Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Without listing wishlists for features or form factors - is there generally a probability for a new camera in 2018 from BMD?

Is it realistically?
    For example, last year they stated a Pocket v2 would have to be 4K, which at that point wasn't possible due to heat management.
    Is a Pocket v2 realistically this year?

Is any other new camera possible or what might be their plan going forward concerning their camera department?

Seeing how relatively new the UMP is, I'd say a new 4k pocket would be the safest bet. Plenty of folks have done a 4k camera in that form factor, but a RAW shooting 4k camera that small would be something we haven't seen before.

Not gonna lie, I have such nostalgia and appreciation for the original 2.5k BMCC that I'd really be into a new version of that. It'd pretty much be a sensor-in-a-box version of the UMP for $3k I'd bet.
    Last edited by fahnon; 01-09-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Perhaps they'll continue to leverage their 4.6K sensor tech. I wouldn't be surprised to see a stripped down 4.6k in a box for aerial/gimbal/jib/PTZ use. Now that they have external raw recorders the heads could be quite compact. Somewhere between Micro 4k and the BMPC. Essentially the URSA version of the Micro Studio. Maybe even modular, ooooh, modular.

Comment

DJI has a small 4K RAW shooting camera...don't have any experience with it though:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...amera_and.html

Comment

Just got off the phone with Grant Petty you guys. He told me there'll be a $500 medium-format 8K pocket any day now. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
            Just got off the phone with Grant Petty you guys. He told me there'll be a $500 medium-format 8K pocket any day now. ;p
            That’s great news. My clients keep telling me that 4K looks miserable on their phones. Now I have a reason to purchase that $20,000 workstation I’ve had my eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              DJI has a small 4K RAW shooting camera...don't have any experience with it though:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...amera_and.html
              The little lens element on the front is not "all" of the camera. Much of the processing is housed on the separate larger body section.
              Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
              Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
              Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

That's true but it's designed that way because of the gimbal...but I guess it could make a difference. Still pretty small though.

Cameras.jpg

(Cinema5D)

Comment

They’ll come out with something small. Building off the micro maybe. Build a box and then sell attachments. Handle, monitor/recorder, the only question is what sensor? Do they stick with the Super 16 format and the mft mount, or Suoer 35 and an Ef mount?
                  Carlos Israel
                  http://www.producegoods.com
                  http://www.producecreative.agency

Comment

I think they’ve got a winner with the 4.6k sensor. Arri milked the Aleev sensor for the better part of a decade with little to no complaints. The pipeline is only going to get better, the color science more refined, the package smaller. It’s BM though, you never can tell.

Comment

Blackmagic needs to take back the sub-$3k market, so I'd bet on a new 4K camera this year. Maybe a 4k pocket is asking too much due to the heat in such a thin body, but a new micro or cinema camera is certainly plausible. Whatever it is it'll need more than 12 stops of dynamic range just to have a leg up on the competition.

Comment

Best thing they can do now is BMMCC Pro. Just put current s16 1080p sensor http://www.fairchildimaging.com/cata...scmos/cis1910a into small ergonomically designed modular body with better cooling system and better FPN reduction. All this probably allow 15-16 f-stops of dynamic range and up to 100fps (the maximum that the sensor can produce). Higher data transfer rate circuit will allow less rolling shutter. Put on sale in range $1- $2.5k depending of included accessories.
                        M4/3 S16 eco system grows pretty fast over last years. OLPF filters, focal boosters, new native wide angle lenses... So why drop this market?

Bus who knows, maybe we'll see sCMOS v3.0 sensors soon...
                        All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

Originally posted by shijan View Post
                          Best thing they can do now is BMMCC Pro. Just put current s16 1080p sensor http://www.fairchildimaging.com/cata...scmos/cis1910a into small ergonomically designed modular body with better cooling system and better FPN reduction. All this probably allow 15-16 f-stops of dynamic range and up to 100fps (the maximum that the sensor can produce). Higher data transfer rate circuit will allow less rolling shutter. Put on sale in range $1- $2.5k depending of included accessories.
                          M4/3 S16 eco system grows pretty fast over last years. OLPF filters, focal boosters, new native wide angle lenses... So why drop this market?

Bus who knows, maybe we'll see sCMOS v3.0 sensors soon...
                          I remember them saying that they would no longer be making a sub 4k product in the future, that the next camera would be at least 4k and they hope for a pocket like size but current tech isn't up to it apparently. Maybe that's a rouse to not get anyones hopes up though, they did say they would no longer preannounce a camera unless they can sell it that same day.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                            That's true but it's designed that way because of the gimbal...but I guess it could make a difference. Still pretty small though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25575[/ATTACH]

(Cinema5D)
                            The X5R wasn't a good camera. The sensor, or the way DJI set it up wasn't that great for drama. I really struggled to get it to match the Ursa at all, and it's DR was limited.

The thing you can't hear in that image is that those little slots on top of the SSD RAW recorder at the bottom of the gimbal are noisy fans. Very noisy. It wasn't useable to shoot a dialogue scene in a car for example.

Now the X7R might be different....maybe....But I was bitterly disappointed after the promise of the X5R fell very short of the mark in both image and utility.

JB

Comment

I would like to see a URSA 4.6K micro with EF mount that has the same form factor as the Canon XC15 4K Professional Camcorder and at about the same price point (less than $2500), supports RAW, Avid DnX.., and ProRes codec.

Comment

Working...
                              X