Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursa mini pro speedbooster

Hello,

The ursa mini pro has exchangeble lens mounts, which also might be interesting for a speedbooster. If they would release a Sony mount, we could use the metabones speedbooster on it. Maybe metabones can even make a lens mount with a speedbooster built in. That would be also very appealing to me.

Cheers

URSA Mini Pro 65mm !!!!!

Comment

Honestly, considering how recessed the sensor is in the body there's pretty much a 0% chance of this happening. Interchangeable mount cameras can have a flange depth as short as E/FZ/MFT, but most don't. Seriously though, why is everyone obsessed with speedboosters?
      Last edited by Alex.Mitchell; 03-21-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Ya, an E mount doesn't have any chance. I think most are hoping for a EF mount with a built in booster, and even that might not be possible

As far as speedbooster obsession? I think most people think it's nice to have options, that is all. And I think that people who don't care about speedboosters underestimate the appeal and demand there would be from people who do care.
        Last edited by mstrouty; 03-21-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Speed Boosters are very popular on BMD cameras especially before BMD began to offer a true Super 35 sonsor, the 4.6K. It would be very interesting even on that sensor for those who want to use 'full frame' 135 film lenses. It may not have as large a market as the MFT world, but could be interesting if there's a combination that could work with the PL glass given its 52mm FFD. Not all vintage and many modern PL primes will work, it I think the SLR Magic APO may work and change my T2.1 lens to T1.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
            Honestly, considering how recessed the sensor is in the body there's pretty much a 0% chance of this happening. Interchangeable mount cameras can have a flange depth as short as E/FZ/MFT, but most don't. Seriously though, why is everyone obsessed with speedboosters?

Because the look is unique, and the speed has more advantages. The only way in the past cinema has been able to isolate a subject is with long lens length, but having effectively a larger sensor look they can do the same thing with wider. It is a really big deal for me as I shoot a certain look with my stills (where I have made my career on) and I am shooting motion as an add on. I just can't get anywhere the same look, and I think the look is very special. (to see my stills - www.paulrossjones.com).
            Not only do you get the option to isolate subjects as well as a nice optical look (better foreground blur) as you are using the whole lens's area- what it was designed for, you have more light (over a stop) so you can shoot darker.
            I have chatted to many very good DP's (as I shoot along side many large TVC's) about the advantages of a full frame capture, and they almost all would like it. Its all about options, and now everything is looking so similar, everyone is wanting new ways of shooting. This is why so many TVC's are using cooke anamorphics- they just new looks.

If you don't want the small DOF look, you simply stop down - using the extra stop of light on your side.

As for metabones making an adaptor- I have emailed metabones and they are looking into it. There is a lot more space there than there use to be now the whole mount can come out.

Hopefully it can be done and they will get one out in a timely manner. I am not buying a pro until this is available. The full frame "look" is a big deal to me, and I cannot get the look as I get with my still with my ursa mini, and I am finding I have to shoot with my a7rII and my canon at 1080p and have to live with the compression etc, but the look is worth it. There is a reason so many advertisements used canon 5d's when they had at the budget for arri's, for the overall look.
            Speed boosters are very popular with sonys (a small poll I did on and 50% had the expensive adaptor) and I am sure many BM users will buy one.

paul
            Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
            www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

www.paulrossjones.com

Comment

Working...
            X