Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is going to be such a huge year for new cameras.

P4K , Nikon fullframe Mirrorless, A7siii, Canon fullframe Mirrorless (or ya know just a T10i).

I don't care about any of the so called deal breakers I hear about this camera. $1300 and I get Resolve 15 just take my money already. I am keeping my pre-order for sure. The first pocket cam changed my life. It was Magic. Even with all the little things about it that I had to work around it was a dream. The colors, the dynamic range, the size and price of such a powerhouse.

Grant Petty is a legend in my book. All late shipments and global shutter promises aside, BMD is the coolest camera company ever. There will always be a special place in my nerdy little heart for Black Magic Design and the dream of bringing a cinematic image to my gigantic cargo sized pocket.

Heres to a SQUIJILLION sales P4K! Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
      This is going to be such a huge year for new cameras.

P4K , Nikon fullframe Mirrorless, A7siii, Canon full frame Mirrorless (or ya know just a T10i)
      I think the c100 mkiii is also slated for this year but as always is an absurd price for it's features.

Comment

• Sure, it seems there are lots of cameras coming to market in the next few months, but I think none will beat the p4k (at least for my very particular needs and tastes).

This is what I need if any other camera is going to make me not buy a p4k in September/October: 4k 60fps (reasonably sharp and without artifacts), DR in video mode as good as the a7III (or better), RAW video or nice 10-bit codec (always internal), big sensor (FF, but it could also be APS-C or m43 if every other box is checked), unbelievably good AF in video mode (at least as good as the current Canons, and with the eye-detect thing that Sony does only in stills mode). That is: it has to at least match the p4k in terms of resolution, sensor size, dynamic range and codec, plus, it has to either provide clearly higher dynamic range, or have killer autofocus. And it has to be affordable. Oh, well, it seems it's going to be a p4k...

(I think it's pretty clear nobody's going to give me that in 2018, so... I just bought some Resolve tutorials over at rippletraining.com. Learning how to work with a top notch free/cheap editor and color-correction suite is actually a plus for the p4k.)
        My YouTube channel

Comment

• Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
          Sure, it seems there are lots of cameras coming to market in the next few months, but I think none will beat the p4k (at least for my very particular needs and tastes).

This is what I need if any other camera is going to make me not buy a p4k in September/October: 4k 60fps (reasonably sharp and without artifacts), DR in video mode as good as the a7III (or better), RAW video or nice 10-bit codec (always internal), big sensor (FF, but it could also be APS-C or m43 if every other box is checked), unbelievably good AF in video mode (at least as good as the current Canons, and with the eye-detect thing that Sony does only in stills mode). That is: it has to at least match the p4k in terms of resolution, sensor size, dynamic range and codec, plus, it has to either provide clearly higher dynamic range, or have killer autofocus. And it has to be affordable. Oh, well, it seems it's going to be a p4k...

(I think it's pretty clear nobody's going to give me that in 2018, so... I just bought some Resolve tutorials over at rippletraining.com. Learning how to work with a top notch free/cheap editor and color-correction suite is actually a plus for the p4k.)
          You are about to be seriously disappointed, then, as the P4K apparently doesn't even have the most basic level of continuous AF, much less 'unbelievably good AF'. Sorry.
          Last edited by tyger11; 07-25-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• I think he meant if he was to buy a more costly camera it'd need to have those features. Otherwise he's getting the pocket for it's current features and price.

Comment

• Exactly. I'm getting the p4k and using manual lenses (mainly a Samyang 12mm f/2.0 and a vintage Leica-R 50mm f/1.4). If Sony, Canon or Nikon want me to go their way, they have to match the p4k PLUS either give me better DR, or AF that is unbelievably good. If they don't give me that, I'll be a happy p4k user, I'll focus manually, shoot RAW and learn to use Resolve and improve my color grading skills.
              My YouTube channel

Comment

• As much as I would like a full super16 crop, at whatever that resolution might be, the 1080 crop might be adequate for my needs with my good old 12-120 angenieux. If the effective window is roughly 9mm wide, that is only slightly smaller than standard 16mm, and comparable to safe areas we had to protect for in the days of projector gates and rounded tv tubes. I believe the ikonoscope camera only had a 2/3" sensor even though it was marketed as digital super16. There is still a lot of useful life left in HD, I'm not fully upgrading to 4K until demand is met with appropriate budgets. This is why 4/3" is such a useful sensor size. A standard speedbooster creates effectively super35, the crop mode is roughly 16mm and native is a happy medium the allows for shallow close ups with manageable depth in wide shots.

Comment

• Something that impressed me that I don't think has been spoken about is that the Pocket 4k will do 120p HD at 10bit prores no less. Which I don't think I've seen ever in a DSLR form. The GH5s can do 120 no crop but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think only in Long-GoP 8bit files. Which is really a big deal if you want grade-able slow motion. The key here is going to be how well the artifacts are handled at 120. I really hope black magic double down on ensuring a clear image both in moire and aliasing in all resolutions/ FPS.

Downside is that it has to crop down to HD, I really hope they expand on the dual native sensor. Maybe they could put out a body that could push it a little harder.

Comment

• How about a very wide super16 lens? There are very cheap 5mm or 6mm C-mount lenses, not sure if they can be mounted on the p4k or if they will cover the HD crop
                    My YouTube channel

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
                      How does one become a BM Ambassador?
                      There's no such thing really.

