Choosing a SmallRig Mounting Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a SmallRig Mounting Plate

I'm starting to build up a kit of accessories for my URSA Mini, and since I'm on a very limited budget, have been considering parts from SmallRig.

Right off the bat I have a bit of choice paralysis over a mounting base. They have two options available that look suitable:

smallrig-baseplates-1674-1775.jpg

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mul...4&category=843

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mou...amps-1775.html

Between the two, I like the fact that the 1775 has front and back rod supports, but the top plate isn't as protected by rubber pads as well as the 1674. SmallRig includes the 1674 in a kit they offer for the URSA Mini, which implies that it's their recommendation for the camera. But looking at it from the underside, which is mostly hollow, I wonder if the material is a bit thin compared to the 1775.

Just wondering among folks here what kind of performance to expect from SmallRig components and if there is any feedback on experience with either of these parts.
    Last edited by Earl R. Thurston; 02-12-2017, 05:34 PM.

Originally posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    I'm starting to build up a kit of accessories for my URSA Mini, and since I'm on a very limited budget, have been considering parts from SmallRig.

Right off the bat I have a bit of choice paralysis over a mounting base. They have two options available that look suitable:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22980[/ATTACH]

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mul...4&category=843

http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG-Mou...amps-1775.html

Between the two, I like the fact that the 1775 has front and back rod supports, but the top plate isn't as protected by rubber pads as well as the 1674. SmallRig includes the 1674 in a kit they offer for the URSA Mini, which implies that it's their recommendation for the camera. But looking at it from the underside, which is mostly hollow, I wonder if the material is a bit thin compared to the 1775.

Just wondering among folks here what kind of performance to expect from SmallRig components and if there is any feedback on experience with either of these parts.
    If I was you, I would get the 1798. The 1798 has more support for bigger cameras that will be front heavy. I'm using the 1775 as a baseplate for my BMMCC rig and it's built like a tank. The 1798 just adds another plate at the bottom for support.

Comment

I'm not sold on my SmallRIG base plate, I've had it for about 5-6 months now and it comes loose all the time (with 2x 1/4 screws in) and the 15mm rod holes on one side actually closed over (I guess is the term) and the rods wouldn't go through, I had to get a screwdriver in there and open it back up (I think this was most likely caused by heat).

I'm about to buy some more 1/4 screws, maybe that will assist more.

Comment

Neither, You should look at the Wooden Camera Ursa Mini Unified baseplate with rod support. A much better built unit with the support this camera needs.

Comment

It was stated that he is on a very limited budget. Wooden Camera products exceeds very limited budget in my eyes. Just my opinion.

Comment

I use various Smallrig components and haven't had any probs. They all do what they were designed to do.
            There is quite a choice out there, take a look at this thread - http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ate-and-handle

Comment

Originally posted by Bino View Post
              If I was you, I would get the 1798. The 1798 has more support for bigger cameras that will be front heavy. I'm using the 1775 as a baseplate for my BMMCC rig and it's built like a tank. The 1798 just adds another plate at the bottom for support.
              The 1798 had also been a contender, but in my case I have a Cartoni quick release plate which would act as the bottom plate between the two rod supports. Glad to hear your comment about the 1775.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                Neither, You should look at the Wooden Camera Ursa Mini Unified baseplate with rod support. A much better built unit with the support this camera needs.
                Indeed, that's way out of my budget. Plus, I wouldn't need the quick release as I already have that on my tripod head.

Comment

A budget is important, but getting an I adequate bit, that needs to support the entire static and dynamic load of your rig is Not the place to try and save $. Small Rig and similar inexpensive units look nice, I tried several, but they all failed to hold my AF100 rig securely, or added movement between the camera and tripod plate. You need to have at least 2, preferably 3 (one of which should be 3/8the) mounting screws between camera and the rod support plate. This plate needs a secure adjustment up/down to get proper center spacing between the rods and lens center, tomallowma matt box to fit properly, or be preset to the ARRI standard setting (thismis where most inexpensive knock off plates fail, or add movement.

The Wooden Camera and Zacuto Universal,p,area would also work, and can be used copies can be found. You have $3-5K invested in your camera, and trying to save $100-200 on an inadequate mounting plate is Not what I would recommend. Your entire rig is only as secure as its weakest point, and this can be a very weak spot if not done correctly. I have seen cheap mounting plates fail to wither hold the rig adequately, adding camera movement, or fail completely, dropping thencsmera setup to the deck.

The choice is yours, but look around for some better used solutions that might be closer to your budget first.
                  Cheers

Comment

The 1798 had also been a contender, but in my case I have a Cartoni quick release plate which would act as the bottom plate between the two rod supports. Glad to hear your comment about the 1775.
                    Then go for it. I have the Manfrotto 577 quick release plate on top of the 1775 so I can attach my BMMCC to a tripod without the Rod system.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
                      I'm not sold on my SmallRIG base plate.
                      Which model is yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                        Small Rig and similar inexpensive units look nice, I tried several, but they all failed to hold my AF100 rig securely, or added movement between the camera and tripod plate.
                        That's essentially the feedback I'm looking for. In terms of the failures, is it because the parts wore out or broke in some manner?

Budget-wise, it's not a conscious choice to limit the funds. I'm in a chicken-and-egg situation where I can't spend the money until I earn the money, and can't earn the money if I don't have the components I need. Upgrades down the road will happen eventually. This is mostly just to get the ball rolling.

Comment

With the proper care and maintenance, any decent rig will get you through projects without buying expensive name brand parts. It's how you treat your equipment. Screws will get loose the same way you have to change the oil in a vehicle. You will have to check your rig and make sure that everything is good and working before you use it. If you don't want to keep tightening up screws, put some epoxy around them. Just my opinion once again.

Comment

That's essentially the feedback I'm looking for. In terms of the failures, is it because the parts wore out or broke in some manner?

Budget-wise, it's not a conscious choice to limit the funds. I'm in a chicken-and-egg situation where I can't spend the money until I earn the money, and can't earn the money if I don't have the components I need. Upgrades down the road will happen eventually. This is mostly just to get the ball rolling.
                            Earl,

I'm in the same situation. I'm getting something that can help me to start making a profit so I can upgrade in the future. Smallrig is a great for people like us that are just starting to make some kind of profit working in the industry.

Comment

In my experience Smallrig makes good stuff. Not as good as Berkey (expensive and worth it) but it's pretty nice and having used their products for a few years they are improving over time. Contrast them with say Lanparte and all of a sudden their stuff looks great. I would say that overall Wooden Camera has better design but I don't know that the quality is that much better today.

Comment

Working...
                              X