Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URSA Mini 4k XLR cable 100% stuck..

Good morning world.

So yesterday I took receipt of my own URSA mini 4k.. (bought 2nd hand). The camera is immaculate the footage from todays test shots looks superb.

I decided to test the audio inputs and plugged in an XLR cable. The audio worked fine.

Now I simply cannot remove the cable. I'd read reviews before that it can be tight to remove.. and one mention of how early 4k models had real problems.

This one really just won't come out.. the buttons on the Ursa simply don't look like they're designed to push the clasp far enough to let the connecting plug come out.

Any top tips?... there are two alan key screws either side of the plug on the URSA.. would undoing these help in any way (I'd rather not have to start unscrewing the newly purchased camera).

The XLR inputs were one of the reasons to buy the camera as they'd be useful for run 'n' gun work.. . So even if I manage to get the XLR out this time somehow I'd like to not have to worry about using them in the future.

Questions:

- Any ideas how to get the cable out?

- If I've bought the camera 2nd hand (via Bmcuser Seller Page) where would I stand on the warranty? (I've contacted the seller to see what they think as well, perhaps with the original receipt, or just the serial number Blackmagic will help).

Apart form this, I'm very happy with this awesome camera.

Thanks

Jon
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

The warranty follows the camera as long as you are within the warranty period. I've asked BMD that very question.

Comment

I will give you my best advice, which probably isn't very good as I don't even have an USRA Mini. XLR cables sometimes get stuck in my Tascam recorder and I've found that the best technique for getting them out is not pulling the cable while pressing the lock button. Instead you press the cable inwards and jerk it back and fourth some. That I think helps the locking pins retract sufficiently.
      Ola Harström
      vimeo.com/olis

Comment

On another XLR topic, I just put a mini XLR into my Video Assist - where it promptly stuck. I was like 'Oh no its the Ursa mini situation'!

Full and Mini - where are they sourcing their XLR connectors for these units?
        director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
          On another XLR topic, I just put a mini XLR into my Video Assist - where it promptly stuck. I was like 'Oh no its the Ursa mini situation'!

Full and Mini - where are they sourcing their XLR connectors for these units?
          glue factories
          Blackmagic Design User Group UK

Comment

Hmmm still stuck... two us trying... despite a wide array of allan keys don't seem to have the right one to try that route either.
            www.stormystudio.com

Comment

Try pressing the button and pushing the cable toward the battery with light pressure as you pull up. I had to do that with mine at first, but it's fine now.
              Chris Tempel
              youtube.com/ElDirectorVision

Comment

Thanks tried that as saw similar advice on line... unfortunately no luck.

I've now unscrew the XLR cable itself so its just the XLR metal plug that's stuck... and it's stuck well.. has slight wiggle room but I can only assume the pin sticking into from the camera just doesn't go in enough to let it go... tried a lot of force on it now... tried a light touch... wiggling back n forth... side to side.. rotating... but nothing...

The seller got back in touch and said it was fine with their Sennheiser XLR cables... I really shouldn't skimp on anything it seems... cheap-ish amazon bought XLR cable mixed with the Blackmagic exacting standards.
                www.stormystudio.com

Comment

Here's a solution from another thread:
                  https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=44705

"I apply a very light pressure to the XLR cable in the direction of the battery when I press the XLR release and it comes out just fine without sticking."

Comment

HUZZAH!!!

Successfully got the little blighter out...

- With the XLR cable removed having unscrewed and pulled the cable out it left the metal plug surround firmly stuck in the camera.
                    - I then used a safety pin and pushed down on the inside of the metal part of the plug, down to where the cameras clasp was holding on... Pin went down and voila out came the plug.

I've since thrown the XLR in the bin as with the amount of bending and tugging it had endured I wouldn't trust it to be that great anymore.

Annoyingly the push button release on the Ursa Mini 4k is now broken and has no spring in it any more... day 1 of using the camera going 'brilliantly' so far :-)

Ok.. so with that out the way.

Can anyone recommend a short XLR cable and brand... for using a mic ontop of the camera.

Plus recommend a 3m XLR cable and brand.

(My old one was Stag).
                    www.stormystudio.com

Comment

Some guys replaced the original sockets with Neutrik sockets.
                      Personally I don't have a problem with mine, but that's what I would do.

Also whenever I buy anything XLR, Neutrik is my go-to brand.
                      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Frank beat me to it. +1 Neutrik.

When you get a minute I'd see if BM won't fix it for you. It's a known issue and is more of a recall than warranty situation.

Comment

Damn, yeah Frank beat us all too it. I have a cheap XLR still stuck in my backup DR40.

Comment

Working...
                          X