Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody try these very cheap 128 Cfast cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sent you a PM, you can return them for a replacement no problem. Sorry for the inconvenience on set, that's not the best place for them to not work as expected. I guess maybe the environment was very hot with the lighting on and without the fan. You can test the new cards and see how they hold up, but I suggest maybe have some way to ventilate the camera, just in case. Thanks
    Lee Miller
    Sales Manager
    BiWin Storage Technology Limited - www.biwin.co.uk [lee@biwin.co.uk]
    - CFast 2.0 cards and CF/SD/SDXC/SDHC carry cases.
    - www.facebook.com/biwinuk

Comment

• Originally posted by EYu View Post
      Hey Frank, I was a one man band that day and was out taking some beach scene with a couple of friends as the actors. I set the shot, roll the camera, called action and was directing the acting and operating the camera. It was all for personal use so it's typical that after I set the shot and cam is rolling I would not necessarily be just operating the camera and watching the monitor... Most as fixed shots. I did notice the last of the 4 cards having dropped frames and that was when I switched to the SanDisk. Time was running out. I really noticed it when I transferred the clips from the cards over to the computer and in the media pool in Resolve. By then it was too late. So there you go. Agree with you that if I had the opportunity to check on set, I would have changed the card and quarantined it. They're now quarantined.
      Ah, okay - I understand.

I always have the camera set up, that it stops recording if a frame is dropped, so I can redo the take, while at it.
      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Hi Frank, it's a good tip. Hopefully the new cards won't fail but I'm always here for any support.

Best wishes with your shooting.
        Lee Miller
        Sales Manager

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
          Ah, okay - I understand.

I always have the camera set up, that it stops recording if a frame is dropped, so I can redo the take, while at it.
          Frank, not sure what you meant by setting up the camera to stop recording if a frame is dropped. Are you saying there is a way to configure the URSA to auto detect for frame drop and stop recording? I have never heard of such thing. If you meant manually watching the monitor and if a frame has drop to stop recording, I do that when I have a camera operator or am the camera operator. As I have said, that day shot was a one man band and I was not monitoring all the time. I am certain other cinematographers have encountered multitasking in a 1 man op or small crew sometime in their life where they would just let the camera roll. Now if there is a way to set the camera to auto detect, I am all ears.

EDIT: After giving some thought to my reply, drop frames are unacceptable and therefore use only certified cards for production projects. That way this kind of issues does not creep up.
          Last edited by EYu; 10-09-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• I got your PM and replied, thanks EYu.

I know that customer service is generally not so good in China which is why I try so hard; to outshine everyone else. I can definitely get the cards replaced for you when you have time. DHL should be about $25 because this is how much I pay to ship to USA. They will be sent out almost immediately after you have sent the old ones back. BMD is currently testing the cards and say they are good so far. It's taking a while to finish testing because there is one thing that we are attempting to perfect with them. This takes a while but it will be done eventually.

I work independently from the office in China but I do work very closely with them (1.5 years so far) and have a lot of persuasion over there - this is how I can get returns organised so quickly. I offer a different kind of service which includes much better customer service in native English, the ability to return cards (Normally Biwin can't accept cards back unless they are faulty), I give out free samples to reviewers, and a lot of other things which wouldn't usually be found anywhere else.

I always push for Biwin to get better and better and they listen. Things will improve for sure, and when the new faster 256GB cards and the 512GB ones come out, I will be very excited and offer my full support to you guys as usual.

Stick with me everyone, I love my job and have some personal experience in this industry as an actor, music composer, and TV presenter in China. (photos available if you wanna see :P ).

Thanks and good luck with your projects.

Lee Miller
            Sales Manager at www.biwin.co.uk
            Last edited by Lee Miller; 10-19-2016, 04:34 AM. Reason: mistake
            Lee Miller
            Sales Manager

Comment

Frank, not sure what you meant by setting up the camera to stop recording if a frame is dropped. Are you saying there is a way to configure the URSA to auto detect for frame drop and stop recording? I have never heard of such thing.
              Haha - why is nobody reading the manual anymore these days

Yes there is a switch in the menu - third record tab.

No offense, but if you get a new firmware, is it too much to ask, to go trough it, and look at all the possible settings at least once?

