Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats you best slap dash approach to stabilisation... is a motorised gimbal worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats you best slap dash approach to stabilisation... is a motorised gimbal worth it?

Ok.. So... I love filming... As much as I enjoy professional organised filmed shoots with all the kit that entails...I love the ability to capture impromptu moments and make little edits and sometimes arrive at some surprisingly beautiful shots.

I like being able to grab my small camera bag and when ever I want, pull out my Pocket rig and run around capturing to my hearts content.

RIG: Black Magic Pocket - SmallHD cage - metabones adaptor - Sigma to 18-35mm - adjustable ND filter + I have a Sony NPF battery with adaptor crudely attached to the cameras cage...

Now stabilisation is always an issue.
    I have access to a shoulder rig, small tripod, big tripod, even a big ol' jib .... but none seem quite right for an impromptu spot of filming.... to date a small tripod seems the most versatile acting as a counter weight like a poor mans weighted stabiliser when carried by my cages handle...plus it offers something to lean against my body or a surface for extra stability whilst still being able to move around... I'm tempted by some of the hand held motorised gimbals but I'd have to lose the cage and go for a smaller lens (for most)... plus the option to quickly place it on a rock/ground would be lost...

Can anyone recommend an alternative stabilisation method that my work for me...

Here's an example of a film I made on Sunday with all sort of wobbly-ness... probably filmed a total of 8 minutes and edited within an hour in front of the evenings Netflix addiction... I didn't bother taking the tripod with me as I needed one hand to carry the little one over some moments of impending doom... (aka cliffs plus the tide coming in).

https://vimeo.com/193270928

Perhaps i just need to find an even more versatile, lighter tripod... or consider a motorised hand held gimbal for the pocket cam.... or just lose a lot of visual quality and range and invest in a DJI OSMO...
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

That is always the dilemma, need to make compromises. Small gimbal, easy to carry and move around, but requires small lenses. Big lenses ->big and heavy gimbal. It comes down to what really is important for you.

There is always the steady cam solutions, but also with them you need to consider how much weight you put on them.

I have developed couple of gimbals that are a bit outside the box. LeViteZer 360 takes the camera on top of the gimbal, but also it needs balancing adjusting counterweights.

http://www.levitezer.com/blog/files/...a7f55f-48.html

The other one is for Micro cameras and for small lenses, but provides awesome freedom to move around with the gimbal, the LeViteZer CYRP45

http://www.levitezer.com/blog/files/...9fe25a-28.html

These both are very much different gimbals and also different than any normal handheld gimbal, they all have their unique strengths.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Comment

A good gimbal like the Zhiyun Crane for cameras up to 1200 grams with the addition of a monopod can be quite a flexible solution.

Comment

IS lenses!

I'm sure you've already thought of that, but mentioning it because for some reason it took me forever to come to this conclusion. I tried handheld gimbals and everything, but eventually realized for the sort of thing you're describing and for the sort of stuff that's in that vimeo link, i'm happiest if i just take a stabilized lens.

Comment

I think you're gonna have a tough time finding anything that'll work with the BMPocket and the heavy Sigma 18-35. It automatically makes it too front heavy to work with virtually anything that isn't incredibly expensive.

Comment

I've used the Ronin M extensively on high paced run and gun shoots (2 weeks going and going). It made me really not want to pick up my Ronin (full sized) again. It was light and easy set up and I could run around all day with it and a A7s with 35mm Rokinon (physically long lens). From I balanced it in the morning I was good all day...literally running around doing high paced stuff like hanging off the back of vans,off the side of yatchs, on the back of ATV...jumping into buses and out and ready to shoot type stuff.
            Darren Scott
            Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

I use the Ronin M with the Pocket with 18-35 plus speed booster constantly. It works perfectly and is more than capable of balancing the two.
              The Ronin line of gimbals are imo just as good as any gimbal in the market and better than most.
              It's unfortunate you made this query just after B&H had a "Deal Zone" on the Ronin M and Ronin. $300-$600 off respectively.

