Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrast problem with Genustech Vari-ND

Hi guys,

I picked my genustech vari-nd that I borrowed a friend of mine for some time and now it behaves strangely.
    I don't know if I just never noticed it but contrast seems to be effected greatly by this vari-nd. I remembered that it was quite good and sharp but I did some testing now with and without ND filter and the results are horrendous.
    Very obvious in the scopes and also in the picture itselfs. As if it has a huge "haze" or something:

Is this a defect or what could it be?

2017-05-23_17h26_05.jpg2017-05-23_17h27_09.jpg
    EF-BMCC 1300x00 - the lucky one

I have the eclipse. It developed some sort of haze inside. I couldnt clean it. No idea how to fix this.
    Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Comment

I just disassembled it with brute force
      Just have to get a screwdriver in and push it hard so it pops open. Then I cleaned it and clipped it back together. It still has the problem that the front element is moveable freely (without the ring) but the haze is much better!
      EF-BMCC 1300x00 - the lucky one

Comment

Can u elaborate on ur method? I havent used this fikter for a long time because of this
        Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Comment

It may be internal dirt, but it may also have to do with the fact that a Vari ND is made with two polarizers, and depending on the lighting situation, the polarizers can make things look really weird, killing contrast and flattening skin.

Comment

Working...
          X