Pocket speedbooster doesn't fit on BMMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket speedbooster doesn't fit on BMMC

I have the original speedbooster for the pocket. It was a tight fit on the pocket, but won't turn at all on the micro. I didn't feel like breaking a camera I've only had for 2 hours.

Strange. Mine fits on both no problem (I have the BMPCC x0.58 Metabones Speed Booster)...
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Shasha View Post
      Strange. Mine fits on both no problem (I have the BMPCC x0.58 Metabones Speed Booster)...
      must be a tolerance issue

Comment

Make sure the adjustment screws for the back focus aren't interfering.

Comment

thanks. i looked and even tried removing a screw that wasn't flush but no luck. i will contact metabones.

Comment

My BMPCC SB fits a little tighter on the Micro Cinema than the Micro Studio, but it still goes on just fine. I like the slightly tighter fit, less lens play in the MFT mount.

Comment

Mine is a tight fit (just like on my Pocket) but it works just fine. Call Metabones and have them ship you another rear plate. When I first bought my Pocket and SB, they told me that it was a tolerance issue. Metabones tries to make the SB fit as tight as reasonable to minimize play, and if the camera was made on the thicker side of lens mount tolerance, they can run into issue. A couple of years ago, MB had a supply of "looser" mounts ready to ship in case the adapter wouldn't fit a particular camera.

Comment

Mine fits very tight on the Micro and less tight on the Pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by spinshot View Post
                  I have the original speedbooster for the pocket. It was a tight fit on the pocket, but won't turn at all on the micro. I didn't feel like breaking a camera I've only had for 2 hours.

Same on mine. It is very tight lock and it does not control the aperture on Sigma 18-35. Other then contacting metabones and asking for a new mount is there a how to adjustment?
                  THanks
                  Last edited by Radost; 03-27-2016, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I think the problem is with the Micro not the SB. My new Micro is going back due to loose aluminum inside the mount as well as a dislodged HDMI port.

BTW, I think BM totally missed it with this camera. Incredible image but tiny buttons and very hard to operate. All they had to do is put a WiFi module in it and design an iOS apps to control it and it would be perfect. Who wants to mount a ton of accessories and solder cables in order to operate this tiny camera, essentially defeating its purpose of being tiny. By the time you get it rigged out to shoot proper, you are way better off with a BMCC or URSA Mini.

Comment

If your BMPCC Spped Booster is too tight a fit on the Micro camera, contact Metabones for a new slimmer MFT mount.
                      Also, the EF version need to have the latest Metabones firmware update to work correctly (Iris control) on the Micro.
                      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Carey Lee Coffey View Post
                        I think the problem is with the Micro not the SB. My new Micro is going back due to loose aluminum inside the mount as well as a dislodged HDMI port.

BTW, I think BM totally missed it with this camera. Incredible image but tiny buttons and very hard to operate. All they had to do is put a WiFi module in it and design an iOS apps to control it and it would be perfect. Who wants to mount a ton of accessories and solder cables in order to operate this tiny camera, essentially defeating its purpose of being tiny. By the time you get it rigged out to shoot proper, you are way better off with a BMCC or URSA Mini.
                        I agree that if you wanted to use this as you would a traditional cinema camera, you need a lot of kit hooked up. But that's not why this camera exists. It's made to give you great quality in a small and simple package. It's not meant to be a complete solution, and I really don't think it's made to be an A-cam at all. Hang it from a drone, throw it on a gimbal, shove it in a corner or as a crash cam, and it will be awesome. I look at it as something like a GoPro, but with great image quality. The Micro absolutely fails as a self-contained camera, because it was meant to.

I know I've had my fair share of negative posts, but I do have some sympathy for BMD. They make the Pocket, and it's awesome. But people complain about the battery life, and the screen. So they make the Micro, which fixes both, and people complain that it doesn't have ANY screen. I think a lot of people forget that BMD still makes greta cinema cameras. The BMCC and Ursa series are meant to be self-contained camera units. If you want something that does it all, buy one of those. If you want something cheap with great image quality, buy a Pocket or Micro.

Comment

Originally posted by jtfarabee View Post
                          I agree that if you wanted to use this as you would a traditional cinema camera, you need a lot of kit hooked up. But that's not why this camera exists. It's made to give you great quality in a small and simple package. It's not meant to be a complete solution, and I really don't think it's made to be an A-cam at all. Hang it from a drone, throw it on a gimbal, shove it in a corner or as a crash cam, and it will be awesome. I look at it as something like a GoPro, but with great image quality. The Micro absolutely fails as a self-contained camera, because it was meant to.

I know I've had my fair share of negative posts, but I do have some sympathy for BMD. They make the Pocket, and it's awesome. But people complain about the battery life, and the screen. So they make the Micro, which fixes both, and people complain that it doesn't have ANY screen. I think a lot of people forget that BMD still makes greta cinema cameras. The BMCC and Ursa series are meant to be self-contained camera units. If you want something that does it all, buy one of those. If you want something cheap with great image quality, buy a Pocket or Micro.
                          The GoPro has WiFi. If the Micro had WiFi, it would be a perfect crash cam etc. As it stands, you can't keep it small and control it remotely.

Comment

When I reached out to them, their only response was:

"Thank you for your enquiry!

Sorry that we havenít tested with the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera yet."

I even asked if they had mounts I could purchase.
                            Tyler Jordan
                            http://www.theartoftylerjordan.com

Photographer - DP - Studio Manager

Comment

Interesting, previously, they sent out a different spec. mount.
                              Last edited by Denny Smith; 03-28-2016, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X