Not like traditional brand ambassadors anyway.

Many brand ambassadors are literally "paid for comment". You pay them a fee, sign a contract, they use your gear and they're obligated to write a certain amount or post a certain amount of content.

Think about some well known bloggers who have advertisements on their sites, links on their videos and some reviews that seem inexplicably positive.

I am an Olympus visionary. Normally this is exactly the contract you make, however, I altered my arrangement so that I don't get paid for content or review but I do loaner equipment and I also do visits to consult with their R&D teams. I also made it very clear that I will always speak my own mind about my opinions when it comes to their equipment. Olympus wanted a cinematographer that uses Olympus gear, and I was already a long time Olympus user (from stills and MFT use) so this arrangement makes sense to me.

I have declined other brand ambassador relationships because they required me to not use any other competing brands. That doesn't work for me.

I enjoy being part of the R&D process and this is also part of what I'm lucky enough to do in an ad hoc basis with my friends at Blackmagic. The reward for me is to be a part of that process, not to be paid. I usually get to keep the pre-production cameras they send me, but they're technically on permanent loan.

They don't have any paid ambassadors. It goes against their practice generally where the gear and the users choosing the gear tend to be the best ambassadors. Look at how they market Resolve.

If you want this role, the best they will do is to offer early access to pre-release equipment.

I believe to qualify for this you have to have already shot some nice pictures using BMD's cameras. Think about what you're trying to propose when you approach them and remember they get hit up many times a day by people just like you.

I know of some that have approached them successfully, but it's usually not as rewarding as many think. It's a lot of thankless work, a massive amount of time that you usually can't talk about because you're under NDA and you get piled on publicly :-)

And the time. Man, it's like a full time job to test things. It's not like you just "play" with it like you would at a trade show. It's dreary time consuming and needs to be verifiable. I don't do much of that kind of beta testing because I just don't have the time to do it properly.

Kristian Lam is the product manager for the 4K and Tim Schuman looks after the Ursa Cameras. PM them on their forums.

JB

Comment

• JB, are you able to comment if we're still on track for September?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                          JB, are you able to comment if we're still on track for September?
                          JB says it's all good.

So Get on the Good Foot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtO2UYPX7NQ
                          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

• Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                            There's no such thing really.

Not like traditional brand ambassadors anyway.

Many brand ambassadors are literally "paid for comment". You pay them a fee, sign a contract, they use your gear and they're obligated to write a certain amount or post a certain amount of content.

Think about some well known bloggers who have advertisements on their sites, links on their videos and some reviews that seem inexplicably positive.

I am an Olympus visionary. Normally this is exactly the contract you make, however, I altered my arrangement so that I don't get paid for content or review but I do loaner equipment and I also do visits to consult with their R&D teams. I also made it very clear that I will always speak my own mind about my opinions when it comes to their equipment. Olympus wanted a cinematographer that uses Olympus gear, and I was already a long time Olympus user (from stills and MFT use) so this arrangement makes sense to me.

I have declined other brand ambassador relationships because they required me to not use any other competing brands. That doesn't work for me.

I enjoy being part of the R&D process and this is also part of what I'm lucky enough to do in an ad hoc basis with my friends at Blackmagic. The reward for me is to be a part of that process, not to be paid. I usually get to keep the pre-production cameras they send me, but they're technically on permanent loan.

They don't have any paid ambassadors. It goes against their practice generally where the gear and the users choosing the gear tend to be the best ambassadors. Look at how they market Resolve.

If you want this role, the best they will do is to offer early access to pre-release equipment.

I believe to qualify for this you have to have already shot some nice pictures using BMD's cameras. Think about what you're trying to propose when you approach them and remember they get hit up many times a day by people just like you.

I know of some that have approached them successfully, but it's usually not as rewarding as many think. It's a lot of thankless work, a massive amount of time that you usually can't talk about because you're under NDA and you get piled on publicly :-)

And the time. Man, it's like a full time job to test things. It's not like you just "play" with it like you would at a trade show. It's dreary time consuming and needs to be verifiable. I don't do much of that kind of beta testing because I just don't have the time to do it properly.

Kristian Lam is the product manager for the 4K and Tim Schuman looks after the Ursa Cameras. PM them on their forums.

JB
                            Cheers bud, I opened a thread on it. as I was more just curious if they existed and if so how. There's loadsa bods better than me for it. Hell I even work regularly with some. I knew you were involved with them in your way, just didn't think there was any official ambassadors out there I've seen or was aware of. I know a few bods involved on the Davinci side just never known any on the camera gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
                              How about a very wide super16 lens? There are very cheap 5mm or 6mm C-mount lenses, not sure if they can be mounted on the p4k or if they will cover the HD crop
                              They (UWA S16 lenses) might cover the HD crop, but will not work with the full gate sensor, a 25mm or 50mm S16 lens might work...
                              Cheers
                              Last edited by Denny Smith; 07-28-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• ^ Thanks.
                                I already have a 12mm and a 50mm for shooting 4k with the whole sensor. What I'm thinking about is getting something like a 6mm just for 120fps wide-angle shots, and well, those s16 lenses are way cheaper than a m43 6mm would be.
                                My YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                                X