Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Modifying an EF mount BMCC to MFT

Hey everyone,

I was looking at my old Blackmagic Cinema Camera yesterday, pondering some sort of future for it and weighing up my options. The body is now quite old, it's had a good run and I could easily sell it for a decent fraction of what it was purchased for. This is of course, the easiest option. However, another option came to mind that offers more: that I could re-purpose the BMCC to extend its shelf life. I think it'd be more fun to opt for the latter.

Given the rise in MFT cameras, I'd like to explore the possibility in modifying the EF camera to a MFT mount. Wooden Camera have done similar things by replacing the BMPC4k with a PL mount, and the MFT version of the BMCC was a passive mount anyway (there are no electrical pin connections) so how challenging could this modification be?

There is a surplus of used EF mount BMCCs kicking around online and I think a successful, well-documented modification to MFT would be greatly beneficial and empowering for the Blackmagic community. Especially for existing BMCC users looking to purchase the new BMPC4k, adding the convenience of 2 cameras yielding the same lens mount.

I understand this project could go in either direction, however with the guidance of the community and their experiences, I'm confident I could turn the MFT modification into a reality. I also think I could do it relatively cheaply using pieces from a Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, or something similar.

Additional avenues I'm considering include creating an pseudo-active MFT mount with a Metabones Speedbooster, which would be internally powered via the camera's existing connections to the adaptor's Micro-USB socket. Anyone who has used a Metabones T Speed Booster 0.64x's input here would be invaluable.

Has anyone seen a modification like this done before? If you have any advice I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Last edited by zeehaen; 07-31-2018, 08:27 PM.

mmmmm sounds pretty difficult, You'd have to get all the cutting and measurements bang on to not have any focusing issues. Though I'm not sure if the EF mount and flange van be simply unbolted? that'd make it a lot easier.

But ultimately unless you can turn it into an active MFT mount then you're probably better off picking up a cheap MFT BMCC once the pocket 4k comes out and save the hassle.

Comment

I think you would be better off trying to instal a speedbooster optic in the flange of the existing mount, like what some are doing with the 4K ursa.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
        I think you would be better off trying to instal a speedbooster optic in the flange of the existing mount, like what some are doing with the 4K ursa.
        I wonder how you'd figure out the placement? Sounds more achieveable though.

Comment

Captain Obvious to the rescue.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/med...se/20120907-01

Comment

Yes, that was my take on this Howie, just buy the MFT BMCC to start with — Problem solved.

Comment

I think the op already has an EF mount one, not a debate over which used one to buy. There is a fairly significant installed base of working and still viable EF cameras. If someone made a speedbooster insert like the one being done for ursa mini I think it would breath some life back into these cameras. I have no idea how to make it work as I have noticed that my generic focal reducer has a shorter flange depth than an adapter without optics, this must be true of metabones as well.

Comment

The insert would need to be pretty cheap considering how cheap the viltrox focal reducers are.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
                  Hello Captain Obvious, please read my first post again. I think you've missed the point in the mod!

The project isn't to invent the MFT BMCC (which obviously already exists), it's to modify existing EF mount BMCCs to extend their shelf life and erase the cumbersome crop factor.

I think the op already has an EF mount one, not a debate over which used one to buy. There is a fairly significant installed base of working and still viable EF cameras. If someone made a speedbooster insert like the one being done for ursa mini I think it would breath some life back into these cameras. I have no idea how to make it work as I have noticed that my generic focal reducer has a shorter flange depth than an adapter without optics, this must be true of metabones as well.
                  Yes,I have owned an original BMCC 2.5k EF mount for many years, and hope to extend its shelf life.

I like the idea of putting a Speedbooster inside the gauge, however I want to keep this project to a minimum cost.

The original BMCC isn't worth that much in the scheme of things, so I want to create a modification for it that is worthwhile for existing BMCC users at minimum expense.

Spending just as much on a Speedbooster as the camera body is worth in 2018 really isn't viable spending for existing users. Not in the slow motion, 4k-obsessed world we live in. The modification has to be cost effective for it to be desirable.

Originally posted by Ryanite View Post
                  mmmmm sounds pretty difficult, You'd have to get all the cutting and measurements bang on to not have any focusing issues. Though I'm not sure if the EF mount and flange van be simply unbolted? that'd make it a lot easier.

But ultimately unless you can turn it into an active MFT mount then you're probably better off picking up a cheap MFT BMCC once the pocket 4k comes out and save the hassle.
                  I think what you're saying about the EF mount just unbolting from the body holds merit. If it does, then only connecting a MFT mount to the body accurately is the biggest challenge for the project.

I don't think the team at Blackmagic put in too many hard yards back in 2013 when they started shipping the passive MFT BMCC. With the BMPC heavily underway by then, I don't think they were focusing their energy on the BMCC, which was quickly becoming a legacy product. That the MFT mount is passive suggests minimal engineering - and I hope this is true and works to my advantage! The next hurdle is finding an actual MFT mount to re-purpose for my EF BMCC!

Comment

The advantage tomusing the MFT mount in the BMCC, was to add the Metabones Speed Booster for EF lenses, using a Speed Booster is the only way to reduce the “crop factor”. Wooden Camera did a PL mount mod, and this worked because the PL mount FFD is linger thsn the EF Mount FFD, so a little extra lens mount plate thickness did the trick. However, MFT is a lot shorter FFD than the EF, so yiu need to re-engineer the front lens mount plate, or recess the MFT mount to get the correct FFD. I think any mod trying to do this is going to be more expensive than buying the MFT version, unless yiu are doing a one off, with parts you have on hand.
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X