I've noticed lately that Movi is running deals of $2000 to $3000 off on theirs.
              If you offer $2000 off on your gimbals it means you were rapping us originally. But they were the only quality gimbals at that time so I can understand the pricing... kind of.
              Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

I'm gonna be odd man out and vote mono-pod

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Davis View Post
                  Well with that at least you get to focus . Ronin M run and gun stuff is equal distance judging or just deep focus. So a bit limiting.
                  Darren Scott
                  Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Davis View Post
                    A monopod is a good tool. And it's so cheap and easy to pack that it should ALWAYS be in your arsenal.
                    They don;t do as much...but sometimes you don't need as much.
                    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

When shooting wide, I think the quickest and most portable form of stabilization is a shortish neck strap. Locking the strap out firmly in front of you gets rid of the type of micro movements that i see in your video above. It's still no good for walking, but you can actually do some nice sweeping motions with it without micro jittery shakes.

Monopods are great if you feel like carrying that much. At least you can still float a bit without shakes. Gimbal yet more cumbersome in some ways. It all depends on what you're willing to take with you AND what other type of shooting you're willing to sacrifice. Remember that on the gimbal you won't be pulling focus, changing quickly from closeups to medium shots, to landscape, etc. It kind locks you in.

Comment

Latest thing...

A cinesaddle slung around your neck. Balance the camera on it. In oz we call operating like this "Melbourne style" because apparently, that's where it started.....

You look like an idiot. But it works. Real well. Doesn't feel stablised either. Just real..

https://johnbrawley.files.wordpress....ee710845_b.jpg

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...amera-Support)

http://www.timpalmerdp.com/blog_373_3169734714.JPG

JB

Comment

I don't know. You just have to try it yourself. I bought the ronin m from that bh sale and I'm not too sure about it. The a6300 with my lenses makes the balancing awkward. There's not much wiggle room out of the box. Maybe a manfrotto quick release with sliding plate could add more sliding room, but it's up to you. Some people might need the pro dovetail with weights, but I'm not buying that. I guess most are just making the motors compensate for the uneven balance, but who knows. I'm just gonna return it for now, though.

Comment

Originally posted by The HRHM View Post
                            I don't know. You just have to try it yourself. I bought the ronin m from that bh sale and I'm not too sure about it. The a6300 with my lenses makes the balancing awkward. There's not much wiggle room out of the box. Maybe a manfrotto quick release with sliding plate could add more sliding room, but it's up to you. Some people might need the pro dovetail with weights, but I'm not buying that. I guess most are just making the motors compensate for the uneven balance, but who knows. I'm just gonna return it for now, though.
                            I'm not using this he A6300 so I'm not sure about its weight, and not sure of what lens you are using so you may be having issues.
                            But as for a Pocket with the Sigma 18-35 it works great and using all stock Ronin M plates.
                            And I would never use the motors to compensate for a bad balance or not being able to zero the balance out.
                            I don't have tons of room with my Pocket in the rear but I have plenty to make it balance.
                            With my BMMCC I do have to use the my small rig cage to even out the load so the rear of the camera won't touch the gimbal, but I'm using that all the time anyways.

Side note: I also work with a mono pod for times when it's needed. When non walking shots are called for it works more than fine.
                            I use a Sirui mono pod, pretty much the best you can find.
                            Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Cook View Post
                              I'm not using this he A6300 so I'm not sure about its weight, and not sure of what lens you are using so you may be having issues.
                              But as for a Pocket with the Sigma 18-35 it works great and using all stock Ronin M plates.
                              And I would never use the motors to compensate for a bad balance or not being able to zero the balance out.
                              I don't have tons of room with my Pocket in the rear but I have plenty to make it balance.
                              With my BMMCC I do have to use the my small rig cage to even out the load so the rear of the camera won't touch the gimbal, but I'm using that all the time anyways.

Side note: I also work with a mono pod for times when it's needed. When non walking shots are called for it works more than fine.
                              I use a Sirui mono pod, pretty much the best you can find.
                              Yeah, the setup I tried was the a6300, smallrig cage, metabones IV, sigma 18-35, Tokina 11-20 and a Tokina 100mm. Tried to keep it barebones, but it's not perfect. I'm not getting the "leave in any position" balance. It's really front heavy and the a6300 doesn't have that smartphone shape like the bmpcc. I wish it would work out of the box, but it's not. Adding a wireless FF would compound the problem. So, I didn't bother to wait for that to arrive.

The Sirui is nice. I own one, too. I just need a dedicated fluidhead for it. Still debating on a main pro fluidhead, though. Sach fsb8 or that miller20.

Comment

Working...
                              X