Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMMCC Image Quality a bit better than the BMPCC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMMCC Image Quality a bit better than the BMPCC ?

Hi guys,

For people who have/had the BMPCC, don't you feel that the BMMCC quality is something better, different than the Pocket?
    I know that they "tweaked" the sensor a bit (but how, colors, light response,..?) but i think that overall the image is a little more "modern" although it's the same sensor ! I find that in general the picture have less "character" in a good way than the Pocket.

I don't know if they took some elements from the color science of the 4.6k but i really feel a subtle difference in term of IQ and it's great.

What are your toughts? Am i just mad?

I never had the two of them side by side, but I've owned the Pocket and have rented the Micro a few times and I have a much more favorable view of the Micro's image than the Pocket's. But that's just my subjective gut feelings- not hard analysis. I admit that I may be attributing better quality to the Micro completely due to its superior HDMI and battery solutions when compared to the Pocket's dumpster fire-esque HDMI and battery solutions.

Comment

From what I've seen online the micro is cleaner and richer somehow. I've been consistently impressed with what I've seen. Now that I have an ikan monitor I will pick up a micro if no bmpcc 2 is announced at nab this year

Comment

The idea of overall 'image quality' is a bit vague, particularly if you are shooting raw when so much of what you we see depends on how the footage is processed. There are more specific things about the image - like moire - that you might be able to get a better handle on.

Comment

I own both and shoot only ProRes and I agree that the BMMCC has a "nicer"/"creamier"/"better looking" image as compared to my Pocket.

Comment

Yes, yes it does. Part of the reason is the new improved video,processor, and increased sensor readout times, giving a cleaner image.
            Compsired them both sid-by-side, kept the Micro and sold the Pocket camera.
            Cheers

Comment

Great and thank's for all info and feedback, i see that i'm not mad finally ! Haha

I'm in love with that cam, it's crazy what you got for that price range !!!

I shot this video with my BMMCC and i really like the look, colors are natural i find.

I've already worked in that same room with the Pocket i had and to me yes the Micro has a nicer/more natural look.

Tell me what you think ! (sorry for the ugly 720p Facebook compression original is way sharper.

https://www.facebook.com/NewDanceGen...2861795945499/

Comment

I also agree - I bought a Micro as a glove compartment camera, but after shooting an entire doc with it I've relegated my two Pockets to the B and C category. The Micro image just looks better - I don't think or theorize about it, I just see it...

Comment

I should add that with the Pocket I've had moire surprises numerous times... I have the Mosaic, but I'm not going to use it again till the new shim is released...

Surprisingly, on the Micro, I've shot many hours of footage, much of it in similar situations as with my Pockets, and haven't had a moire problem, not once.. That's worth the price of admission in itself...

Comment

If they put the Micro's guts and 60p into a Pocket's form factor, I'd buy it instantly.

Comment

Well I'm old school, and I prefer the Micro's shape - If it was a little larger (a Micro Ursa), had two card slots, an improved pre-amp and a headphone jack I'd never use anything else/

Comment

I feel it in my gut that there has to be a micro ursa coming, old school palm camcorder form, 4" pivoting screen. A full size MFT sensor, slice of the 4.6 for $2000 with resolve would be sweet. Even if it was the same old super16, but with a proper form factor and xlr audio I'd be in .

Comment

I should have trademarked the name URSA Micro! I would have sold it to BMD for a camera!

Comment

Originally posted by Flabasha View Post
                            If they put the Micro's guts and 60p into a Pocket's form factor, I'd buy it instantly.
                            Pocket form factor sucks, end of story. If they shoved Micro into Canon XC10 body, I would buy it in a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                              Well I'm old school, and I prefer the Micro's shape - If it was a little larger (a Micro Ursa), had two card slots, an improved pre-amp and a headphone jack I'd never use anything else/
                              Preach on Brother! Preach!

Comment

Working...
                              X