Cameras in the mirror are larger than they appear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras in the mirror are larger than they appear

That ain't no Pocket in our pocket, big boy.

It's huge.

So, I looked at the demo video with Grant Petty over on Cinema 5D and I'm watching them handle the 4K Pocket camera, and then I looked at the same type of videos from when the original BMCC was released, and as far as I can make out the new 4k Pocket is about the same size IN VOLUME as the BMCC. It's just a little shorter and looks a little wider.
    Still looks really great though. Can't wait to get one. Or three.

Two points -
    First, it's really not a "Pocket V2" at all. It's really more like a BMPC4k V2". This is in line with what most folks who are good with tech were saying about a "4k Pocket" camera not really being possible... yet.
    And second, although we don't have a weight spec yet, it's not going to be light like the BMPCC either, and it probably won't fly on a single-handle gimbal unless it has a high maximum payload like the Crane 2 at 7lbs. max or the new IKAN angled-arm gimbal at 8lbs max.
    So unfortunately this may not be able to replace our Pocket cameras in their work environment the way we've been using them. Some new support gear will be in order.

These are NOT complaints in any way.
    This new camera is in many ways EXACTLY what many of us have been hoping for. Myself included.

Man.... waiting for these to ship is really going to bend my buttons.

~Cheers!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
    It's huge.
    I'm going to disagree on that point. I think some of the images are misleading, being that they're so close up and at weird angles. All images where something is in frame for reference makes it look a lot smaller. I saw on one website showing it's tech writer holding it between his thumb and index finger.
    wedding-xl@2x.jpg

I think Grant has really small hands :P
    Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Also, the new camera is going to be very light, given its new case design and materials. One BM tech said 750 grams in one interview.
      Cheers

Comment

Clearly BMD should have named it the Backpack Cinema Camera 4K to satisfy people.
        What a dumb thread.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

7 x 3.8 x 3.4” versus 6.5 x 4.5 x 5”. From the side where the connectors are looked very similar to the BMCC to me. Slightly smaller with a DSLR form factor. The body is 1.6LBs which is almost a LB heavier than the original pocket. I have no worries about getting it on the Crane 2.
          Darren Hartman
          Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

Comment

I wouldn't call it the BMPC4K v 2.0 since doesn't have SDI out or a global shutter. The sensor is also smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
              I wouldn't call it the BMPC4K v 2.0 since doesn't have SDI out or a global shutter. The sensor is also smaller.
              Good points. I forgot about that AWESOME BMPC global shutter!
              Boink! I wonder why they didn't stick an SDI output on this new one? Looks like they had the space.
              Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Comment

Originally posted by Asyndeton View Post
                7 x 3.8 x 3.4” versus 6.5 x 4.5 x 5”. From the side where the connectors are looked very similar to the BMCC to me. Slightly smaller with a DSLR form factor. The body is 1.6LBs which is almost a LB heavier than the original pocket. I have no worries about getting it on the Crane 2.
                Yup. Closer in volume to the BMCC than any other offering.

That Crane 2 is a monster little gimbal. Best one I've seen yet of the single-handles.

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                  Yup. Closer in volume to the BMCC than any other offering.

That Crane 2 is a monster little gimbal. Best one I've seen yet of the single-handles.
                  Just grabbed the handles for the Crane 1 and it's a killer two handed gimbal now.

Comment

Working...
                  X