Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

    Now that we have the camera confirmed as existing, I figured it’d be better to start a new thread on it versus it crammed in the NAB predictions thread.

    Can’t discern much from the banner image but it seems like they’re keeping with a similar style body. I’m hoping/expecting things like 60FPS and better battery life among other common wants, but do you think it’ll support ProRes RAW right away or stick with cDNG? Will it have global shutter? Dynamic range?

    I’m like 95% sure I want to sell the UM4K for it once the specs are released.
    Darren Hartman
    Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

  • #2
    Blackmagic is unbelievable.

    P.S. Going back to the "vintage" banner announcements and not via a press conference a month or two before the event is so much better, haha.

    Comment


    • #3
      My guess it will use same sensor as their new Broadcast Camera. Probably will be first BM camera with ProRes RAW option. So usable 4k but less dynamic range than BMCC, BMPCC, BMMCC and 4.6K cameras.
      All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

      Comment


      • #4
        My guess is that it is the same sensor as the PC, URSA, and URSA Mini 4k, 12stops DR, same frame rate options as PC, but in a smaller form factor.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
          My guess is that it is the same sensor as the PC, URSA, and URSA Mini 4k, 12stops DR, same frame rate options as PC, but in a smaller form factor.
          Sounds likely! I don't see BMD killing their Ursa 4.6 product line.

          Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

          Comment


          • #6
            Stepping back to "only 12 stops DR" makes no sense. Sure. They may be killing the Ursa 4.6 line. But maybe they just don´t care about politics like Canon and other and just release whatever is possible and pushing the limits. maybe the new pocket will cost 3000 Bucks and is "only 4k, 13 stops" and not 4.6K, 15 Stops. We will see.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tolin View Post
              Sounds likely! I don't see BMD killing their Ursa 4.6 product line.
              Lets hope!

              Comment


              • #8
                So, we got 2 1/2 days to kill... Let's start picking apart the photo!

                Assuming that's the top, it's pretty unusual, almost looks like a pop up flash on a DSLR! What do you think that is?

                Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 1.47.54 PM.jpg

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tolin View Post
                  Sounds likely! I don't see BMD killing their Ursa 4.6 product line.
                  As long as it's not a S35 sensor the 4.6K has nothing to worry about. It could have the exact same specs of the 4.6k at s16 or mft and the S35 people are going to continue to shoot that format regardless of the specs of the pocket 2. The current trend is actually going for bigger sensors rather than smaller.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Flabasha View Post
                    So, we got 2 1/2 days to kill... Let's start picking apart the photo!

                    Assuming that's the top, it's pretty unusual, almost looks like a pop up flash on a DSLR! What do you think that is?

                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]25916[/ATTACH]
                    It looks like a thread to mount something there as opposed to a hotshoe but I’m not sure, maybe for a top handle? Was also just thinking I hope they found a way to include an SDI versus the mini-HDMI.
                    Darren Hartman
                    Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Asyndeton View Post
                      It looks like a thread to mount something there as opposed to a hotshoe but I’m not sure, maybe for a top handle? Was also just thinking I hope they found a way to include an SDI versus the mini-HDMI.
                      Maybe the lens mount and sensor block are detachable from the main body? That center portion looks articulated but the 1/4-20 thread is confusing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There has always been a 1/4-20 thread on the top of the pocket camera, why change now. If you need a shoe bolt it on, attachment point for the cage it will need.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by shijan View Post
                          My guess it will use same sensor as their new Broadcast Camera. Probably will be first BM camera with ProRes RAW option. So usable 4k but less dynamic range than BMCC, BMPCC, BMMCC and 4.6K cameras.
                          They say last year they bring a new pocket camera when there is a new sensor who can get the same cinematic feature as the first pocket but then in 4K
                          So it will definitily not the the one from broadcast camera because that is not a cinema camera
                          All the cinema camera's of BMD are 13 stops or above so broadcast and studio camera are less dynamic range that is not an option

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's clearly the Espresso port everyone has been crying out for. The "black magic" in Black Magic Design ... is coffee.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Correct Cengiz, I agree, this is Pro a new sensor, and not the Micro 4K/Broadcast camera sensor.
                              Cheers

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X