Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have this 1K LED light?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by EYu View Post
    Might go for the Andoer too.
    EYu, it's risky. I tested the Andoer with CTB a few days ago and it induced a fugly green cast, similar to panels circa 2010. Minus Green made things worse. I can't get this thing to match with the Axrtecs, so I would imagine you'll have a bitch of time matching it to other LEDs with correct temp and color rendition, like your Dracast 500.

    If you're shooting RAW and using just Andoers, a little color correction can work as Aaron demonstrated, but a light isn't worth a damn if it can't match other sources while you're shooting on location. Especially true if you're shooting with a baked-in codec, as you may already know. This Andoer has been demoted for special effects lighting, and nothing more.

    Just my couple of pennies.

    Comment


    • What kind of softboxes have you guys been using with the AXRTECs? About to order the DFuse to try out.
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...universal.html

      Anything better? Eggcrate option?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by stevesherrick View Post
        What kind of softboxes have you guys been using with the AXRTECs? About to order the DFuse to try out.
        https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...universal.html

        Anything better? Eggcrate option?
        There really are no great options for LED panels, that's the one big aspect of panels I really don't like.

        That D-Fuse is as good as anything - not very.

        I just use full size diffusion sheets and flags with mine.

        No more LED panels for me.
        Last edited by DPStewart; 04-30-2017, 11:44 PM.
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

        Comment


        • I bought the D-fuse soft box and it was fine for the price, but you cannot angle the LED panel down, it is either up or straight forward, unless you put the panel on a c-stand with a flag arm.
          I am thinking to replace it with a F&V KS-1 Soft Box that comes with a grid option.
          Haavard Helle

          Comment


          • Originally posted by haavard View Post
            I bought the D-fuse soft box and it was fine for the price, but you cannot angle the LED panel down, it is either up or straight forward, unless you put the panel on a c-stand with a flag arm.
            I am thinking to replace it with a F&V KS-1 Soft Box that comes with a grid option.
            What about with Matthews Magic Finger?

            Comment


            • I bought the DFuse and the grid that goes with it. Going to test with some of my other grip gear. I think if I can't angle it correctly, I'll also pick up the Matthews Magic Finger. I'll try to let you guys know how it goes, including some shots with the softbox, with grid, with the diffusion that comes with it, etc.

              Also bought the Luxi attachment to use with Cinemeter II. We'll see how accurate it is. I want to do another round of color tests with the LEDs. This time on skin tones.

              Comment


              • The big problem is that these mini-softboxes simply arent very soft due to their small size.

                Sure, it's still a useful tool, but you'd still need other diffusion to actually get the light "soft".
                Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

                Comment


                • I'm assuming that you can't deal with another stand with a reflector holder? Or, is the spill the problem?

                  Asking because you are going to pay $80 for a finger (Hell, I can get you a toe by 2 o' clock) and then put a $30 softbox on it that won't actually make the source all that soft. If possible, throw up a cheap diffuser from a 5-in-1 and adjust the distances so that the entire circle is well lit by the panel, and then walk that entire combo in until it's just out of frame.

                  Of course there are lots of situations where that's just not practical, so I don't mean to discount the original inquiry about a softbox, but I generally agree with Dane and others, a panel with a softbox that barely extends the size is just lightly diffusing the light, but not really creating that soft of a source. If you have enough punch, use diffusion that is a bit bigger. Are we talking about the Axrtec still? I've done it with that unit, but prefer to do it with an LS1s. Both will work though and be much more flattering as a soft source than a D-fuse.

                  BTW, I own the D-fuse as well. I mostly use it for taking the harsh out of hairlights and for ultra portable run-n-gun interviews with a 672s by aputure. Rarely for a key.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by _OZ View Post
                    I'm assuming that you can't deal with another stand with a reflector holder? Or, is the spill the problem?

                    Asking because you are going to pay $80 for a finger (Hell, I can get you a toe by 2 o' clock) and then put a $30 softbox on it that won't actually make the source all that soft. If possible, throw up a cheap diffuser from a 5-in-1 and adjust the distances so that the entire circle is well lit by the panel, and then walk that entire combo in until it's just out of frame.

                    Of course there are lots of situations where that's just not practical, so I don't mean to discount the original inquiry about a softbox, but I generally agree with Dane and others, a panel with a softbox that barely extends the size is just lightly diffusing the light, but not really creating that soft of a source. If you have enough punch, use diffusion that is a bit bigger. Are we talking about the Axrtec still? I've done it with that unit, but prefer to do it with an LS1s. Both will work though and be much more flattering as a soft source than a D-fuse.

                    BTW, I own the D-fuse as well. I mostly use it for taking the harsh out of hairlights and for ultra portable run-n-gun interviews with a 672s by aputure. Rarely for a key.
                    I do have other diffusion yes. From the 5-1 silk to custom frames with various diffusion material and a selection of bounce material as well for creating book lights, etc. What I was hoping for here was something that could be used in a very quick setup that would work a little better than the diffusion panel that comes with it, maybe get a touch more focused with the grid. Certainly won't be my primary key. But in a pinch, hoping it does the trick, even if I have to combine it with some other quick tricks. It may completely suck but that's why I wanted to get it to test. If it's useless I'll probably return it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by stevesherrick View Post
                      I do have other diffusion yes. From the 5-1 silk to custom frames with various diffusion material and a selection of bounce material as well for creating book lights, etc. What I was hoping for here was something that could be used in a very quick setup that would work a little better than the diffusion panel that comes with it, maybe get a touch more focused with the grid. Certainly won't be my primary key. But in a pinch, hoping it does the trick, even if I have to combine it with some other quick tricks. It may completely suck but that's why I wanted to get it to test. If it's useless I'll probably return it.
                      I definitely think it's worth it for that kind of purpose. When you need a very quick solution and a very portable one, it is definitely better than the panel that comes with it alone.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X