Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rig (Baseplate) for UMP and beyond?

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading through different threads on BMCUser and other sites to see if I can find a rig that will grow with me as I upgrade and use other cameras. I'm currently shooting on a UMP and love it. I need to rig it out, but it doesn't seem like there's one solution that works for me. I figured I'd have to piece something together myself. I initially got the official BM shoulder kit, but due to my ignorance realized I didn't want it because it requires the use of the EVF. While I'm receptive to getting the BM EVF, I'd still like to use the built-in monitor (even though I don't like it) for the meantime. This means the shoulder pad would need to sit farther back behind the camera on rails or something. So, after a bit of rambling, I guess I'm looking for a baseplate to support my UMP and rentals of Arri Alexa Mini/RED Scarlet-W.

Does anyone have a rig they use between multiple cameras (and the UMP/46K) that works well for them? I've considered smallrig, wooden camera, lanparte, etc. Obviously no one solution will work for everything, but I'd like to at least start with a baseplate that can support the UMP, Alexa Mini, and RED Scarlet-W. I appreciate any help. I'm trying to learn this as I go since I've never really rigged my cameras in the past. I'm trying to move away from the mirrorless world.

Thanks!
    RED Monstro 8K VV "Baymax+"
    BMPCC4K
    Tokina Cinema Vista Primes
    Leica R

Well, if you plan on shooting hand held, you really want to put the camera in a position so that the entire rig (Whatever that includes) is nearly or perfectly balanced on your shoulder. Your hands should not need to touch the camera for it to sit there stationary. If you put the camera out in front of you, then your hands start to bear the weight and you will tire much faster than if they were merely pointing the camera.

I don't know if there is any universal baseplate that works for all cameras. The URSA uses a Sony VCT-14 style plate typically used in the ENG world, if I'm not mistaken. Best case scenario you find a solution that lets you put rods through the entire rig and you mount everything to those and the top of the camera. However, the rod to sensor height will be different unless you get a baseplate specifically designed for each camera, such as those offerings from Wooden Camera (Sorry, I'm a recent convert to their gear).

Worst case scenario is you get a baseplate, cage, and/or a top plate for each camera. Everything else accessory wise is universal in the sense that they mount via 1/4"-20 screw, 3/8"-16 screw, or Arri rosette.

And while I've never used the Ursa, I do have and use the BMD EVF with the Wooden Camera mod (Makes it universal to any camera). Might be a consideration if you didn't know about it.

Comment

You want the Zacuto VCT Pro baseplate

Comment

Is anyone using the Zacuto VCT Pro? It looks pretty sweet. How does it compare to the Black Magic shoulder kit for the UMP? the easy sliding on and off looks very handy

Comment

Does the Zacuto VCT Pro work well with the blackmagic evf? Seems like shifting the camera forward and backward on your shoulder isn't really possible since the EVF is stuck in one position relative to the camera, right?

Comment

Looks to me like you have to use the Zacuto EVF, but then you can balance the camera better on your shoulder seems to be the benefit

Comment

Most baseplates you'll find are designed for lighter weight cameras, where it's realistic to have the camera sitting off your shoulder. You can balance with a counterweight and the overall rig balance and weight is fine.

I recently shot with two different shoulder rigs on the same shoot, because my EVF hadn't arrived in time. First rig, my Ursa Mini Pro sat in front of my shoulder. Plus a ~4.5lb lens on the front. V mount battery on the back. It was a pain, even when I was able to extend out the rear rods and add a 10 lb weight for leverage.

Once my EVF arrived, I could use my BMD shoulder rig. What a huge difference, even without being able to use rods to the rear of the shoulder pad. I was really worried about that, but having the camera sit on the shoulder allows the V mount to provide a little counterweight, plus you an adjust the camera position to be more forward or backward.

That Zacuto base plate looked real nice to me, but was very expensive. Definitely seems like a solid long term investment, though.

Comment

Check out my dirty solution:

2017-07-09_15-26-28_20170709_150639.jpg2017-07-09_15-26-31_20170709_150640.jpg2017-07-09_15-26-33_20170709_152416.jpg

It's cheap, modular, and you can use the parts for other needs if needed.

quick release adapter + plate http://www.ebay.com/itm/172591589560
                2x 15mm Rod Clamp (942) http://www.smallrig.com/super-lightw...ck-v3-942.html
                2x 15mm Rod Clamp (1266) http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-15m...lamp-1266.html
                -------
                >$90

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys! You rule. That Zacuto baseplate looks like it'll fit my needs exactly for monitor or EVF use. Looks friendly to the other camera bodies as well. A bit more expensive than I was planning, but I'd rather do it right.

On a side note: core_50, that looks really good for the price. I may actually build that out as a secondary rig for B-cams like a BMMCC or mirrorless.
                  RED Monstro 8K VV "Baymax+"
                  BMPCC4K
                  Tokina Cinema Vista Primes
                  Leica R

Comment

If you want to save a few bucks, pick up a used Zacuto Baseplate (old version). It doesn't have the sliding plate, but it has worked like a dream with my UMP. Nice mounting points on the sled for attaching a teradek or another accessory.

Comment

Working...
                    X