Rigging a BMMCC like an old Bolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trispembo View Post
    Or something like this, with a Russian 16mm grip and shoulder brace?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20765[/ATTACH]
    This is exactly my set up (different lenses & no cage), steady as hell & perfect for every situation. You can easily access the battery/SD card opening & if you put a quick release between the Pocket & the Krasnogorsk grip/shoulder brace, you can pop it quickly onto a tripod.
    Simple, cheap, steady & light - perfect.

Comment

Yes, this would work with the Micro camera also. I have the Edelkrone Pocket Rig, which combined with my Graflex grip, gives a similar setup, with the addition of a short 15-mm rail option, too.
      Cheers

Comment

@trispembo: is a lanc button in front of the handle? How do you hold it? Thanks.

Comment

Max, the Russian grip has a mechanical cable release button on the grip, not a LANC control, as it was a film camera grip setup. Same with my Graflex grip, but I removed the cable release, and plan to install a LANC button in its place.
          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bioskop.Inc View Post
            This is exactly my set up (different lenses & no cage), steady as hell & perfect for every situation. You can easily access the battery/SD card opening & if you put a quick release between the Pocket & the Krasnogorsk grip/shoulder brace, you can pop it quickly onto a tripod.
            Thinking about getting one for my bmpcc, how did you screw the grip into the cage? Is it a standard 1/4 " thread?

Comment

You can find the Russian grips in EBay, and useually a description of the screw mount. If I remember correctly when I was looking at it, it is either 1/4-inch or 3/8ths.
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                Thanks. No, you are seeing the top of the Wooden Micro Camera cage. The Zacuto EVF Cheese plate is nice, and would be another mounting option. The Zacuto EVF is attached to a EVF arm on the side of the WC cage which allows it to ride on the top of the cage. The arm screws directly into the EVF, and attaches to the cage with a cold shoe. The EVF arm is a Xtender 200 Series Live-at-5 Shoe Mount Arm Kit, from B&H.
                Cheers
                https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._at_5_kit.html

I found the Xtender arm on B&H. I am having a hard time visualizing how they are connected. Do you by any chance have a picture of your rig where the arm is more extended?

I've been shooting handheld with a 5" monitor on top. I find my self constantly burning my hand from the exhaust fan and unable to keep things steady without a third contact point. I feel as thought I will need a EVF unless I go monopod/tripod route.

Comment

Originally posted by Bioskop.Inc View Post
                  I use a quick release plate between the handle and SmallRig cage. This comes off and goes on a slider rig, but could easily go onto a tripod head too.

The LANC controller is the simple Lanparte version. I had to file down the front of the handle (bakelight) and drilled a hole for the rear thread mount. The handle is hollow, so I inserted a screw to attach to the controller/switch from behind it. Then made a simple LANC extension cable from the controller/switch to a female/panel connector mount install on the side of the handle (opposite side to the picture). So I use a standard LANC cable from the camera and connect it to the side of the handle. It's great having the stop/start switch right where your trigger finger is.

I think this rig without the shoulder brace is much harder to use. It's really difficult to hold you hand/wrist in that position for long periods without fatigue. This way you have three points of contact - hand, shoulder and face.

Comment

Thanks, I missed that you put a LANC start/stop switch in the grip. This is similar to what instant to do with the Graflex grip.
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X