Has anyone RMA'd magenta corner 4.6k and got replacement without issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xbourque View Post
    FYI, when the original Sony A7 (not A7s) came out some wide angle rangefinder lenses had similar magenta vignetting.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/0...even-norquist/

So this issue is not new, but I dont think it affected as many lenses on the A7 as what is being reported in this thread.

--X
    So this is 3rd party lenses, not designed for the body or chip. Organic optics paired with super high dynamic range clinical chips.
    Is there any chance that the dynamic range of chip is out-performing the lenses, in the same way as 4K resolution can show up some older optics too as just not being able to resolve the res of the chip?
    ---

T h e E l e c t r i c P i g L t d .
    ~ bespoke digital tailoring ~
    www.electricpig.net

+44 7711 582849

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175330/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

Comment

• Some of you might recall not so long ago notable beta testers were saying the Mini 4.6k straight out of the camera footage require only minimal post work with just a simple default lut can be good to go. I believe that is true for clean working cameras. Clearly those with magenta issues are not and require much more post work to get right.

What we have now is two types of Mini 4.6k, one has colour cast and vignette issues and another which is neutral and free of these problems, both accepted as working by the manufacturer and retail for the same price.
      Right now I believe if someone were to sell a neutral looking clean camera he could easily double the price but those with problem cameras could not even ask for half the retail price back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
        Some of you might recall not so long ago notable beta testers were saying the Mini 4.6k straight out of the camera footage require only minimal post work with just a simple default lut can be good to go. I believe that is true for clean working cameras. Clearly those with magenta issues are not and require much more post work to get right.

What we have now is two types of Mini 4.6k, one has colour cast and vignette issues and another which is neutral and free of these problems, both accepted as working by the manufacturer and retail for the same price.
        Right now I believe if someone were to sell a neutral looking clean camera he could easily double the price but those with problem cameras could not even ask for half the retail price back.
        Having cancelled two successive 4.6k pre-orders over the last six months, I feel like I dodged a bullet on this one. Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't take a "neutral looking" Ursa 4.6k for free! Who knows what else it has in store: FPN, low audio gain, purple fringing effects, touchscreen malfunction, etc. It's obviously riddled with problems and was not ready to ship. If you order one of these now, you are a masochist looking for trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kino View Post
          Having cancelled two successive 4.6k pre-orders over the last six months, I feel like I dodged a bullet on this one. Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't take a "neutral looking" Ursa 4.6k for free! Who knows what else it has in store: FPN, low audio gain, purple fringing effects, touchscreen malfunction, etc. It's obviously riddled with problems and was not ready to ship. If you order one of these now, you are a masochist looking for trouble.
          We were told the camera was ready to ship 7 months ago if it not have been trying to get global shutter to work. So 7 months of maturity and it still has issues.
          I'm lucky so far....with the exception of a few Canon lenses that does not work everything appears to function but of course only time will tell. Mine actually WB at tint level 0.00 in a open sensor test and with lenses at f22 at all focal range without vignette or magenta, light and day compare to problem cameras that BMD says acceptable. I left the camera on for 12hrs continually in consecutive days over the past week doing timelapse and it not failed on me or overheat, also very quite fan noise.

Comment

• You are very lucky indeed sir.

Mine arrived today and... magenta corners.
            Visible even on the monitor.

Fantastic camera besides that.
            I hope BMD finds a solution soon.
            Let's stay positive and constructive everyone... down at the official forum is getting pretty nasty.

Comment

• There is no solution except to replace the faulty sensors, either replacing the sensor or the camera.

Comment

• I'm afraid so...

What I'd really like is to get an official statement from BMD, I think a lot of people would appreciate that.
                I love what BMD is doing and I think most of us are willing to stay with them.

Comment

• I want to love them. I am returning my camera to my dealer, and hope the next one is a "good one" if not it's gonna get harder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                    We were told the camera was ready to ship 7 months ago if it not have been trying to get global shutter to work. So 7 months of maturity and it still has issues.
                    I'm lucky so far....with the exception of a few Canon lenses that does not work everything appears to function but of course only time will tell. Mine actually WB at tint level 0.00 in a open sensor test and with lenses at f22 at all focal range without vignette or magenta, light and day compare to problem cameras that BMD says acceptable. I left the camera on for 12hrs continually in consecutive days over the past week doing timelapse and it not failed on me or overheat, also very quite fan noise.
                    Even when there is a little bit of magenta present, I think the camera can produce stunning imagery. I'm not really sold on the highlight roll-off and some of the color oddities, but otherwise it is capable of amazing things as seen in this mind-blowing footage by Will Price:

It's a shame that a camera like this can have so many quality control problems.

Comment

• Look like another good camera without the vignette similar to mine. Clean cameras can be graded without the wierd colour effect caused by uneven colour cast.

Comment

• it has been cropped though... i'd be interested in seeing the whole frame

Edit: on further inspection... yes, that looks like a clean sensor.
                        Last edited by Bxl; 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kino View Post
                          I'm not really sold on the highlight roll-off
                          At the sensor level, highlight "rolloff" isn't really a thing. These are digital sensors, they clip. They don't roll off, but BMD have given you plenty of dynamic range to soft clip/compress the highlights in the way that you see fit.
                          Aaron Lochert

Comment

Working...
                          X