Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big URSA is dead.....has to be when they are giving them away free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    "in reality" I don't think people that work at BMD are going out of their way to lie to us. i take them at their word. the rep was Tony Rivera who we all know. he said he spoke to "Tim" on the engineering team to get this answer. I believe them when they say they are still pursuing it at this time.
    It's not lying; it's following protocol.

Nevertheless, it's always good to have hope.

Comment

Originally posted by RyLo View Post
      Rick, Grant cited having issues creating a 4.6K turret as the reason for the upgrade offer. You're clearly an optimist to read that as 4.6K turret is still coming but delayed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's dead. I don't see BMD pursuing any more turrets for the URSA.

But who knows...
      I don't believe Grant's reason that they are having issues creating a 4.6K turret. The technology is not the issue. The business case is and he's playing everyone. Put on your CEO cap and think of it this way for a moment. Give away all those URSA 4K V1 and clear the inventory. If they are successful, that means a golden opportunity to come out with an announcement at NAB like "we figured out a fixed for the 4.6K turret and here it is for $1995. Wow, everyone with a freebie URSA 4K will likely go out and buy that new turret tomorrow. Geez, what a brilliant man. That's how you become a CEO. I am with Rick on this. I still have hope for the turret. The URSA is big and beastie, but it is a tank of a production camera and I like it more than any of the minis.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
        I don't believe Grant's reason that they are having issues creating a 4.6K turret. The technology is not the issue. The business case is and he's playing everyone. Put on your CEO cap and think of it this way for a moment. Give away all those URSA 4K V1 and clear the inventory. If they are successful, that means a golden opportunity to come out with an announcement at NAB like "we figured out a fixed for the 4.6K turret and here it is for $1995. Wow, everyone with a freebie URSA 4K will likely go out and buy that new turret tomorrow. Geez, what a brilliant man. That's how you become a CEO. I am with Rick on this. I still have hope for the turret. The URSA is big and beastie, but it is a tank of a production camera and I like it more than any of the minis.
        Considering how brilliant he has been in his business decisions it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.
        He might just have created the market for a 4.6k turret to be commercially successful when it previously wasn't.

Comment

Wait, they're going to sell a $6000 dollar cameras for $500 dollars so that they can sell a turret upgrade to the people who just paid to upgrade to a new camera? The objective of this promotion is plain and simple, make a few bucks off of dead inventory. If they had any plans whatsoever to release a turret the whole $500 Ursa promotion would be ridiculous. In fact it is only the hope of the turret that gives the big Ursa any value at all to new consumers, seriously who has bought a new Ursa since the mini was released? It's been two years, please move on with your lives, you're grinding metal Ripley.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
            please move on with your lives, you're grinding metal Ripley.
            Ha!

Right??!!
            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Hey if nobody wants that big ursa, but is willing to shell out full price for the pro, I'll kick in the $500, for the resolve dongle with the giant paper weight. No seriously I could figure out a way to ulilize the beast into my no budget productions, just can't stretch for the 4.6 right now, wish I could.

Comment

What they should have done is create an interchangeable turret/sensor for the UMP...then this would be laid to rest once and for all.

EVERYONE would benefit from it...old and new customers.

(But I guess if you just bought a 4.6K, you probably wouldn't be happy, ha.)

Comment

If I remember correctly Grant said that not many people seemed to be interested in the upgrade...which I'd imagine is likely means little man power will go toward fixing the sensor upgrade.

But if it does get done, clearing out the old stock likely gets them some sensor upgrades they would not have sold otherwise.

Comment

What I've always learned about URSA owners who I've met (not many, but a few) is that the weight eventually gets to everyone.

I defended it for a long time and it eventually got to me too, ha.

It's not that it's physically tiring to use; it's just so limiting. I personally became very lazy with the camera.

With smaller cameras, I felt more inspired to shoot, run around, fly them, get crazy angles...and I know you can have a second camera for that, but just saying.

