Shooting 2x Anamorphic on the BMPC4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting 2x Anamorphic on the BMPC4K

I've had an ISCO 2x sitting on the shelf first waiting for BMD to release a firmware upgrade for shooting 4:3, then waiting on the URSA Mini 4.6k anamorphic shooting mode... I got tired of waiting and decided to test shooting 2x on the BMPC4K's 16x9 sensor.

I shot 4K RAW, conformed to cinescope in Resolve. Chopped off 300 pixels on either side and downscaled to 2K.

Not too shabby - Love the soft look from the SLR Magic Rangefinder on the ISCO (+ Samyang 50mm).

https://vimeo.com/150399999

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_5485.jpgIMG_5490.jpg

Looks good, love the soft light you always get in your shots. I don't see how hard it would be to do a 4:3 mode on their cameras since they already have "Window" modes on the URSA the coding knowledge is there just insert the right pixel numbers and off to the races we all are. Would be so awesome if they did as this would breath life once again into their older products and clear shelves

Comment

Looks amazing! And the actress playing the girl behind the camera really delivers.
      Ugh, makes me want to shoot anamorphic.

(A quick tip editing-wise btw is to add a bit of de-reverb to the audio and trim some of the split seconds between the dialogue to make it snappier, so your emphasized pause towards the end is underscored even more. And to trim a tiny bit off the shot of the girl in front of the camera as she catches the pack of cigarettes. Just adds to the flow of things.)

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

ˇOlé, Olan!

Comment

Nice work Olan. There's something organic about bringing that vintage ana look into such a contemporary piece. The lighting is lovely and the performances strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tolin View Post
            Looks amazing! And the actress playing the girl behind the camera really delivers.
            Ugh, makes me want to shoot anamorphic.

(A quick tip editing-wise btw is to add a bit of de-reverb to the audio and trim some of the split seconds between the dialogue to make it snappier, so your emphasized pause towards the end is underscored even more. And to trim a tiny bit off the shot of the girl in front of the camera as she catches the pack of cigarettes. Just adds to the flow of things.)
            Thanks Tolin! Appreciate the feedback and tips. Will make a note of that.

Comment

This was a great dialogue, enjoyable short.
              The only distraction for me was the heavy CA on the sides, and even though this is real anamorphic (and that's always a pleasure to see) the bokeh was a bit over the top. I would stop down the lens a few notches next time.

Comment

A total pleasure to watch this morning. Thanks Olan!

Comment

This was a great dialogue, enjoyable short.
                  The only distraction for me was the heavy CA on the sides, and even though this is real anamorphic (and that's always a pleasure to see) the bokeh was a bit over the top. I would stop down the lens a few notches next time.
                  Nice job and also liked the look, but I found the very heavy chromatic aberrations to be distracting. Is this caused by the Rangefinder attachment?
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085719/

Comment

I too think it was a nice little film,but find the chromatic aberrations to be too much .most likely the rangefinder (as I have watched few other clips using the rangefinder and seems is the cause of this),anyone know if slr Magic is looking to fix this or have a version 2 maybe in future ? Also has anyone tried to correct it in post ,how easy will it be ?

Comment

Originally posted by sammy View Post
                      I too think it was a nice little film,but find the chromatic aberrations to be too much .most likely the rangefinder (as I have watched few other clips using the rangefinder and seems is the cause of this),anyone know if slr Magic is looking to fix this or have a version 2 maybe in future ? Also has anyone tried to correct it in post ,how easy will it be ?
                      I have the range finder on my Kowa 8Z and I don't have the extreme CA that this short does. It might be your ISCO lens being that it is a projector lens?
                      Great work though, I loved this. I agree with the 4:3 mode I wish they would add that and anamorphic desqueeze to the VA and I'm set!

Comment

Yup - unfortunately. Small[ish] price to pay for single focusing. The witness marks were pretty spot on once calibrated with the anamorphic adapter.

Comment

Working...
                        X