BMD's Biggest Differentiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndrewDeme View Post
    As for everyone who feels the need to defend the 'honor' of ProRes and how useful it is, I agree it is fine...just not something I could be bothered with, similar to the idea of people that love pushbikes but I can't be bothered to ride one as electric skateboards make way more sense to me.
    You just shot yourself in the foot (at least in my eyes and I'm sure the eyes of many others on this forum) with your own analogy.
    The whole point is I like to ride push bikes and I like to use electric skateboards, not one over the other.

Not everybody wants a camera to be a dictator, some want it to be a democracy, BM understand this and I thank them for it, if I could only shoot RAW in these cameras, I wouldn't own them.

Comment

I think Blackmagic HAD the big differentiator with their original Cinema Camera, and also in the Production 4k camera. Too bad they gave up on it because it was totally original and no other makers have done it.

I'm talking of course about the obvious fact that the original Cinema camera and BMPC are left-handed cameras.

I feel they really gave up on their original brilliance when they gave in and made the Pocket and Ursa Cameras.

Now, the Micro is sort of a return to their original intention...but it's hard to really say since it's a bit of a special purpose camera, what with the 'no-screen' form factor and all.
      Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
        There is many things I hope the camera developers would focus into:

1. Image flow instead of single images. Develop a sensor that makes the global shutter irrelevant.
        2. Perfect pixels, finally get rid of Bayer, maybe the solution is Foveon, maybe something else, but just give us perfect pixels, maybe adding also BW pixels for better dynamic range.
        3. Color science, What color science, that is only needed because imperfect pixels and compressed storage even on RAW, yeah I mean that, what is LUT but a compression. Just give us 16 bit RAW.
        4. And if that is not possible provide in 8K, 6k, 4k, so what give us perfect FHD, that is the format most are viewing the videos anyway.
        Some good points.
        I too wait for cameras that produce perfect pixels. Imo it's the one thing other than dynamic range and resolution that closes down the gap between the look and feel of film and digital. I have a Sigma DP2 that sports a Foveon sensor and it's just a different thing compared to Bayer sensors.

Sigma's Foveon cameras shoot their own raw format and you need a Sigma software to process it, none other will. I guess that would be a simple example of an exclusive interconnection between camera and post-production.

I too see many possibilities in the symbiosis between camera and post production. So if I got it right, Andrew's main point is not about Prores, the choice between one or several codecs or existing codecs at all, but about completely new approaches that could simplify, automate, individualize or customize the process from image capturing to post-processing.

Comment

Keeping the 'out there idea' going...what about say bolting 4 Micro's into a std frame, with specific lenses, shoot RAW and auto process and stitch in Resolve ?

Yep I know this could be done with ProRes but AI loves data and the more the better.
          Lotsa Zeon thingos with thousands of cute cores...enough is never enough

www.andrewdeme.com
          http://www.youtube.com/andrewdeme
          www.facebook.com/andrewdeme
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewdeme

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Comment

Andrew, no offense here but man as you replied to my post early on this thread as my saying to be one "Toxic Culture Continues" I'm going to own that now because this thread is going no where. As I read your replies after replies to everyone trying to understand you, you either as a genius that idealize things but can't put it into words or phrase that a layman could understand what you are really asking or stating, or just completely delirious needing some screw tightening or realignment. Until then, what JB said is what it is, and kudos to all those who'd trolled along with go intention of helping or clarifying.

Comment

What we all think cameras are today, may not be what they are in the near future...for example lightfield tech has come a long way and this is getting interesting real quick :-

http://www.invisage.com/benefits/

"Conventional digital image sensors rely on silicon to sense light linearly and therefore saturate when the number of electrons a pixel can store exceeds a fixed limit (known as a pixel’s full well capacity). Because full well is largely determined by the size of the pixel in a silicon image sensor, sensors with smaller pixels in smartphones and tablets suffer most from this lack of dynamic range. In contrast, the silver halide crystals used in photochemical film have a non-linear response to bright and low light that can preserve details in more extreme light conditions."

"Not only does the QuantumFilm sensor provide a higher FWC than a silicon sensor at any pixel size, but its photosensitive layer also has a non-linear response to light, just like film. QuantumCinema takes advantage of this non-linear response to expand the dynamic range of the sensor even further. The images below illustrate two scenes shot with three different cameras: a conventional smartphone camera with high-resolution silicon image sensor, a camera using Kodak film, and a QuantumFilm smartphone camera sensor in QuantumCinema mode."

Just in case you are looking for how this tech could be connected to cinema...this interview is a useful read as well :-

https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/46...manuel-lubezki

Like I said before...them thar is magic in dem hills...for BMD the idea of an end to end workflow could be very useful, especially if you add in Lidar and Lightfield data.
              Last edited by AndrewDeme; 10-24-2016, 02:04 PM.

www.andrewdeme.com

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                Andrew, no offense here but man as you replied to my post early on this thread as my saying to be one "Toxic Culture Continues" I'm going to own that now because this thread is going no where. As I read your replies after replies to everyone trying to understand you, you either as a genius that idealize things but can't put it into words or phrase that a layman could understand what you are really asking or stating, or just completely delirious needing some screw tightening or realignment. Until then, what JB said is what it is, and kudos to all those who'd trolled along with go intention of helping or clarifying.
                You may find this interesting, or not :-

"Groupthink" - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Groupthink requires individuals to avoid raising controversial issues or alternative solutions, and there is loss of individual creativity, uniqueness and independent thinking. The dysfunctional group dynamics of the "ingroup" produces an "illusion of invulnerability" (an inflated certainty that the right decision has been made). Thus the "ingroup" significantly overrates its own abilities in decision-making and significantly underrates the abilities of its opponents (the "outgroup"). Furthermore, groupthink can produce dehumanizing actions against the "outgroup".

www.andrewdeme.com

Comment

Working...
                X