BM Camera and Resolve announcement on Thursday at 12 PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by plplayer View Post
    I spoke with someone at Blackmagic earlier and they stated that the upgrade is only extended to the original owner. I then asked if that gave a person whow sold their camera the ability to cash in on the upgrade. Their response was, "I can't speak for the original customer but yes, that situation does exist."
    Wow, amazing. I should find one of those users and give them a few bucks to buy a camera for me

Comment

• Why is it a less of a cinema camera? Many commenters say it. Justa ?

Comment

• Originally posted by plplayer View Post
        I spoke with someone at Blackmagic earlier and they stated that the upgrade is only extended to the original owner. I then asked if that gave a person whow sold their camera the ability to cash in on the upgrade. Their response was, "I can't speak for the original customer but yes, that situation does exist."
        That makes sense they likely still have a copy of the receipt.

Heck I have a recepit where I bought one and returned it to B&H. I'm sure they won't honor it though lol.

Comment

• plenty of talk about function and bmd's business policies, i want to see some footage from the pro.

i want to be convinced that the pro solved any iq issues that might still reside within the mini.

i'm just saying,

be well.

rob
          smalltalk.productions

Comment

• Originally posted by davide View Post
            Why is it a less of a cinema camera? Many commenters say it. Justa ?
            Wondering about that too! What they added is great!

Not sure what everyone is smoking.

Comment

It's not. BM took their cinematic Ursa Mini and gave it the functionality, versatility, and the quick ease of use of a Canon C300. Keep in mind that Canon refers to their cameras as cinema cameras as well. It's really just an arbitrary term. Basically any camera that strives for a cinematic look is called a cinema camera.

Anyways, you can ignore the ENG improvements, and use the Ursa Mini Pro in the exact same manner as the Ursa Mini 4.6k and get the exact same results. But if you are not going to use the ENG benefit, if you never will shoot live events or documentaries or run & gun productions with it, then save a little and buy the original Ursa Mini. Use it purely for cinematic productions and be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by robfilms View Post
                plenty of talk about function and bmd's business policies, i want to see some footage from the pro.

i want to be convinced that the pro solved any iq issues that might still reside within the mini.

i'm just saying,

be well.

rob
                smalltalk.productions
                It would have any issues the 4.6k currently does sensor wise (which is very few). The sensor is the same. You can view the release notes for the firmware here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...eff4ebab846cda

Only changes are for the hardware buttons and such.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
                  All I want is them to add DNxHD/HR (or at least them to respond to my emails about it which they haven't). No Big deal if they don't though.
                  DNx for URSA Mini (and Pro) is currently still under development. As usual i can't give a timeline for any potential future updates.
                  Blackmagic Design
                  My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

• Appreciate the thought that I have some insider knowledge, but with regard to anything related to yesterday's announcement, I am as surprised as most people about what transpired. I was on record expecting BMD was going to announce an URSA Micro 4.6K that several people then said they'd buy in an instant if that happened. As for the lack of an upgrade path to the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K, I speculated it might happen after the tsunami of orders subside in a few months or more.

Not to be disrespectful of BMD or anyone on the forum, I'm still hoping a global shutter with high dynamic range in a new sensor is on the horizon. Until then, I'm so happy with the URSA Mini PL/B4 4.6K I have that does what I need for the most part, that I'm standing pat. I can make my Cinema camera function through the menus fairly rapidly and since I've just bought a complete set of IRND filters, that's put to bed. We've been told the UMP4.6K has the new improved preamps that are in the Video Assist 4K, so that's a leg up on my UM46K, but I'll work around that current limitation. Image and sound are more important to me than the other new features. I understand the image on the Mini Pro is the same in all respects to the Mini 4.6K, so I'm good.

Comment

• I find it curious that they made these announcements one month before NAB. That, and the three big items - the Mini Pro & 2 control panels - are NOW SHIPPING. Craziness.

But it makes me wonder if they'll still announce maybe a Pocket V2 at NAB? I mean, if the Mini Pro & control panels are all they've got, why not wait to make the announcement at NAB??? I can't imagine they're gunning for GH5 fence sitters?
                      vimeo.com/kenfranks

Comment

• This guy thinks a new MFT cam is still coming...

http://www.43rumors.com/watch-the-bl...camera-coming/

Comment

• So when do they enable 120fps 4.6k RAW for the Ursa Mini Pro?

Comment

My take on it is that BM had too many separate camera's and bodies out there and they are trying to fiddle it down to one camera line right now like red and the other camera makes have. So this is wha they have and it is an all purpose camera body that does everything so that they do not have to produce separate models. It probably helps them out as far as Customer Service if they are only going to be dealing with one line of camera going forward. Also this way they have one camera to debug issues and hopefully get it shooting studio films like the Alexa and Red are. If you look they are technically one line of camera with a new update doing something completely different from the last camera. BM found the body style they like.
                            Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
                            http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                              This guy thinks a new MFT cam is still coming...

http://www.43rumors.com/watch-the-bl...camera-coming/
                              Very interesting. I'm going to hold off till NAB cause I would love a m4/3 Ursa Mini.

Comment

• The guy that runs those sites has been correct and wrong in the past...but this is the first time I've ever seen a BM rumor.

I'm holding off until NAB for everything myself...but just FYI...

Comment

Working...
                                X