Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues w/ Anker Pro & Pocket

Morning,

I've been running my pocket camera of the Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 for the past few months, connected up via a 2.1mm to 2.5x0.7mm DC Plug Converter Adapter Cable w/ the Lanparte BMPCC DC Power Supply Cable operating as the adapter. Whilst on the whole this setup has worked, it's incredibly flimsy, to the point in which every ten minutes or so, a turn of the cable to re-connect it up with the pocket is required .. Yesterday however, half way through a shoot, no connection could be made, forcing me to run of internal battery for the remainder. Following some tests, it's definitely not the Pocket's jack, nor the Anker itself, and more than likely - judging from other customer reviews - the lanparte cable ..

Is there any other solid consistent working alternatives out there, in terms of cables?

Cheers!

This solution is working pretty well for me, I spliced together the IndiePro tools BMPCC cable and a generic 1.7 x 4.0 cable I found on Amazon which plugs into the Anker directly. Basically I just cut the Indie Pro cable before the plastic cylinder and then soldered the wires from the IndiePro to the generic 1.7 x 4.0 cable. It's very solid and you can make it any length by just cutting the Anker side of the cable to your desired size, I chose to keep mine pretty short since my rig is small. Took about 15 minutes to make and now I don't have any adapters to futz with.

If the BMPCC plug on your Lanparte cable is still working you could use that for the BMPCC side instead of the IndiePro.

Here is the Anker side of the cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Here is the BMPCC side of the cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._cable_to.html

IMG_20160301_161104531.jpg

Comment

Hmmm ..

Food for thought but would ideally prefer something that works/operates in it's original format .. I have a huge shoot commencing in the next few weeks, so really do need a reliable workable cable/adapter as soon as possible .. Purchasing a ton of internal batteries really isn't an avenue I want to even consider, nevermind explore ..

Comment

I have a DIY spliced cable too, it's been working out well.

Comment

I use the cable which came with the Anker and a plug adaptor for the BMPCC. Mine came with a cable clamp add-on for my Movcam cage, but they seem to be readily available. It turns the tiny BMPCC DC input into, I assume, the 'standard' sized socket used on laptops and possibly the BMCC too. Easier to get/make leads for this.

07-01-20161452180566303-2107-img2.jpg

The cable is a little loose and I just put a piece of electrical tape around it. I still plan to wire my own cable and managed to buy the right connectors on eBay.

Comment

I'm with ya, an off the shelf cable from the Anker to the BMPCC would definitely be the bees knees. I did a lot of research and couldn't find one, presumably due to the non-standard sizes of both the Anker and the BMPCC. However, if you take some care and join the cables properly with a good inline splice, solder, and heat shrink the connection will be as reliable as any premade cable and will outlast the plugs on either end.

The only other solutions I've come across rely on an adapter somewhere on either end. There are lots of great tutorials online for joining wires with solder and it is very easy to do.

You might be able to find a barrel adapter from either of your cables into the BMPCC or the Anker (4.0 x 1.7), that might be your next best bet so you only have one cable and one adapter.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback.

Little stuck .. Considering the splicing trick down the line at some point, but for now, just basically need a new adapter or cable to get the connection back up and running for this shoot approaching. Issue is, I can't figure if it's the adapter that's knackered, or the Lanparte cable ..

What other alternative cables/adapters are there? I've attempted looking myself but getting absolutely lost with the what the size of each cable should be and what's compatible with one another etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                I use the cable which came with the Anker and a plug adaptor for the BMPCC. Mine came with a cable clamp add-on for my Movcam cage, but they seem to be readily available. It turns the tiny BMPCC DC input into, I assume, the 'standard' sized socket used on laptops and possibly the BMCC too. Easier to get/make leads for this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17613[/ATTACH]

The cable is a little loose and I just put a piece of electrical tape around it. I still plan to wire my own cable and managed to buy the right connectors on eBay.
                Could you link me to the adapter please?

Comment

I'm using this
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

and this
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Seems to work fine.

Comment

I ordered the following to test if it is indeed the adapter, and not the Lamparte, however the cable doesn't fit the Pocket's power jack ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191366156438

I basically just need a new adapter that connects the lamparte, anker and pocket together .. I'm in that moment where because there's three different things to consider all with different input/outputs measurements, I'm kinda lost ..

Been one of them days ..

Comment

Apologises for the repetitiveness .. Do require some urgent help however!

Turns out I'm not using the Lanparte afterall .. But the one that came with the Anker itself ..

Anyway - I've tested multiple adapters, and the issue remains, which rules out the adapter being responsible .. I've tested the Pocket's power jack with the Pocket charged via a socket, and there's a solid connection, so that rules out the camera .. Everytime I plug something into the Anker, it lights up, which rules out the Anker .. So it has to be the Anker's cable - which, one end, connects to the Anker's output, the other end, to the adapter, which then connects to the Pocket. I'm not exactly sure what all the measurements of each jack is so I've done a diagram to explain ..

The Lanparte apparently doesn't fit the output on the Anker .. Is there not an adapter that fixes this? Might be worth me trying that and ditching the Anker's cable all together ..

Worst comes to worst, could I not just power the pocket for all interior shoots of a plug socket via the power cable it came with?
                      Last edited by martinmcgreal; 03-09-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

The measurement you are looking for is 1.7 x 4.0 to plug into the anker's DC output. Technically Anker's plug size is slightly different than that and is proprietary, but 1.7x4.0 works fine.

You could either cut your BMPCC adapter and splice with this to get to your anker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

Or find a 2.1mm cable to run between your BMPCC and the anker and adapt it with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Comment

Originally posted by martinmcgreal View Post
                          Worst comes to worst, could I not just power the pocket for all interior shoots of a plug socket via the power cable it came with?
                          You can absolutely do this. Any time.
                          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by modernvigilante View Post
                            The measurement you are looking for is 1.7 x 4.0 to plug into the anker's DC output. Technically Anker's plug size is slightly different than that and is proprietary, but 1.7x4.0 works fine.

You could either cut your BMPCC adapter and splice with this to get to your anker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

Or find a 2.1mm cable to run between your BMPCC and the anker and adapt it with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00
                            The second listing doesn't ship to the UK unfortunately ... All Amazon/Ebay lisitngs of them adapters appear to be from Hong Kong too - not ideal, considering how soon I need one ..

The splicing trick is appearing like my best bet, but one, I don't have the tools, and two, I don't have the knowledge either .. And even then, there's the issue with ordering/receiving the correct cable in time for Thursday's shoot ..

Stressing like hell here, even though Stewarts re-assured me with the powering via a socket ..

Makes me wonder why the Anker is so dam popular with the Pocket .. Awkward in size and just as awkward connectivity wise .. Urgh

Is there literally no replica cables of the Anker's in terms of same size either end? That's basically all I need .. A new cable which slots into the output on the Anker, and the input on the adapter in the diagram I posted ..
                            Last edited by martinmcgreal; 03-09-2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

If you need it that quickly you might want to try to source your parts at a local electronics shop. In the US at radioshack the connector you would need size B, you might find it under EIAJ-02 or just listed as 4.0 OD x 1.7 Inner-Diameter. There are "screw on" versions that are sold just as the plug that will need a wire soldered onto the leads, and there are versions that already have a cable connected.

A basic solder kit can be had for under $20 in america, and it really is easy to do and learn if you just google around for tutorials. Also a pretty helpful skill to have in your backpocket for things like this. You'll also need a wirestripper, they are pretty cheap too.

If you are able to find a 4.0x1.7 plug with a cable already connected you could just twist them together and insulate the connections with electric tape as a temporary solution for your shoot on Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X