PTZ heads for Micro Studio Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTZ heads for Micro Studio Camera

Anyone ever used a motorized head? I'm interested in learning more about the compatible motorized heads that can be used with the MSC. I currently use a Sony BRC PTZ camera and would like to upgrade. The MSC seems like an ideal replacement if there are motorized heads that work well and operate silently. According to the BMD website:

The expansion port features PTZ output so you can attach the camera to motorized heads. PTZ communication uses the RS-485 protocol, which is an industrial strength version of RS-422. Pan, tilt and zoom commands can be sent from an ATEM switcher over SDI to the camera. Servo lenses are smoothly zoomed directly from the camera, while the pan, tilt and zoom commands are also sent from the expansion ports PTZ output to a compatible motorized head.
    Thanks for your help

We won't know which PT heads are compatible until BM releases which protocols they plan on using, likely something like Pelco D. Then the interface will need to be built into the Atem, I don't believe that it exists yet. BM has a lot on the plate, I'd be surprised to see any of this functionality implemented before 2016. Dedicated external controls are relatively affordable but not more so than the Atem which I'm considering for the sole purpose of controlling MSCs. I'm a bit confused myself on how many cameras can be controlled via the Atem. There don't seem to be enough SDI outs unless camera control can be DA'd, there's definitely a shortage of information where the studio cams are concerned.

Comment

Howie, I think the ATEM can control up to 15 cameras.

Comment

Thanks Rick, since there are only a handful (way less than 15) of SDI outs of any given Atem are they DA'd? Does it use an aux bus? There's nothing on the back plane that's labelled "SDI control". HDSDI is capable of transmitting way more data than camera control would ever require but not owning an Atem or studio cam it's implementation remains a mystery.

Comment

I agree! It is on one of the descriptions of the Studi camera or more likely the Micro Studio camera I was reading that mentioned control of up to fifteen cameras from an ATEM. Let me know if you want me to dig into it further.

Comment

I wonder what type of control they're talking about? I've seen there is some type of color control (master black, gamma, & gain I believe) from the ATEM for the BM cameras. I'm equally interested in this PTZ control of the Micro Studio Camera and would love to know what experience anyone has with any of the standard moving heads available now...

Comment

What switcher are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
                What switcher are you using?
                Planning on getting a used ATEM soon. I'm encouraged by the PTZ compatibility with the MSC. I have a single PTZ camera (SD) in our concert hall right now but would like to upgrade soon. We've been looking at other options but this seems like it would be much more inexpensive and perhaps more compatible with the switcher in the long run.

Speaking of the ATEM, anybody seen these hardware controllers for them: http://skaarhoj.com/products/overview/

There's an ATEM usergroup that has a lot of info: http://www.atemuser.com/

Comment

Working...
                X