Originally posted by EYu View Post

EDIT: After giving some thought to my reply, drop frames are unacceptable and therefore use only certified cards for production projects. That way this kind of issues does not creep up.
              If it would be THAT easy. I saw frames dropping on two certified Lexar cards. Returned them and the new cards work fine till now.

Here is the reason, why even certified cards can have problems sometimes:

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com...ames-like-mad/
              Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Frank, you're awesome. Remind me to visit you in Germany the next time I'm back in Europe
                Lee Miller
                Sales Manager

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                  Haha - why is nobody reading the manual anymore these days

Yes there is a switch in the menu - third record tab.

No offense, but if you get a new firmware, is it too much to ask, to go trough it, and look at all the possible settings at least once?

If it would be THAT easy. I saw frames dropping on two certified Lexar cards. Returned them and the new cards work fine till now.

Here is the reason, why even certified cards can have problems sometimes:

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com...ames-like-mad/
                  There is miscommunication here. "Stop rec if card drops frame" is only available in the new OS 4.0 for Ursa Mini. EYu has Ursa (major) which does not support the new OS.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUEGO View Post
                    There is miscommunication here. "Stop rec if card drops frame" is only available in the new OS 4.0 for Ursa Mini. EYu has Ursa (major) which does not support the new OS.
                    Thanks Fuego. Appreciate you pointing that out.

@Frank, no OS 4.0 yet for the URSA Major so I have not read that firmware's document. However I RTFM of the camera I own or use and know its operating features well enough.

I think Lee is doing a great effort to provide support for the Biwin products and I appreciate what he is attempting to do. I think that if you get a Biwin card to probably best order it through him. I think the Biwin cards need more QA to reduce the possibility of issues and there may be batches that are subpar that could cause drop frames. But if Customer Service is provided with fast turnaround RMA, then I think it is worth pursuing them as they are cheaper that the name brands. One other thing that Biwin should consider is having CS and replacement center in major countries so it is more accessible (like Lee in UK and someone in the USA too). That way it does not have to ship all the way to China and back for replacements. That's my opinion.
                    Last edited by EYu; 10-10-2016, 05:43 AM.

Comment

One other thing that Biwin should consider is having CS and replacement center in major countries so it is more accessible.
                      That would be cool if they get to that point. I think things are still early for BiWin in this game, but if they play their cards right (no pun intended!), they could really capture this market. Their main selling point is cost competitiveness, so it will be a tricky act to balance if adding support centers makes the product more expensive. I'm rooting for them regardless.

Comment

• Thanks for your kind words. I do my best to assist you guys with your projects. I am always in contact with the office in China and am always on their back with my virtual whip to improve. We're playing our cards right, haha. With good intentions and customer satisfaction, I see that we are going to do great things. Like I say, I've had experience in the movie industry in China, so this is more to me than just sales and support. Who knows, maybe one day I can join you on set
                        Lee Miller
                        Sales Manager

Comment

• Just thought I'd add I have 4 Biwin 128GB cards. Used them all for varying shoots this weekend. Some shots was doing 24P 3:1 RAW. Others 4k DCI, or windowed 1980 proress 444. Using the 4.0 on my ursa mink 4.6k and had no dropped frames after turning stop recording o0ndrop frames option on. Cards are warmest when removing from the computer. I haven't noticed any temperature issue whiles recording. When dumping from my Lexar Reader they sustained 220 for DNG file transfers, and 415 for ProRes, which seems the limited capabilities of my G-Tech drive. Over all I am so far pleased.

Comment

• Hi thefluentone, that sounds great. They do get a little warm, that's true.
                            The office told me yesterday about the faster 256GB cards they're working on; the speed they are aiming for is pretty high - I hope they can achieve it or approach it. Be prepared for some game-changing cards hopefully this year. That's the forecast, but I'll prepare for a later deadline, just in case.
                            Lee Miller
                            Sales Manager

Comment

• Hey Lee, finally got around to packing the defective cfast cards and will be sending it to Jacky for replacements. I will email you the tracking info when it ships. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Okay thanks EYu. I'll tell Jacky to expect them from you. Please write all your details on paper like your name and address, order number, camera setup and fault details. Thanks
                                Lee Miller
                                Sales Manager

Comment

Working...
                                X