Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just ordered a Ursa Mini Pro, a couple questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered a Ursa Mini Pro, a couple questions.

Hi guys,

I have been lurking at the forum for some time and decided to join the blackmagic club after the pro announcement. I can't wait to get the camera

I have ordered the pro, EVF, vlock plate and shoulder mount. Just had a couple questions:

-I would like to wait for the ssd attachment and not buy cfast cards if I can help it so initially I am planning on shooting hd/uhd res with sd cards. Does the sensor do full readout and downsample to those resolutions or does it crop?

-This is the first "big" camera I am buying, I am curious what you guys use for carrying the camera and accessories. Are there any places that do custom inlays for pelican cases? I have a big enough pelican case from the tilta shoulder rig I bought and would love to repurpose that for ursa mini.

I will think of some more questions but thanks in advance for any help.

cheers!
    Ali

If you decide to go for a new case...

http://www.jasoncases.com/store/prod...e-red-overlay/

That's for the regular 4.6K, but he may consider custom jobs.

Comment

1. ProRes is downscaled, RAW is cropped.

2. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=custom+inlay+pelican+case

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        If you decide to go for a new case...

http://www.jasoncases.com/store/prod...e-red-overlay/

That's for the regular 4.6K, but he may consider custom jobs.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

I've owned an UM 4K and a 4.6k and while I'm no expert I think with your spending near $8000 for your new rig you would be making a tragic mistake to not also source at least a couple Cfast cards . . . like owning a Formula One racer then powering it with solar panels. I don't think the SSD is going to be able to keep up with high frame rates at full resolution.

Perhaps more importantly, and this is strictly my guess, it may be sometime after the Mini Pro makes its entrance before the SSD attachment becomes available... Butt who nose?
          Canon 6D Mark II, 24-70, 70-200, Tokina 11-20, Sigma 18-35, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4.

Comment

Originally posted by dregenthal View Post
            I've owned an UM 4K and a 4.6k and while I'm no expert I think with your spending near $8000 for your new rig you would be making a tragic mistake to not also source at least a couple Cfast cards . . . like owning a Formula One racer then powering it with solar panels. I don't think the SSD is going to be able to keep up with high frame rates at full resolution.

Perhaps more importantly, and this is strictly my guess, it may be sometime after the Mini Pro makes its entrance before the SSD attachment becomes available... Butt who nose?
            I will definitely pick some up down the line but I have a lot of samsung evo pro ssd's I would rather use if I can at least in the short term. I will start shooting my project in July and if Cfast is my only option by then I will go with it.

Comment

Why wouldn't an SSD outperform CFast 2.0? The fastest (and ridiculously expensive) CF2.0 I've seen writes at 450MBps, and reads at 550MBps. Most SSDs write at 550MBps, and read at 550MBps. The fastest (and more costly) SSD writes at 900MBps, and reads at 2,200MBps.

Comment

No, these are short burst data transfer rates and not the actual rate if waiting and reading cintinious video dsta streams. CFast has has a faster transfer potential, from what I understand, and current CFadt cards are not near that rate, while traditional Sata 2.5-inch SSDs are now close to their maximum data rate. Also SSDs are not as reliable with data storage and are larger, requiring more room for the card slot. Even eSata EVO SSD (which are more compact the standard SSDs) were passed over in favor to the smaller CFast cards.
                Cheers
                Last edited by Denny Smith; 03-08-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Not true at all.
                  We've done sustained testing with SSDs and get 550 sustained.
                  With M.2 we get 1500.
                  Why do you think DJI uses M2 media in their 5.2k RAW camera?
                  Size and speed.
                  And why do you think BM is offering a SSD option in the pro?
                  It's because they finally listened.

Comment

I did Tom Antos DIY ssd solution, and it works great. I'll still definitely buy the blackmagic ssd thing if it ever comes out for the um46, but in the meantime it might work for you. I'm not a diy person at all but it was super easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTktgfX19o0

Comment

It would be sweet if the pro had a way to do m2 ssds.

Comment

Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                        Not true at all.
                        We've done sustained testing with SSDs and get 550 sustained.
                        With M.2 we get 1500.
                        Why do you think DJI uses M2 media in their 5.2k RAW camera?
                        Size and speed.
                        And why do you think BM is offering a SSD option in the pro?
                        It's because they finally listened.
                        Right you are, and these cards are great. But they require an external enclosure, like Video Devices did with their EVO mSata cards for the PixE recorder. CFast is a compact, self contained ruggedly made unit, and is similar in formfactor to the previous pro camera media standard, CF cards. The smaller SD cards are more of a consumer/prosumer media, Sony has its own, Red and Arri their own media cards, to ensure reliability of that media - no second chances, trtskes due to failed media take time and cost money!

Each recording media out there has its advantages and disadvantages, SSDs were designed for general computer data applications, not recording video. Can they be used to do so, some of them yes, but not all of them, as shown by BM and Video Devices testing.
                        CFast cards, in the other hand, were designed for photo and video data recording -- it is more than just read/write data rates, it is How they write and read that data, and can handle continuous high-bit rate data streams, that counts.
                        Cheers

Comment

Hey

I have a 256gb Card (Transcend, approved) that I dont need anymore. Happy to sell it onto another creator.

Comment

I haven't seen anyone mention this. The Ursa Mini Pro has built-in ND filters, but does it have an ir filter?

Comment

I don't think the SSD is going to be able to keep up with high frame rates at full resolution.
                              They will just as much as CFast2.0 does if you buy proper SSDs. Cfast2.0 is just SATA 3 Solid State Memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X