Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody try these very cheap 128 Cfast cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody try these very cheap 128 Cfast cards?

I just picked an Ursa Mini 4K and am rounding out my kit. I have a couple CFast cards, but ran across this 128gb card on Ebay and was wondering if anybody had an experience with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152120196398...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Scott

Well it is not in BMD recommended list but you're welcome to try it out and let us know how goes.

Comment

Don't skimp on media. It's the one thing that can severely ruin your reputation if you are doing paid work. Client will not have any sympathy if you drop frames, lose footage, etc. Go with what's recommended and buy from reputable places. Even Amazon has had some issues with fake cards, so you have to be very careful. Buy once, cry once. With media it's the only way. If it's just experimental filming then by all means try it out and if it works you save some money.

Comment

What Steve said.

Or rent - CFast cards are dirt cheap in rental
        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks folks for the input. I agree. Was just curious if anybody had used them. I'll be sticking with my Lexar cards.

I am exploring making my own SSD drive system. We'll see how that Frankenstein project goes.

Scott

Comment

If no one is going to try we'll never find out if these are any good. They could be coming from the same plant that is making Lexar or Sandisk cards and just have a different label on them. Just because it's a Chinese knockoff it doesn't automatically mean it's shit.
            I agree for paid work I wouldn't risk it with cheaper cards, but for personal projects there's nothing wrong with giving something like this a try. Especially if it's just for Prores and not RAW.
            Vimeo profile
            VFX Showreel
            IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
              If no one is going to try we'll never find out if these are any good. They could be coming from the same plant that is making Lexar or Sandisk cards and just have a different label on them. Just because it's a Chinese knockoff it doesn't automatically mean it's shit.
              I agree for paid work I wouldn't risk it with cheaper cards, but for personal projects there's nothing wrong with giving something like this a try. Especially if it's just for Prores and not RAW.
              Can you do it for the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Spears View Post

I am exploring making my own SSD drive system. We'll see how that Frankenstein project goes.

Scott
                http://rengineering.website/

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...but-overpriced

Comment

I stumbled across this guy who built his own SSD to Cfast system for around $100. I plan on trying to build one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMO_2-Q62ZA

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                    Can you do it for the team?
                    I might just do it, but I'm still waiting for the magenta cast issues to be resolved before I buy my URSA mini.
                    Vimeo profile
                    VFX Showreel
                    IMDB

Comment

I get the points about the media being expensive but for once we have a camera that can do it all "in the box" and yet we make adaptors to record externally! I don't even think it's cheaper then an external recorder like the 5" video assist that can record on SD cards! Of course limited to prores but still.... it's only my point of view

Comment

Last week I purchased a sample of 256GB CFast card directly from a particular Chinese semiconductor factory (different than the before mentioned) for the price of $79 USD + shipping. It seems that this particular model has been released just recently (March?) and is some sort of OEM version. Specs on the paper were ok.

When the card arrived – aesthetically it looked a bit “industrial” and was labelled as SSD, not CFast.

Surprisingly, during the initial testing its performance was very good – write speed is comparable with my Lexar 3400x cards (128GB). I can record RAW 3:1 at 60fps without dropped frames, same story with all 4K ProRes variants. The card starts dropping frames in 4K RAW in 60fps – haven’t tested dual mode.

I kept recording till the card was full for a few times and again no glitches so far. I ordered another two cards to test whether their performance is consistent (should receive them next week).
                        I will keep testing this card for another week and if the other cards I ordered will have the same performance I’ll share my findings then. I didn’t have a chance yet to see how it performs in various temperatures. For now I’ll definitely not use it on any paid gigs but I believe that eventually it might make a really good alternative for many on the budget.

I’ll bring the updates soon!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanM View Post
                          Last week I purchased a sample of 256GB CFast card directly from a particular Chinese semiconductor factory (different than the before mentioned) for the price of $79 USD + shipping. It seems that this particular model has been released just recently (March?) and is some sort of OEM version. Specs on the paper were ok.

When the card arrived – aesthetically it looked a bit “industrial” and was labelled as SSD, not CFast.

Surprisingly, during the initial testing its performance was very good – write speed is comparable with my Lexar 3400x cards (128GB). I can record RAW 3:1 at 60fps without dropped frames, same story with all 4K ProRes variants. The card starts dropping frames in 4K RAW in 60fps – haven’t tested dual mode.

I kept recording till the card was full for a few times and again no glitches so far. I ordered another two cards to test whether their performance is consistent (should receive them next week).
                          I will keep testing this card for another week and if the other cards I ordered will have the same performance I’ll share my findings then. I didn’t have a chance yet to see how it performs in various temperatures. For now I’ll definitely not use it on any paid gigs but I believe that eventually it might make a really good alternative for many on the budget.

Cheers
                          Sounds great! Keep us posted!
                          Vimeo profile
                          VFX Showreel
                          IMDB

Comment

Cheers
                            agreed
                            www.lightformfilm.com
                            https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Cheers
                              Can you provide a link to your purchase please?

Comment

Working...
                              X