Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No underwaterhousing for URSA mini possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No underwaterhousing for URSA mini possible?

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get an underwaterhousing for the URSA mini, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
    So I send a e-mail today to Nauticam, they make nice underwaterhousing. (BMCC, BMPCC)
    So I asked them when they would release one for the Ursa mini, this was their reply.

We have chosen not to house Ursa Mini. We bought the camera, and we
    were investigating a compact small housing for the camera for use with
    EF lenses, but BlackMagic has chosen to place the power button under
    the flip out LCD, meaning it is impossible to power on the camera in
    any way with the door closed. We don't feel that a housing with the
    screen open is a good solution for our product line, and will not
    support the camera.
    I'm not sure if an other company will try to solve this problem, but so far it looks like it's a no go..
    www.broodjeaapfilm.nl
    https://www.instagram.com/perrymulder/

If no company ends up making, you might have to look at custom made housing. Here where I live there are a couple of people that do this (not the biggest city form Brazil), so you might find close to you some people that do this as well. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes, thanks for that advice. I'm also considering the version for the BMPC 4k, just not sure how well I'll be able to match the footage with the 4.6k mini.
      www.broodjeaapfilm.nl

Comment

Got a second response today. I asume other companies will have the same problem. Not a smart move on BM's part I would say. Something to think about on the next camera:-)

Thanks for the understanding... We investigated every way around this, but unfortunately there is no "work around" giving us remote power access from the battery terminals, or via lanc. That physical button is the only way to power on the camera.
        www.broodjeaapfilm.nl

Comment

Depending on what you plan on shooting EWA Marine might do something. I have their Red bag housing and it is great.

Comment

Salt water seadive, a good 15 meters down:-) so dont think rhe bag will do for this project, but I'll have a look tho, thanks for sharing.
            www.broodjeaapfilm.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Mulder View Post
              Not a smart move on BM's part I would say. Something to think about on the next camera:-)
              Yes, they really need to consider the dozen or so people who will buy a BM camera and want underwater housing.

Comment

I know there's a planned update for ATEM switcher remote control. I know it's a different beast but I wonder if there will be other forms of remote control that can answer this.

Comment

Can't see why it would be hard to build a housing which keeps the screen flipped open (and thus give access to the power button) and therefore make it easier to monitor too.

The biggest issue I can see is not restricting the airflow of the cooling mechanism.
                  Tom Majerski
                  Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

I just think having the power button hidden behind the LCD panel with no other option for firing up the camera, as the dumbest of design decisions ..... who's the rocket scientist who figured that was a good idea???

Comment

Originally posted by mrsteadi View Post
                      I just think having the power button hidden behind the LCD panel with no other option for firing up the camera, as the dumbest of design decisions ..... who's the rocket scientist who figured that was a good idea???

I remember with the cinema cam - a lot of people complained that the power button was so exposed, and liable to be turned on during transit.

I suppose that the lack of an internal battery in the mini makes this not an issue - but really I don't find it *that* frustrating. Generally before a shoot you would be expecting to go through the menu system anyway to configure the camera, so it seems logical that you won't often be using the camera without opening the LCD panel first.

It also makes it less likely to press it by accident during a take, which you might do if it was on the outside of the panel.

Maybe once or twice when I have been using the EVF only, it would have been useful - but its really not something which is a massive pain.
                      Tom Majerski
                      Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
                      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Abrams View Post
                        Yes, they really need to consider the dozen or so people who will buy a BM camera and want underwater housing.
                        Oh Steven, such a smart reply:-)

It's not just because of the dozen people that would like to take it into the sea
                        There were 3 things I didn't like about the BM ursa mini 4.6k, and those were, no wifi, no nd filters and the placement of the powerbutton. Was it a dealbreaker? No, I can work arround it...But just for your sake, I made that list before I knew I was going to take it into the sea and I'm sure there are many more who think it's weird the camera can not be turned on and off without flipping the lcd screen. It's just a odd position.
                        But yeah..let's not give BM advice on the things their users prefer..that will help them make better formfactors for sure.
                        www.broodjeaapfilm.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                          I remember with the cinema cam - a lot of people complained that the power button was so exposed, and liable to be turned on during transit.

I suppose that the lack of an internal battery in the mini makes this not an issue - but really I don't find it *that* frustrating. Generally before a shoot you would be expecting to go through the menu system anyway to configure the camera, so it seems logical that you won't often be using the camera without opening the LCD panel first.

It also makes it less likely to press it by accident during a take, which you might do if it was on the outside of the panel.

Maybe once or twice when I have been using the EVF only, it would have been useful - but its really not something which is a massive pain.
                          Hi Tom,

Yes, that could be the reason why they made that decision and maybe it's a legit decision, certainly not a dealbreaker for me as I'm in the market for the 4.6k mini, but I'm just pointing out that by making this decision it also came with a con, that I hope they will solve in their next design.
                          About why the screen can not stay open I'm not sure. Maybe they tought it would be to fragile, or maybe it has to do with balance, also a diver would like to use the screen on top of the camera, the side is not handy for them, so they would buy a external monitor anyway.
                          I've been searching google for other manufacturers to see if they came with a solution, but so far no luck. wich sucks, couse now I will need to find a camera that will match with the ursa mini 4.6k and it means additinal costs for the project, cause I'm sticking with the ursa mini for the shots above water.
                          Just imagine taking a mini 4.6k into the sea..that would of been epic without buying a RED!
                          Last edited by Perry Mulder; 02-19-2016, 06:26 AM.
                          www.broodjeaapfilm.nl

Comment

Not to worry. AquaVideo will be making a housing for the Mini as soon as I get my 4.6K (we are a BMD dealer and have had the 4.6K on order since NAB 2015 so should be one of the first. Or as soon as someone loans us a 4K. (Been busy with some other things so haven't pushed getting a loaner 4K.)

As Tom says there is no problem making it so the screen is open. It may be that it would get too bulky to have the screen open enough to use for viewing (so would use a small monitor at the back of the housing) but the power button is toward the rear so the screen only needs to be open 3/4" or so for us to get in there with a control for the power button.

We were the first to build housings for the Redone, and Epic.

We have built housings for the BMD Cinema 2.5 and 4K.

Over the past few years we have also built for the Phantom cameras, Fastec hiSpeed, Sony F55, Sony PMW-200 and similar sony prosumers, Sony AX100, Panasonic GH series, Canon and Nikon dSLRs, etc. over 30+ years we have built housings for over 300 different cameras - it's what we do.

Pics below of an AquaVideo Epic housing. Ursa Mini will be similar.

The URSA mini won't be that difficult - pretty similar really to a lot of the prosumer cameras like the Panasonic DVX and Sony mid size HD cams.

Pricing will be between $3500 - $4500. Depth rating typically about 175 feet.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by AquaVideo; 02-19-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Hi AquaVideo, with this news you just made my day, seriously!
                              Price seems fair too! My diver prefers a monitor on top of the camera, as I tought most divers do?
                              What your view/take on that?
                              www.broodjeaapfilm.nl

Comment

Working...
                              X