THE LOOK TEST // URSA MINI 4.6K, RED SCARLET MX and BMPC4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE LOOK TEST // URSA MINI 4.6K, RED SCARLET MX and BMPC4K

DISCLAIMER: This is not a scientific test, neither is it a test to see which camera is better or how similar all the cameras can look. The test is purely to see how each camera looks in the same scene and lighting conditions.

https://vimeo.com/166738913

Quick thoughts:
    1. Scarlet MX: When compared to the other cameras, it's got a flattering softness to the image. Footage was somewhat noisy. I shot this at ISO 800. Ideally should have rated the camera at 640 for the scene. Had to denoise the image to get something pleasant.
    2. BMPC4K: I really like the camera's colour science, shame about the native ISO and the DR. If you have a tonne of lights which this sensor craves, you can get some really good images from it. Seems the BMPC4K can be easily intercut with the RED Scarlet footage.
    3. URSA MINI 4.6K: The latitude of the image is pretty incredible. You can pull the image in all sorts of ways till you get frustrated because you can take this image anywhere you want to. While that seems like a blessing, it currently feels like a curse because I'm still trying to imprint a look on the image. Still don't know what the look of this camera is. I've seen all kinds of footage on the net from this same sensor.

Lens: Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2
    Filteration: Schneider Optics Hollywood Blackmagic 1/2, Tiffen Black Promist 1/4, Hoya IR Cut, VariND.

Interesting...
    In scene 1, I totally preferred the BMPC 4k look, with the RED a close second.

In scene 2 I preferred the Mini4.6k.

My takeaway? I'd shoot any of these and really not care too much at all which one.

As we've predicted before - camera tech is about reaching that point where they're ALL fantastic.

Which is great...now I can go bankrupt myself on GLASS like I always wanted to anyway.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I think in the first scene you may have confused the two blackmagic cameras for eachother?

Comment

Originally posted by nyccomposer View Post
        I think in the first scene you may have confused the two blackmagic cameras for eachother?
        I dunno, Olan is pretty thorough.

Also, I spotted camera C as the Mini4.6k right away. The higher contrast of the BMPC4k is significantly different to my eye.
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Comment

These videos are making me thirsty!

Comment

Olan, my take away from this is those are all beautiful images. Sometimes you just have to back away from the table and enjoy what you see.

As a photographers-cinematographers, we have to use the tool that makes life easiest... that is within reach.

Thank you for taking the time to make the comparison.

Comment

i may be wrong, but my instinct on watching scene B was that the Highlight roll off seemed softer and nicer on Camera A and there looked to be a bunch of noise in the shadows on camera B.

Comment

I looked again, in different lighting, and now I see it differently. Great images, the lighting and the diffusion filters are right on time. Thanks.

Comment

I like the look of all three images. Each camera has their pros and cons, but you can achieve great image quality with pretty much all camera options nowadays. Depends on which camera suits your budget and needs the best.
                  Darren Hartman
                  Asyn Film | Banana Stand Media

Comment

Originally posted by Pultzar2 View Post
                    These videos are making me thirsty!

Hahahahaha. I read that using Kramer's voice. Then I used George's voice when he screamed it.

"THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!"
                    Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Cook View Post
                      Hahahahaha. I read that using Kramer's voice. Then I used George's voice when he screamed it.

"THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!"
                      I'm glad somebody got the reference!

Comment

The real reason for the test is a friend of mine recent bought a Scarlet MX and he's like whenever you need it, it's here. So I wanted to see what each camera would bring to the table. Tbh, I found it difficult to work with the Scarlet image (I'm not a colourist) but I liked the look out of the camera even though the DR was nothing compared to the UM46K. I felt I had more control of the UM46K image, the detail was there, the roll off was smooth and lots of colour information.

Comment

Both the Ursa cameras look more video-ish to me. The motion is the biggest issue, Scarlet's motion is solid, while the Ursa cameras are interlace-y. The Scarlet also has softer detail & colors, making for creamy skin tone. The Ursa cameras seem more harsh, making her skin appear more shiny & oily.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
                            Both the Ursa cameras look more video-ish to me. The motion is the biggest issue, Scarlet's motion is solid, while the Ursa cameras are interlace-y. The Scarlet also has softer detail & colors, making for creamy skin tone. The Ursa cameras seem more harsh, making her skin appear more shiny & oily.
                            A lot of that just comes down to the RED being a softer image. It is extremely difficult to judge motion when it's streaming from the web too....
                            The less shine on her face comes in great part from the softer image, but also from RED's really great highlight roll-off characteristics - that's one of the factors that has made their image so darn successful.

Comment

Did he tell which was which? I assumed that the 1-3 bullet points were just to talk about each camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X