Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC) VS Sony A6500 Camera Shootout

Hey Guys!

Thought I'd do a little camera comparison between the new Sony A6500 and the beloved Pocket..

Let me know your thoughts!

Which accessory is that between the two cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
      Which accessory is that between the two cameras?
      1/4'' to 1/8'' thread adapter.

Comment

Yea, I was wondering if it was any specific model with any special locking. Looks like you managed to line up the cameras and tighten everything perfectly (but I wouldn't know if they are loose). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
          Yea, I was wondering if it was any specific model with any special locking. Looks like you managed to line up the cameras and tighten everything perfectly (but I wouldn't know if they are loose). Thanks!
          Completely forgot which model it is! Got it from B&H Photo a few years ago. The Sony on top was very loose and I did encounter some shaky footage.

Comment

Thanks for the test! Both look ok. The sony doesn't look as bad as I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by froess View Post
              Thanks for the test! Both look ok. The sony doesn't look as bad as I expected.
              I'm already a convert to the Sony...I love my pocket but no slowmotion and just 1080p were limiting me from shooting loads of things...

Comment

Highlight on the Sony appears to have more DR but the Pocket appears to be slightly higher exposure.
                Despite only 1080p the Pocket has a bit more detail than the Sony with 4k.

Have you try doing a test with RAW?

Comment

Yes, Slog can handle a hell of a lot of contrast. BUT it comes in an 8 bit codec, while the BM camera delivers 10 bit (or even RAW). As soon as you start serious grading, the quality will fall apart, even if the codec in the Sonys is not bad.
                  Remember: 10 bit is not 20% more than 8 bit, but 300%…

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                    Highlight on the Sony appears to have more DR but the Pocket appears to be slightly higher exposure.
                    Despite only 1080p the Pocket has a bit more detail than the Sony with 4k.

Have you try doing a test with RAW?
                    Sony definitely kills the pocket when it comes to resolution and 4k.... If you saw the full screen comparisons you would understand. 4k is 4k for a reason. I know YouTube and windowing both frames hindered the examples of resolution.

I would do RAW vs 100mbs 4K on the Sony. Unfortunately, I just sold my Pocket today.
                    Last edited by NickB; 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                      How do you compare DR of two low-contrast log clips? Whatever "basic color correction" means (from the youtube comments), neither clip has been correctly normalized to rec 709.

You might as well try to assess color by looking at B&W versions.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd View Post
                        How do you compare DR of two low-contrast log clips? Whatever "basic color correction" means (from the youtube comments), neither clip has been correctly normalized to rec 709.

You might as well try to assess color by looking at B&W versions.
                        Yes, I'm seeing similar thing. Neither image seems properly white balanced, seems like there is also IR contamination, especially on Sony image. The snow looks like it's not rolling off as nice to my eyes on the Sony.

Take this all with a grain a salt as I'm watching on a laptop and not on a calibrated broadcast monitor.

Comment

I would never trade-off 1080p 12-bit RAW (and BMD colour science) for 4K 8-bit whatever-Log. Resolution isn't the primary measure stick for me.
                          https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
                          Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
                          Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
                          LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
                          Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
                          Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
                          Windows 10 Pro
                          Resolve 12.5.4.019
                          ASUS X99-A
                          Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
                          16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
                          ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
                          Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
                          Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Comment

Originally posted by Tomas Stacewicz View Post
                            I would never trade-off 1080p 12-bit RAW (and BMD colour science) for 4K 8-bit whatever-Log. Resolution isn't the primary measure stick for me.
                            I hardly ever shoot in RAW anymore. And the limits of only 30p is seriously limiting considering I need to shoot music videos. For the 99% of people that can't tell the difference between an iPhone and a red camera the Sony is an awesome upgrade for me. I've had the pocket for the past 3 years. Sure the pocket is still an amazing camera. If black magic makes a BMPCC 2 with 100fps and 4k raw I'm totally down

Comment

Whatever gets the job done. I might get an a6500 to pair with my 6300. I could then use one body for video and the other for flash photography/mc11 adapted lenses. Currently, my a6300 is bolted to my metabones IV via smallrig cage. I can't fit a flash trigger with the cage installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X