Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody try these very cheap 128 Cfast cards?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by UrbanM View Post
    Last week I purchased a sample of 256GB CFast card directly from a particular Chinese semiconductor factory (different than the before mentioned) for the price of $79 USD + shipping. It seems that this particular model has been released just recently (March?) and is some sort of OEM version. Specs on the paper were ok.

    When the card arrived – aesthetically it looked a bit “industrial” and was labelled as SSD, not CFast.

    Surprisingly, during the initial testing its performance was very good – write speed is comparable with my Lexar 3400x cards (128GB). I can record RAW 3:1 at 60fps without dropped frames, same story with all 4K ProRes variants. The card starts dropping frames in 4K RAW in 60fps – haven’t tested dual mode.

    I kept recording till the card was full for a few times and again no glitches so far. I ordered another two cards to test whether their performance is consistent (should receive them next week).
    I will keep testing this card for another week and if the other cards I ordered will have the same performance I’ll share my findings then. I didn’t have a chance yet to see how it performs in various temperatures. For now I’ll definitely not use it on any paid gigs but I believe that eventually it might make a really good alternative for many on the budget.

    I’ll bring the updates soon!

    Cheers
    Please do and provide us with the link where you purchased it. At $79 for a 256Gb CFast, It be worthwhile to get a couple or so for experimenting and personal use... only if it works as per your testing.

    Comment


    • #17
      Hi, apologies for the late reply!
      I purchased those cards via Alibaba.com: http://biwinssd.en.alibaba.com/ - I was dealing with Branden.
      The first card is still performing flawlessly but like I said earlier - I only have chance to subject it to a "limited" testing after hours.
      The other two should arrive on Monday/Tuesday so I will know then whether their performance/built quality is consistent.
      Of course I’m unable to tell how those cards will behave in a long run even though data sheet promises “many advanced technologies” including “dynamic bad block management, dynamic and static wear – levelling and error correction code (ECC)” etc.
      Very reassuring
      Also, according to the sales rep they are currently working on a faster CFast cards with even higher capacities (512GB??). Time will tell how accurate that information is but it would be quite interesting as long as they are reliable.

      Cheers

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by UrbanM View Post
        Hi, apologies for the late reply!
        I purchased those cards via Alibaba.com: http://biwinssd.en.alibaba.com/ - I was dealing with Branden.
        The first card is still performing flawlessly but like I said earlier - I only have chance to subject it to a "limited" testing after hours.
        The other two should arrive on Monday/Tuesday so I will know then whether their performance/built quality is consistent.
        Of course I’m unable to tell how those cards will behave in a long run even though data sheet promises “many advanced technologies” including “dynamic bad block management, dynamic and static wear – levelling and error correction code (ECC)” etc.
        Very reassuring
        Also, according to the sales rep they are currently working on a faster CFast cards with even higher capacities (512GB??). Time will tell how accurate that information is but it would be quite interesting as long as they are reliable.

        Cheers
        Is the what you are referring to?

        http://biwinssd.en.alibaba.com/produ...al_device.html

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by EYu View Post
          I hope not. Those speeds aren't even close to what's needed. Yikes.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by vicharris View Post
            I hope not. Those speeds aren't even close to what's needed. Yikes.
            Agree. I was looking around the link provided by UrbanM and this was the only 256Gb.

            @UrbanM - if you have the exact link to the page of the card you purchased and will share, that will be super. The link you gave just brought me to their home page.

            Comment


            • #21
              No, I was referring to this one:
              http://biwinssd.en.alibaba.com/produ...836.185.mOJj6S
              It clearly says Read:511MB/s Write: 288MB/s but since it's ATTO I suppose the write speed might vary.
              If you're not sure just ask the seller for detailed data sheet and you will have everything in front of your eyes.
              If you're still in doubt just don't buy it.
              The first card I got was labelled as model F6308. The next two that are coming are F6208 but according to the salesperson they are all the same. I'll find out next week.

              Originally posted by vicharris View Post
              I hope not. Those speeds aren't even close to what's needed. Yikes.
              I agree

              Comment


              • #22
                That's more like it. Thanks UrbanM.
                Only thing is somehow my eyes are being deceived. It's a $1 a piece FOB (freight on board). So shipping it must cost $78 .

                Comment


                • #23
                  A small update here for anyone who is possibly still interested.
                  Today I received another two 256GB CFast cards from the same Chinese supplier.
                  Despite being labelled F6208 on the package, they turned out to be exactly the same model as the one I ordered originally - F6308.
                  I tested their recording speeds (on Ursa Mini 4K) and the results were satisfying and consistent with the previous observations – all versions of 4K ProRes worked great at max fps except 444XQ which gave up at 40fps after 23 seconds. RAW 60fps in dual mode worked fine. I haven't observed any glitches or anomalies in the footage.
                  Understanding the risks involved, I used the first card during a shoot over the weekend and it performed well.
                  In conclusion, my initial impression is good especially given the price.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by UrbanM View Post
                    A small update here for anyone who is possibly still interested.
                    Today I received another two 256GB CFast cards from the same Chinese supplier.
                    Despite being labelled F6208 on the package, they turned out to be exactly the same model as the one I ordered originally - F6308.
                    I tested their recording speeds (on Ursa Mini 4K) and the results were satisfying and consistent with the previous observations – all versions of 4K ProRes worked great at max fps except 444XQ which gave up at 40fps after 23 seconds. RAW 60fps in dual mode worked fine. I haven't observed any glitches or anomalies in the footage.
                    Understanding the risks involved, I used the first card during a shoot over the weekend and it performed well.
                    In conclusion, my initial impression is good especially given the price.
                    Hey Michal,

                    I am trying to order some on Ali Baba - it is my first time using this site. The seller says to paypal him but the page seems to say citibank. Did you paypal him? How do you go about paying? I don't want to tell him this is first time using AliBaba.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Hey Psanky,
                      Technically PayPal is not available as secure payment method on alibaba.
                      I assumed that I should be covered by PayPal's buyers protection anyway (not sure if correctly) so I went with it and luckily had no issues.
                      It took 5 days for the cards to be sent from the factory as they seem to be made to order.
                      Cheers

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by UrbanM View Post
                        Hey Psanky,
                        Technically PayPal is not available as secure payment method on alibaba.
                        I assumed that I should be covered by PayPal's buyers protection anyway (not sure if correctly) so I went with it and luckily had no issues.
                        It took 5 days for the cards to be sent from the factory as they seem to be made to order.
                        Cheers
                        Thanks! Did you check they are definitely 256gb capacity? (by filling them up)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          By filling them up? Oh yes! Naturally - I used full fat milk and filled them to the brim. They only leaked a little.

                          Dude, go to the previous page and read my post in relation to this card. “I kept recording till the card was full for a few times “ .
                          I was quite clear from the start that I did, in fact conduct a several tests.
                          If I didn’t test them I certainly wouldn’t post anything here.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Sorry! It's a long time since I read the start of this thread. Just wanted to make a final check before I paypal the guy. Alibaba doesn't inspire confidence haha!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Okay I am a bit confused with their pricing:

                              Http://biwinssd.en.alibaba.com/produ...36.185.mOJj6S:

                              The website says it is $.01 - 1.00 a piece. When I asked for the latest pricing it was $10 - 15 a piece. That's 15x jump in price. Still cheap but how do trust this kind of transaction? Also did UrbanM said he got the same for $78 or something to that tune? Was that for 1 piece, 2-3 pieces? Hmmm....
                              Last edited by EYu; 06-30-2016, 11:43 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                This site is fine, stop the panic.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X