Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big URSA is dead.....has to be when they are giving them away free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No longer free. The ursa part of the deal is back up to $3k, which has been its discounted price for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenplusplus View Post
      I had the bundle on pre-order from B&H, and was also hoping for shipment today. I canceled after I contacted and ultimately ordered from G&G Technologies (www.ggvideo.com). I believe they said it was their last in stock, but wouldn't hurt to confirm with them and to always check with the various **authorized** retailers that BM lists. (I learned this from watching people blow by the RED waiting list and ordering through dealers)
      This is a side question, but how come you ended up selling your Scarlet-W?

Comment

Well, I ended up selling because I realized the a7S II is the perfect middle ground for what I was looking for. The S-W was great, and I left my 4.6k behind for it because of my troubled relationship with BMD and the vertical FPN in more situations than I thought was appropriate. Dealing with RED was much better, and with the S-W (+ Low Light OLPF), I was up to ISO 3200 without any distracting noise-- and never such an obvious pattern, just the usual scattered noise. I had to pay a premium for that (I had the price of a 4.6k in RED Mini-Mags media alone), so I figured, just get the a7S II and be happy.

When I switched to the RED, I also wanted a smaller set-up. The S-W body is tiny, and I bought the smallest batteries I could find, and it really was small and light. In January, I snowshoe'd in the mountains in Colorado with it hanging by a BlackRapid camera strap. Totally secure and comfortable. But, the start-up time was a bit slow, and I didn't find the 4.7" Touch screen big enough. I missed the bigger URSA Mini screen (I'm a bit scared now with the UMPro screen being shrunk).

So, I sold and got the Sony, but the colors really started to get to me. I couldn't figure out the right moves in CC to wash out the awkward tints it had. That, plus the compression, left me missing the BMD colors & RAW. Even with the S-W, I was always trying to match the Alexa color profile, then realized after watching my old 4.6k footage, I was basically there already.

Long story, sorry. Basically, the cost of DSMC2 was too great to end up trying to get it to look like a camera 25% its price.
        Shooting random videos on the 4.6k:
        https://vimeo.com/stephenplusplus

Comment

True, true...thank you.

It seems like a lot of people are selling their new cameras everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
            No longer free. The ursa part of the deal is back up to $3k, which has been its discounted price for a while.
            When I was scouring and emailing camera sellers/sites last week, one local shop told me they had planned on offering the deal, but BH Photo actually bought all their stock of the Ursa 4K PL specifically for this deal. I'm gonna check in with BH soon just to be safe and see if the preorders will be honored.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              True, true...thank you.

It seems like a lot of people are selling their new cameras everyday.
              Well, they are no longer new. They are called used cameras. Because of BMD policy of not honoring the current owner as the legitimate owner of the camera who cannot avail of any promo or upgrade discounts for the used camera bought, it's not worth the risk. I will however by it if and only if...

1. It's pricing is 20% lower than the purchase price (on an open box item) from the date of purchase that first year and with warranty, 20% less each succeeding year (the camera has 0 value by the 5th year).
              2. Comes with dongle on cameras that originally comes with it.
              3. Original owner provides a notarize Transfer of Ownership agreement and waiver for future acquisition of product promo and upgrade discounts that is only afforded to the original owner.

Nothing new for me and everyone I did business with used products have agreed (or no sale). Something you might want to think of as a seller and a buyer.

Comment

You are obsessed with commenting on people's used gear, lol.

I was referring to RED DSMC2 bodies from the conversation with Stephen above anyway.

Ironically, the S-W and especially the Raven have the potential to actually sell for more used than bought brand new.

Comment

You are obsessed with commenting on people's used gear, lol.
                  Not obsessed Bro... Just trying to make sense of the obvious. I have a 2015 Mercedes CLS55 AMG I bought for $120K. It’s lightly driven, 20K miles parked in my garage. I am selling it for 119K with 20K miles left on the limited warranty. The dealer has a brand new 2017 with all the trims and whistle for $120K with a $1000 rebate. Still want it? LOL.

Comment

I know what you're saying and I know you're upset with BM, but that's a terrible comparison.

Comment

I know what you're saying and I know you're upset with BM, but that's a terrible comparison.
                      Why is it a terrible comparison? What's the difference - Cars, Camera, Electronics, etc.? They are commodities whose value depreciates as soon as it is used; or am I missing something. If you might say cars and cameras are terrible comparison, well how about this. I'll bring it home closer to the business I am in - Technology. Computers and Cameras. They are both electronic devices - one is used for digital data acquisition and processing the other for digital image acquisition and processing. Spending $3000 on a Mac and spending $3000 on a URSA (UM4K) has the same warranty (1 Yr) from the manufacturer and same open box depreciation rate of 20% annually from date of purchase + 30 days. These are standard merchant-ability terms. After 30 days of possession, do you expect to resale the used Mac for $2900? Obviously not. It's worth $2400. At least I wouldn't. That would be buyer remorse. Same thing with the camera. That's because they are consumable hardware, meaning they are bound to failure, tear, and wear and it is implied in the terms of merchantability that because of such obvious facts with hardware, parts are warranted only to such extend. Buying used - you lose [some or all] warranty and take potential risk that the manufacturer may not cover. So you compensate it through depreciation such that in the event certain unfortunate things happen, the risk is acceptable. So much for my business rant (you can hint what I do this for a living) LOL.

Anyway, I'm not upset with BM; I think they have bad fundamentals in their marketing strategy and certain customer retention policies. But that's nothing anyone can do until there is customer attrition that affects their bottom line (i.e. RED or ARRI comes out with price/performance competitive cameras which has not happened to date). Right know it is working for BM because I read all the time that customer buy-ins are all time high and competition is not low but manageable for them. I guess that's the dog-eat-dog daily grind of BM business these days. Ha!

Roger out.

Comment

Just got a shipment notification/confirmation from BH for mine.

Comment

I wonder if anyone is still running this special?

Comment

Pretty sure it was a limited quantity thing that ended 3/31.

Well, the bundle is available, but not at the crazy price.

Comment

Working...
                            X