retained with the LUT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26646[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26647[/ATTACH]
                          Ooh man, anamorphic really makes the ump shine.

Comment

• some more anamorphic shots with a Contax/Kowa16h/Rectilux/lowcon combo, same coloring setup, v4 with the extended video lut, no other corrections (I could have dialed WB in a little better on some of them) what a killer lut, if i can record straight to this in cam with this color and lut, i could definitely convince producers to use this for broadcast work

Contax Kowa with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.52.1.jpg

Contax Kowa with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.103.1.jpg

Contax Kowa with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.117.1.jpg

Contax Kowa with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.130.1.jpg

Contax Kowa with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.138.1.jpg

Contax Kowa with UMP Cv4 ExtVidLUT_1.150.1.jpg
                            Last edited by Adam E; 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Could it be that your anamorphic lens is a bit misaligned? Some shots seem to be tilted to the right.
                              Apart from that: beautiful classic look.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                                Could it be that your anamorphic lens is a bit misaligned? Some shots seem to be tilted to the right.
                                Apart from that: beautiful classic look.
                                Yep, the contax/kowa/rectilux combo is very much cobbled together at this point. I haven't had time to find a really solid mounting solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X