new to RAW forma and have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by offbeatbryce View Post
    I was looking at this external recorder that records uncompressed Prores. Is that the same thing as raw? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tle_2_SSD.html
    No.

This device records compressed codecs ProRes HQ and DNxHD.

The 'Uncompressed' is only as an HD resolution 4:2:2 QuickTime file. But it only records what comes into it over the SDI input. It just simply doesn't compress it any further.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I was looking at this external recorder that records uncompressed Prores. Is that the same thing as raw? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tle_2_SSD.html

No, RAW is unprocessed data straight from the camera sensor, uncompressed ProRes means no additional compression is being applied to a processed signal. This means that whatever sensor data has been discarded in the processing is still gone, but all the data that remains is preserved.

Comment

Also, I think people downplay how labor intensive shooting RAW is on your computer. I bought a maxxed out brand new 2016 MBP (the one before the newest one) and I still have trouble editing and experimenting with a lot of RAW footage. I shot my first music video in RAW and decided to never shoot RAW again. RAW slows my workflow speed down by an easy 30-40%

Comment

Let's say I shoot Raw on SD cards and prores on external. Can I edit everything in prores in Adobe premiere then re link the prores files to raw?

Comment

Bryce, I understand what you are trying to get to but I think it is detrimental to device a workflow to work around for getting to just capturing raw. I suggest you try ProRes HQ in film mode and see how much you can work with it. You might just end up liking it. If you insist in BMD cameras 4K in Raw, then buy this and 2 1tb Samsung Evo SSD and your storage problem to shoot 5 hrs or more of raw 4k will be solved.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...st_to_ssd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_1tb_2_5.html

Comment

Let's say I shoot Raw on SD cards and prores on external. Can I edit everything in prores in Adobe premiere then re link the prores files to raw?
              Yes, but it's exhausting for any significant project without very careful planning.

Adobe round-trip workflows automate by looking for filenames and ignoring extensions, so if you want to link CAM1_2017-01-11_2131_C0011.mov to the RAW it's going to look for CAM1_2017-01-11_2131_C0011.dng

The additional problem is that an external recorder may not be frame-perfect, and definitely won't be if you have to manually trigger it.

This is why the best practice for RAW workflows is to generate proxy files from your RAWs, it ensures that they're frame-perfect and have the same file names.

Comment

It records uncompressed quicktime not uncompressed Pro-Res, a subtle yet important distinction.

The uncompressed files are actually larger than the raw files and contain less information so not terribly useful.

Comment

You should be looking at Resolve for real time raw editing. Premiere works but is lacking in performance.
                  Also, there are no 4K BM cameras recording raw on SD cards. Only Pocket and Micro record on SD, and they are both 1080p.
                  Shutter Angle: The science and magic of shooting moving pictures

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                    Bryce, I understand what you are trying to get to but I think it is detrimental to device a workflow to work around for getting to just capturing raw. I suggest you try ProRes HQ in film mode and see how much you can work with it.
                    Agreed. RAW isn't the magical realm it might seem. In many situations, you may not even notice much difference when processing RAW vs high bitrate Pro Res. Grab a used BMPCC and start shooting Pro Res. Even the lower bit rates are impressive. In the meantime, follow the various blogs and YouTube videos out there - they will answer the workflow questions you have.

Comment

Originally posted by cpc View Post
                      You should be looking at Resolve for real time raw editing. Premiere works but is lacking in performance.
                      Oh, yeah, something I didn't mention is that Premiere's Mercury Playback Engine can't actually use the 12bit dng, so automatically interprets RAW at 10bit, which will screw up any LUTs you want to apply.

Comment

wow

Originally posted by FoldableHuman View Post
                        Oh, yeah, something I didn't mention is that Premiere's Mercury Playback Engine can't actually use the 12bit dng, so automatically interprets RAW at 10bit, which will screw up any LUTs you want to apply.

Really? That's horrible.

Comment

Working...
                        X