No announcement yet.

Super16 windowed mode for the BMPCC4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the general feeling on if this is something that might be addressed in a firmware update? Is it possible or does is there an issue with a non standard resolution recording to prores like 2.5k? If it was possible, do you think that they would have already added an option like that on the ursa's? Finally, has anyone any other info to ad to the thread, info from other forums, anyone spoken to a BM rep etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Amoore View Post
      Have you tried framing a shot that's heavily vignetted? It ain't as easy as it may seem...
      It's extra gear but you should be able to set scaling/guides on most decent external monitors these days. Shouldn't really be an issue at this point...

Comment

Have you tried framing a shot that's heavily vignetted? It ain't as easy as it may seem...
        Use #4,173 for gaffer's tape.
        Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
        Pocketluts Store

Comment

What's the general feeling on if this is something that might be addressed in a firmware update? Is it possible or does is there an issue with a non standard resolution recording to prores like 2.5k? If it was possible, do you think that they would have already added an option like that on the ursa's? Finally, has anyone any other info to ad to the thread, info from other forums, anyone spoken to a BM rep etc.
          It absolutely can be done and can be done in two different ways. I think the reason that the Ursa Mini 4.6K doesn't have a Super16 mode is just because people haven't asked for it. The Pocket 4K is the successor to a camera that had a Super16 sized sensor, so people upgrading form the original are hoping to still be able to use the glass they invested in.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the Ursa Mini Pro's 1080p or 2K 16:9 crops were a little closer to Super16mm than the Pocket 4K's 1080p crop.

Comment

The 2K crop for the UMP and UM4.6K is 11.26x6.33mm, which is coincidentally the same dimensions as the Digital Bolex D16. Smaller than full aperture Super16 or Ultra16, but bigger than Regular16.

Comment

Any news about this Super16 windowed mode for the BMPCC4K? I refrain from buying the camera just for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bmpcc_bel View Post
                Any news about this Super16 windowed mode for the BMPCC4K? I refrain from buying the camera just for that reason.

For the moment I set the safe area to 70% in 4k DCI and center crop in post. This matches the image circle of my 9.5mm (Zeiss Super Speed mkIII), which just barely covers s16. The 12/16 and 25 have a lot more coverage.

The worst part is trying to nail focus on that small marked off area, but you can punch in for critical focus.

It's not an ideal solution, but one advantage is having plenty of extra pixels to stabilize and reframe. So, it's a lot like working with Fincher's 6k for 4k workflow.

Being able to see what's just outside of frame is also nice (mic on a boom, lights etc.)
                Last edited by Harry Lime; 02-10-2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X