Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super16 windowed mode for the BMPCC4K

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Super16 windowed mode for the BMPCC4K

    Hello guys,
    I relay a petition to BMD about adding Super16 windowed mode for supporting our old lenses with the BMPCC4K

    "We do love first Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, so we have a lot of Super 16 lenses for it.
    New Pocket 4K camera is called to replace old one, so we wanna use our old lenses with it. But sensor size of new camera is too big or to small (in 1080 windowed mode) for this.
    So, we suggest Blackmagic Design team to add Super 16 windowed mode to new Pocket 4K camera. Let it be 2.7K or 2.8K mode, for example with 1080p downsizing in ProRes, or do it as you think it must be done..."

    I find this idea interesting and I hope it will win the support for those who, like me, find that the super 16 can still live 20 years and more

    Please sign and share if you need it too:

    https://www.change.org/p/blackmagic-...cket-4k-camera

    Thanks!

  • #2
    In the same way, whoever would be interested and would be registered on the BM forum could suggest this idea to the brilliant engineers who design this camera?
    Denny Smith, are you agree?

    Comment


    • #3
      +1.

      Comment


      • #4
        +1

        Comment


        • #5
          Count me in also, +1
          Cheers

          Comment


          • #6
            For the millionth time, before the petition even went live, the product manager said that they are well-aware that people want a Super16 crop. If they're actually adding it, which I'm pretty positive they are, they aren't going to announce it before announcing the first firmware update. That's the earliest it can be added and they certainly aren't going to announce it before the camera has a solid shipping date.

            This whole petition thing is wasted effort.

            Comment


            • #7
              I ask you to sign the petition, there are only 5 people left to get 500 votes and the petition will be sent to BMD.
              Last edited by Snuff; 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I hope they implement this...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                  For the millionth time, before the petition even went live, the product manager said that they are well-aware that people want a Super16 crop. If they're actually adding it, which I'm pretty positive they are, they aren't going to announce it before announcing the first firmware update. That's the earliest it can be added and they certainly aren't going to announce it before the camera has a solid shipping date.

                  This whole petition thing is wasted effort.
                  There's no harm in showing them how much people want this feature.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In addition to the ability to use old c-mount lenses, the "Super 16" 2.8K mode will be good because such a resolution will be much easier for a computer to pull than 4K. And the quality will be noticeably higher than FHD with upload on YouTube because the video will receive more bitrate from YouTube and there will be no need to do upscale to 4K anymore.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a set of PL mount s16 primes sitting on a shelf waiting for this feature.

                      Circa 2.8k RAW in S16 mode would be perfect. Donít need 4K for everything. Most movies are shot at 2.8k with the Alexa anyways. Your aging actors will be greatfull...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So, while I understand the desire for this feature, I don't understand why anyone would be "waiting" to use it. If you really want to shoot 16mm, there is absolutely nothing precluding you from shooting with 16mm glass and cropping in post. Anything else BMD does in camera is just a convenience, not a requirement.
                        Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
                        Pocketluts Store

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by joe12south View Post
                          So, while I understand the desire for this feature, I don't understand why anyone would be "waiting" to use it. If you really want to shoot 16mm, there is absolutely nothing precluding you from shooting with 16mm glass and cropping in post. Anything else BMD does in camera is just a convenience, not a requirement.
                          Have you tried framing a shot that's heavily vignetted? It ain't as easy as it may seem...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Akos View Post
                            There's no harm in showing them how much people want this feature.
                            His only contributions to the Blackmagic Pocket 4K Facebook group has been posting this petition over and over again and, like I said in the previous post, he created the petition after employees from BMD already acknowledged directly to him that they know a bunch of people want the feature. Because of that, he's now so disliked in that group that the general response to the petition has become one where some people are trying to get claim the feature would be useless.

                            That doesn't mean I don't want the feature though. If they implemented it by cropping a 4K readout, then that would make shooting with Super16 lenses so much easier for people who had them, but if they do it at the sensor level then it would be useful for even more people because it could allow frame rates maybe as high as 90 frames per second without having to go to 1080p.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I depends how addressable the sensor is, for me it's about saving data obviously, why have to deal with 4K data if using 2.5k or whatever it turns out to be. I would be happy if they pushed the crop mode to 2k dci which would make the width close to standard 16mm. I'm not blessed with super16 lenses, don't cover current pocket, but should be fine with the crop mode on the new one.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X