Comment

Just picked up an Ursa Mini Pro + URSA combo from Adorama. I'm an Ursa Mini 4.6k owner and was firmly in the 'not going to upgrade' camp because I was very content with my 4.6k non-pro. But this was too good of a deal to pass up. Not sure if I'll end up selling or keeping the Ursa 4k PL, but I figure I can get at least $500 for it

Comment

This is my view and my opinion. I believe and subscribe to it. Allow me to share. I own an URSA and will keep my URSA. I am not defending it. I don't need an upgrade or a new camera. What I need is to make more movies for which I enjoy doing and get the satisfaction to seeing the story on the screen. The URSA is just as complete, or more in certain cases, to other cinema cameras. I can understand that it is not as flexible because of its size or weight, or because of this or that. In the right hands, a good story, and good direction, especially for those with very little budget, it is very capable.

As cinematographers, my opinion is to stop toying around with the toys and go make good movies with what we can afford, available to us, with the least cost to make it happen. It can be an iPhone, Chinese knock-off equipment, or whatever that one can afford. If you can afford a UM Pro, RED, or Arri, good. If you can only afford a DSLR, fine. If you have an URSA 4K V1 or you have the budget for the discounted price, go for it. It really doesn't matter. Creative use and imagination will tame the beast and bring out beauty. We need to get over it.

If you can get an URSA 4K V1 now at the good deal now, buy it, own it, learn it, use it to make your next picture. Don't worry about obsolescence. At the end, what sells is what you create and what your audience will pay for to watch. It's not about the camera or you... but how you have used that [whatever] camera and equipment to bring out your best. I always tell myself to not be played by vendor's marketing specs and objectives. That's a recipe for disaster (over budget - personal or on a project). If I'm in need of certain camera and equipment because of client spec, that's when I rent and make my client pay for the rental cost. Outside of that, I use what I have and I suggest you do too. I really meant well here. End of rant. GO MAKE MOVIES.

Cheers.

Comment

Ya, I would say the real winners are people who are now able to get their hands on an Ursa 4k for cheap now. Global shutter, raw, great frame rates, if they can work with the form factor, it's still a very functioning camera. Blackmagic's decision to 'abandon' the turrets doesn't make it a better or worse camera than it already was.

The real losers are current URSA owners, and in a big way. No turrets, and now the resale value of the URSA's will plummet.

Comment

I appreciate that EYu, but I'm down for both -- I make and sell my movies *and* use some of that money to feed my gear lust.
                            Last edited by Zak Forsman; 03-16-2017, 09:52 AM.
                            DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
                            THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Comment

Originally posted by Zak Forsman View Post
                              I appreciate that EYu, but I'm down for both -- I make and sell my movies *and* use some of that money to feed my gear lust.
                              And I think that's perfectly alright if the sale makes more than enough to feed anyone's gear lust and some. I have seen struggling folks and productions fail because their lust for gears outweigh what they can deliver and sale. A few small production shops I once envied for their very cool and expensive gears have closed their doors and the owners are still neck deep in debt from gear purchases and little or no sell to even break even.

Comment

[QUOTE=mstrouty;233694]Ya, I would say the real winners are people who are now able to get their hands on an Ursa 4k for cheap now. Global shutter, raw, great frame rates, if they can work with the form factor, it's still a very functioning camera. Blackmagic's decision to 'abandon' the turrets doesn't make it a better or worse camera than it already was.
                                The real losers are current URSA owners, and in a big way. No turrets, and now the resale value of the URSA's will plummet.[/QUOT

Not really, you do not not buy a camera today, with its resale value in mind, each year that goes by, a camera's value goes down, as new improved tech comes along. You get a camera and use it today, to shoot your projects as EYu pointed out, it's not entirely the camera, it is How you use it that counts. Case in point, my AF100A sold for $4K when new, I upgraded when the cost of a new camera went down to $2K, today I would be hard pressed to find a buyer for it. But it did what I needed at the time, as still does, shoots interviews very nicely.
                                Several Hollywood movies used this camera, one shot mostly on it.

Same goes for the Ursa, would live to get the PL model, but do I need it right now, no, same goes for the new Ursa Mini Pro, which would closer meet my needs, but the GS on the Big Ursa would be grand!
                                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X